Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 01-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
mick
Abiding Student

Random thoughts

Vic, if you decide to purchase these, buy a hardback copy of Mr. Scott's book, not the paperback. The paperback was published first and was so well received that he subsequently published it in hardback, adding more information. Last time I checked, there were plenty of hardbacks available on Amazon.

Personally, I've found that Mr. Scott's form factors are more effective in claiming races at mid-level tracks like Parx, especially the "recency" factor. A claiming horse that hasn't raced in a month or more probably has physical issues. The better trainers can get them ready first race back. The average trainers usually don't. So you have to know which ones can and which ones can't. At the best tracks with the best trainers and the better horses, e.g. Chad Brown or Todd Pletcher at Belmont or Saratoga in allowance or stakes competition, recency isn't an issue. You know their horses can win coming back after a layoff and often do.

Tom Brohamer came along several years after the publication of Mr. Scott's book and "relaxed" some of the rules that he considered either out-of-date or too strict. You can find those changes on pages 14 and 15 in this document:
http://www.sartinmethodology.com/lib...ure.Series.PDF

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #12
Lt1
Grade 1

Hey Mick you forgot the most important thing and that's playing country music while capping lol. Seriously I want to point out that the most important thing is contender and paceline selections. If you are not getting the winner in your top 5 85-90% of the time then all the ancillary things that I choose to do are useless. And I will note that you don't have to do any of the extra things I do to be a consistent winner. RDSS is about as close to a black box a you will find. Use it properly and the profits are there. One thing I do religiously is keep a track model for each track I play, I find %med is a valuable tool for identifying if sprinters stretching out for the 1st time are likely to accomplish the feat. Sprinters at the top end of your %med range for the track and dist being played rarely do so. I also use it to downgrade horses who expend their energy to early or late to win at the tracks I play.
Tim
Tim
Old 01-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
AbqVic
stretch run

Mick: Thanks for the references. I've got Scott's book on the way, but had to check that it is the hard copy. Whew, it is! I just now ordered Quirin's book and also saved the Brohamer Lecture PDF on my computer. I also have Brohamer's book sitting on my desk, unread? So, I think I'm all set with material. All I need to do now is the actual work of learning the ideas. Details, details!

Tim: I hope you prefer "classic" country to "new country." IMHO the Hank Williams Jr. style is hard to beat. More to the matter at hand, your post above clearly sets the standard a profitable handicapper needs to meet. Thank you. I know what I need to do to get the job done.

Vic
AbqVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
Lt1
Grade 1

Yep Vic you bet it's classic all the way.
Tim
Old 01-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
Lt1
Grade 1

Thanks for the compliment Vic but all I'm doing is passing on things I learned from Doc,Jim, Glen C, and the other wonderful teachers I was fortunate enough to meet and hang out with at various seminars.
Tim
Old 01-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #16
mick
Abiding Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
Hey Mick you forgot the most important thing and that's playing country music while capping lol.
Ahhh, yes. If the Lieutenant is awake, the country music is on.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote