Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Tim Y
turf historian

Big day on West coast

We rarely get too many shippers in Vancouver EXCEPT on British Columbia Derby day as we have colts here from California, Alberta and even Toronto with the associated riders along with them

I know that all the "suits" will be really nervous as they were yesterday: I was working the winner's circle and ONCE a year (Championship weekend here) we hire a real live trumpeter for the call to the post (a very nice guy who teaches music to 7th graders). Our television director cued him for every race to play right as the horses came out: Standard Operating Procedure at every track I HAVE EVER BEEN TO IN OVER 45 years. HOWEVER one fellow (a front office clown who knows very little about equines) screamed at him and said "You can't play when the horses are on the track!!" (all the while he had been doing this for EVERY race exactly the same way and not a horse moved a hair in response). So, our director, who had no idea of the change of protocol, was left hanging out to dry. As he was screaming for some explanation, I just handed my radio to the "suit" and he tried his level best to cover his mistake. All the while the owners who had gathered around were having a hard time understanding what the devil was going on.

Hire a "suit" to do a job with horses? It doesn't work.

P,S. EVERY race after that the fellow played JUST as the horses were in the SAME position behind him and nary a one flinched.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote