Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 12-23-2022, 05:24 PM   #41
DanBoals
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Dan, don't tease us. Just cite the passage please.

Anyway, we're decades past using what Doc wrote in the 'Bible/Follow Ups' as the definitive and only recommended handicapping tools.

People should use what WORKS for them. If one is profitable (and enjoys the process) - keep on doing what you're doing. If not, yet, people could try some of the advice of reputable/profitable members here.

Ted

Sigh ...

Howard said they are no longer useful. I use them every time I handicap a known track. Different people use different things in the software. For some random out on the internet to dictate what everyone else who buys the software has a right to see is kind of stupid. As long as something like vectors doesn't displace something else, what is wrong with including it?
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:29 PM   #42
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Follow Up #80

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:33 PM   #43
Ted Craven
Grade 1

And just in case there's any confusion - we've already established in this thread that people will be able to test out these Vector Graph numbers, at least in a few upcoming rounds of RDSS testing, if not also in the final release version. To see if they are useful.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 12-23-2022, 06:34 PM   #44
Lt1
Grade 1

So do I Dan and have won many a race by doing so. Also at the very end of that statement he did say they were still useful in the early late graph. I always check the TPR screen and check the %VDC numbers. Another useful tool .
Tim
Old 01-09-2023, 06:11 PM   #45
CEW
Grade 1

Dan, I use something similar to the graphs you are referring to. This would be the Biasgraph. It is detailed in Follow Up 9 I believe. I'm an old Phase 3 guy and use it in Excel and I print the graph as part of my readouts. Ted might prefer I don't get too wild about it here, but I can send you an example. Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:26 PM   #46
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEW View Post
Dan, I use something similar to the graphs you are referring to. This would be the Biasgraph. It is detailed in Follow Up 9 I believe. I'm an old Phase 3 guy and use it in Excel and I print the graph as part of my readouts. Ted might prefer I don't get too wild about it here, but I can send you an example. Chuck

Chuck, no problem - feel free to show your stuff here if you like!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 01-11-2023, 06:50 PM   #47
DanBoals
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEW View Post
Hi Chuck,

I remember reading that when I was going thru the follow ups. I actually do not look at the vector graph itself, but at the 3 numbers. Just as the %med was an upgrade to the %Early, the 3 vectors used in those graphs are a big upgrade to the %med. My occupation has been predominately software development, but my training was mostly in mathematics, so for me, the numbers are easier to digest than the graphs. I know that is the opposite for almost everyone, but I am just like that.

Right now I am on a break until February, but when I pick back up, my first task is to come up with labels for the different patterns of vectors. In follow up 57, Howard came up with a few ideas, but it seems like he was saving it for the future and it just never got developed. This isn't a big surprise, since the death of Pirco, the only advance Howard had that I can consistently show a profit with is the Bottom Line/Betting Line, which I think was brilliant. I do not know if BL/BL was Howard's brain child or someone else's but it is pretty revolutionary in comparing the running lines against each other and weighting them in a meaningful way to get likely winners.

Where I have seen the biggest success of these vectors is in contentious races. Previously, if I had more than 5 contenders, I would pass. I tried to get it down to 3 or 4 contenders, because that is where I show the highest win percentage, but 5 is ok. 6 or more contenders I showed a loss on before the vector analysis. Now, they are my most profitable races.

Dan
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:59 PM   #48
CEW
Grade 1

Hi Dan -

Keep us posted when you return!

Best,

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:21 PM   #49
tleusin
Grade 1

Send a message via Yahoo to tleusin
not where I wanted to post this question but it will not let me start a thread. Downloaded the update and everything is working fine, Noticed on the POH A rating I have not seen before or have simply overlooked. What is the pace vector? Could not find an explanation on site or through search. Thanks for your patience and assitance.
tleusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:48 PM   #50
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleusin View Post
not where I wanted to post this question but it will not let me start a thread. Downloaded the update and everything is working fine, Noticed on the POH A rating I have not seen before or have simply overlooked. What is the pace vector? Could not find an explanation on site or through search. Thanks for your patience and assitance.
Tom, I moved this query from the other Topic to this one, which discusses Pace Vector. This is an EXPERIMENTAL set of readouts in RDSS, per the foregoing discussions.

They may not persist if they are found of little added value. Due to the urgent problem with the missing TS Ratings, I felt compelled to publish this RDSS update which includes several items not quite ready for 'prime time' and also not fully documented.

Again - I make no promises that Pace Vector figs will persist into what will be the formal update (Spring?).

If you find some use, please let us know, or let me know privately!

Ted

R
DSS -