Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Contests ** The Bill Varone Memorial Cup ** > 2015 Matchup Challenge
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #21
cigar
3-3-1 - 3-3-2

Pook the MAN..........

Way to go Pook, welcome back the winner circle.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #22
mowens33
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
Keeneland #6

Tim is right to be nervous about the 3. A multiple Grade 1 winner. But based purely on matching and what horses have done recently as stated above I ended with 2,4 and 7 as contenders. I don't think the 2 is in the same realm of class . Will go with 4 and 7.

Pook
Pook, what did you see to put you on the 7?

I looked at a pace battle between the 2,4, and 7 and she didn't look like a fighter.
She ran a great race from the EP position!

Thanks, Mike
Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #23
The Pook
Grade 1

Hi Mike,

Looking back I had to really think about what did I see because a case could be made for almost every horse.

I saw the 4 setting the pace at 21.7 44.7. Looking at the tandems there are only two, both slower than what I saw as the projected pace. So it made sense at the time to throw out every horse in those races leaving only 2,4 and 7. The 3 gave me pause because of her Grade 1 winning class. Tim passed the race because of her. But I thought maybe she wasn't the same losing against slower paces more recently. The 5 also looked dangerous but I thought was more of an early that would be done by the 4.

With just the 2,4 and 7 left only the 4 and 7 had done anything against the 21 quarter. I had 7 listed as an early but you can see that two back she was OTE against an even faster pace. So I thought maybe 4 to wire and 7 to catch?

You can see it was more a process of elimination for me and then see what you are left with. I get some of my biggest prices this way. Where you find a reason to throw out a whole block of horses. Works some of the time. I would say chalk usually wins anyway. Have to try and be the contrarian as best I can.

Thats my story.

Pook
Old 10-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #24
cigar
3-3-1 - 3-3-2

What is Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
Hi Mike,

Looking back I had to really think about what did I see because a case could be made for almost every horse.

I saw the 4 setting the pace at 21.7 44.7. Looking at the tandems there are only two, both slower than what I saw as the projected pace. So it made sense at the time to throw out every horse in those races leaving only 2,4 and 7. The 3 gave me pause because of her Grade 1 winning class. Tim passed the race because of her. But I thought maybe she wasn't the same losing against slower paces more recently. The 5 also looked dangerous but I thought was more of an early that would be done by the 4.

With just the 2,4 and 7 left only the 4 and 7 had done anything against the 21 quarter. I had 7 listed as an early but you can see that two back she was OTE against an even faster pace. So I thought maybe 4 to wire and 7 to catch?

You can see it was more a process of elimination for me and then see what you are left with. I get some of my biggest prices this way. Where you find a reason to throw out a whole block of horses. Works some of the time. I would say chalk usually wins anyway. Have to try and be the contrarian as best I can.

Thats my story.

Pook

I remember reading or listening to one of Doc's seminar and he mention "PACE IS CLASS". This race prove that point. The reason I move away for the 7, she did not compete in many graded stakes but her times fits today pace. Lesson to be learn "LISTEN TO YOUR INNER VOICE". Last week I make the same mistake on the 5.

Good call Pook
Old 10-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #25
mowens33
Grade 1

Pook, I like the thought process you used based off your POR analysis,using the elimination process from the previous tandem races is a match-up tool that put you on to a big ticket and that’s what it’s all about.

Thanks, Mike