Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 09-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Lt1
Grade 1

Terrible News

It is with a heavy heart that I have the sad duty to inform all of you that Dick Mathie passed away at 4:17 am this morning. He suffered a heart attack and efforts to save him failed. I'm in contact with his wife and she's not doing well. Fortunately her 2 daughters are there to help. I'll try to keep up with the ongoing situation but with her having the virus and being under house arrest the situation will remain fluid. Dick also has out of town relatives who may want to come in and attend the services. RIP my great friend.
Tim
Old 09-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Tim, OMG - this is such sad news! Rich was always such a generous man and so unassuming and genuine in person, when we all met in Saratoga in 2019. He contributed a LOT to the software tools and methods we use here, and freely gave of his knowledge to all who asked.

He will be sorely missed and lamented. We are grieving.

Prayers to his wife Theta for her recovery from Covid, and for the rest of his family.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
RichieP
Grade 1

Tim,
I am so sorry for the loss of your close friend. I met Richie twice and he was a super guy who always wanted to help me and anyone else who he would meet. An absolute kind soul and brilliant handicapper. My sympathies to all his family and friends.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

RIP Richard Mathie

Saratoga Gathering - 2019

Rich Mathie (right), with Lt1 (Tim G left) and Mitch44 (Galen M center)

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-11-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
Mitch44
Grade 1

This is such a shock, I thought he was improving and on the mend. He was very devoted to his family. Richie always had a calm dementor about him and was generous to others.
Excellent handicapper who had a passion for the game, so glad we were able to meet up at Sar in person after our long phone conversations. Rest in peace Richie, and pray for his wife and family.

Mitch44

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
darmar
Grade 1

RIP Richie

Sorry but I'm at a loss for words over the loss of our dear friend Richie Mathie. Whenever we suffer the loss of one of our group it is so hard to grasp. My heartfelt prayers go out to the family in this saddest of times.
Darryl
darmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
Lt1
Grade 1

My heart felt thanks to all who have responded to this thread. And a special thanks to Ted for reposting the photo above so those that didn't know him can see him. Like Mitch said it was such a thrill to see Rich again at Sar in 2019. Although I talked with him often I hadn't seen him in over 30 yrs. Rich was one of the kindest men I have ever met. He was always willing to give of his time to help those who reached out to him. He was kind enough to share his 4 number system with all of us. He was a calming force in stormy seas. I'm going to miss our daily 4 hr Skype sessions working races. He maybe gone, but like Bill V, he will never be forgotten. I can picture Doc and the Hat at the pearly gates welcoming him home RIP my dear friend.
Tim
Old 09-11-2021, 05:26 PM   #8
barb craven
Grade 1

Ted, thank you for posting that picture. The three musketeers at Saratoga. Words fail me. I'm in such shock. My dear friend of many years is gone. I was so sure he would beat this dreadful disease. One of the kindest persons I've ever met. So giving of his knowledge, so patient, devoted to Theta, his whole family, his little granddaughter who was the apple of his eye, his church. I grieve for Theta, for our circle of friends, for myself, for all on this board. I will miss our long conversations on Skype, our Saturday afternoons spent doing races with our friend Pat (Old Arkie Gal), Theta tiptoing in to see how things were going with the "girls", winning some, losing some, always learning something, but most of all, having fun. You're in peace now dear Dick.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
Lefty
Grade 1

Terrible news. My sympathies to his family and friends.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #10
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

Good-bye Richard

Los Tres Amigo. I love the picture. Three special friends to all of us. I have no words for the loss of my friend Richard. I will miss him and our talks. We shared many things over the years that we knew each other. He was such a special guy. Always in good humor and always ready to share his discoveries. No more long talks, no more sharing of happy times or times of frustration.
He was a friend to everybody he met and always ready to help. Richard, you weren't supposed to leave us like this! May your soul rest in ever lasting peace.
Pat
Old Arkie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote