Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Pace Makes the Race / TPR
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Pace Makes the Race / TPR Discussion, Examples, Lessons from Total Pace Ratings (TPR) aka 'Phase I' from the book 'Pace Makes the Race'

Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #21
Bill V.
The egg man

Finding the fucrum POR

This is a video I made for the RDSS2 forum in 2013. In this video I use the same fulcrum guidelines, I look for the fastest 2nd call POR from the last line only.
But rather than look at the adjusted EPR rating on the TPR screen,
I use the raw pace of race fractions

Here is the video
Fulcrum.mp4

Last edited by Bill V.; 03-10-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #22
Mitch44
Grade 1

Yes Bill post one ,your choice. Then many more can get involved. The feedback should be good and diverse.
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #23
mick
Abiding Student

Thumbs up Thanks, Bill.

Bill - this is a favorite thread. It's such a rich vein of ore to mine. You put a lot of work in it and I wanted you to know it's appreciated.

mick

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #24
Tim Y
turf historian

Horses running in the fastest paced races have endured the greatest pace pressures. USE THAT as your guide:If others show faltering from that pace of race, they will not be a choice today.

Use SEVERAl lines to find the comparisons, don't get stuck in sample error. The better horses REPEAT their efforts and there-by can be counted on more readily.

Last edited by Tim Y; 08-16-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #25
Tim Y
turf historian

SAMPLE ERROR: drawing an incorrect conclusion from too small a data set. Or, the plague of small numbers. That is a denigrating expression of Bernoulli's theory of LARGE NUMBERS, (actually used in insurance actuarials to predict probably of death by age and lifestyle) aka the MORE examples one investigates, the closer those observations are to the reality of the situation.

Read The Drunkard's Walk, a great primer on the foibles of statistical evaluation .....it is eye opening.

Imagine I am from Mars and want to invade Earth. The rational way to scout the target would be to send MULTIPLE probes or groups, all around the planet, and multiple times of the year, to get an idea what they were going to encounter.

I am a dummy so I send ONE expedition and it happens to land in a nice meadow in June in rural Minnesota where I see open land and small animals.

Between these two groups, WHICH would you say probably had the better reconnaissance? and which WILL suffer the effects of Sample Error.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #26
mick
Abiding Student

The Drunkard's Walk

Thank, Tim. I always appreciate a recommendation on a good book. I've ordered it from our local library. And thanks again for the press box tour. It was special.

mick

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #27
tom
Grade 1

Follow Up #16, pages 3-4, Doc talks about the procedural template for the trackside clinics they were doing at the time.

Also, on page 34, an article that goes into greater depth.
Attached Images

tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #28
Tim Y
turf historian

This is a concept that is more theoretical than real.

One needs to find COMMONALITY of pace of race challenges for ir is EXTREMELY DOUBTFUL that any ONE pace line will have all the aspects (early, middle and late) that will serve as a yardstick for all in the race.

The more I study this (and since 1986 I have looked a more than a few contests) I came to a conclusion: all horses have a RANGE of pace of races TO WHICH they can contend. What we call "cheap" animals have the narrowest range of challenge response, all the way up to the stakes winners who have the widest (to give truth to the old saying that CLASS laughs at pace).

Find a few pace lines that are real challenges at this level: put them in the program and find the PACE OF RACES that are the toughest of those listed. You start there. Line up the other horses in the race (ALWAYS LOOK AT ALL OF THEM INITIALLY), see how they match up.

the idea of ONE fulcrum just is not a long range practical standard to attempt to discover. A range is about as close as you can find.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #29
Lefty
Grade 1

I know this thread is a few yrs old but I'd like to chime in about the hefts of Doc's work.

actually,
doc said two members of Pirco stole his mailing list. Not long after, I got a flyer with both Pizzolla's and Schmidt's names on it, so not hard to figure out who Doc was talking about,
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:33 AM   #30
Bill V.
The egg man

Lefty

I wanted to do a follow up race, using the fulcrum method.
I don't usually bet Woodbine till latter in the season.
Mitch posted his selections today in the selections forum, so I was following along.

Race 1 2 and 3 had no fulcrum horses .
Race 4 was a MC10 .I had a tandem race fulcrum with horses 1 , 2 and 9,

The POR fulcrum was a 87 but horse 3 will boost that POR up in this match up

Remember: The fulcrum is a very strong elimination tool.
Its a paceline selection aid.
The fulcrum horse places or shows a very high percentage
I look at the fulcrum as kind of like a mini dashboard of the match up.

Here is my work up of race 4

Name:  Entries.PNG
Views: 729
Size:  46.7 KB
Name:  H1.PNG
Views: 683
Size:  107.5 KB
Name:  Horse 2.PNG
Views: 657
Size:  111.7 KB
Name:  Horse 3.PNG
Views: 692