Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
elocutionist
Grade 3

Future of California Racing

Don't be surprised if synthetic tracks are mandated again. I can even see a push to ban racing.
elocutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
ScottB
Grade 1

Both are very doubtful.
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

After that breakdown in the Classic both are a possibly. Dianne Feinstein said if the BC had a breakdown she was going after them. So hold on this horse is about to start bucking.

A synthetic track is also being discussed again at SA. I don't think that is the magic bullet as break downs are caused by a variety of factors such inept trainers to racing them too far up in class where they over extend themselves chasing the speed from their natural instinct. Many reasons that a syn. track doesn't solve. However they do seem to be kindler to the horse that dirt tracks. Also syn. tracks have progressed and come a long way over the years from what was installed at SA before.

The one thing SA has going for it, is that California has tremendous debt and really can't afford to give up a tax base.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 11-03-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #4
ScottB
Grade 1

I think SA had synthetic and went back to dirt. I don’t think they would switch back.

Ban racing, absolutely not!

I never play California tracks as a general rule.
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:51 AM   #5
Mitch44
Grade 1

They did have a syn. but it wasn't Tapeta. The Tapeta type syn. track has stood the test of time and has a proven record of preventing breakdowns, (preventing and reducing but not eliminating),handles heat and dry periods very well such as in California.

Its a very consistent surface and greatly reduces breakdowns. It's presently in use at tracks such as Woodbine, Golden Gates (California) Prescot Isles and several places in Europe.

Its possible SA could switch back to a syn. surface but Tapeta this time, particularity if pressured to close. It would solve at least 99% of their problems.

Mitch44
Old 11-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
mick
Abiding Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
They did have a syn. but it wasn't Tapeta. The Tapeta type syn. track has stood the test of time and has a proven record of preventing breakdowns, (preventing and reducing but not eliminating),handles heat and dry periods very well such as in California.

Its a very consistent surface and greatly reduces breakdowns. It's presently in use at tracks such as Woodbine, Golden Gates (California) Prescot Isles and several places in Europe.

Its possible SA could switch back to a syn. surface but Tapeta this time, particularity if pressured to close. It would solve at least 99% of their problems.

Mitch44
I agree with you, Mitch. Santa Anita should seriously consider installing Tapeta.

I'm sure that most of us watched the BC races. Both the dirt and turf tracks were hard as brick. I can't remember a single deep closer winning a race. The grass on the turf course barely covered the hooves of those horses. The change in SoCal weather has a lot to do with it. It's hotter and drier and I suspect it's only going to get more so. An equine death every ten days on average will put wind in the sails of those who want to ban horse racing, aside from the fact that it's just tragic.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Mitch44
Grade 1

I agree Mick that it is very tragic. I think the owners and management waited too long to get involve along with many other tracks. As far as I know all the protocols that were instituted at SA haven't all been put in place at the other tracks they own.

And all tracks should be more sticker on drug violations as their too tolerant to trainers. All these issues should have been addressed long ago along with a consistent policy throughout for disqualifications. They are indifferent to the fans as well as the horses with an attitude of dam the horses and the bettors.

Its weird the other Cail. tracks don't have this problem, they constantly are changing mangers, perhaps as a cost saving measure. Maybe that's the problem as they do have a new track superintendent. You get what you pay for. Perhaps as an unhappy camper the previous one didn't pass on all his knowledge. Its common to expect workers to train their replacements now a days, then get rid of them. Disney is a perfect example.

I believe a Tapeta track is a strong possibly. I've played Prescot and the speed holds up very well on Tapeta unlike the old type syn. tracks of yesteryear that favored late runners.

Mitch 44
Old 11-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
tom
Grade 1

Nobody did synthetics worse than SA did.
It was an embarrassment.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
gentz
AlwNW2X

I think they used Pro-Ride... The problem wasn't so much with the surface but water wouldn't drain through the base. Even changing to Tapeta that problem may resurface. Synthetics have a sieve like base and for some reason, especially near the quarter pole, drainage was terrible. I remember a Breeders Cup was in jeopardy one year because of it.
gentz is offline   Reply With Quote