Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

FL - R1 Stewards

In the first at FL today there was a stewards. 1A won, 5 finished 2nd and 1 was 3rd.

Entering the stretch the 1 interfered with the 5. Stewards followed and the 5 was promoted to 1st even though the 1A didn't cause any problems. I'm prepared to admit that the 5 would probably have won, but even so it was a little rough. I'd managed to get on the 1A at 10/1 on betfair where you can back entries separately.

Just so I know for in future, in the above instance, if the 1A was miles clear and easily won, would it still have been demoted due to the actions of the other part of the entry?
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Lt1
Grade 1

Hi Dave. I believe if I remember correctly the stewards can dq both half of the entry based on the situation. I believe that it is rarely done.
Tim
Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEdwards View Post
In the first at FL today there was a stewards. 1A won, 5 finished 2nd and 1 was 3rd.

Entering the stretch the 1 interfered with the 5. Stewards followed and the 5 was promoted to 1st even though the 1A didn't cause any problems. I'm prepared to admit that the 5 would probably have won, but even so it was a little rough. I'd managed to get on the 1A at 10/1 on betfair where you can back entries separately.

Just so I know for in future, in the above instance, if the 1A was miles clear and easily won, would it still have been demoted due to the actions of the other part of the entry?
I did a quick Google search.
Hope this helps.
http://www.albanylaw.edu/media/user/...ed_entries.pdf
Old 08-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Thanks both

Tim,
To be honest I'd never seen anything like this before & thought I was going to be ok, but there you go. I've calmed down now!

FTL, brilliant document. Enjoyed reading that. It's funny how each state has slightly different rulings. That said, even if the rulings were the same, it would still be open to the interpretation of the stewards. You just hope for consistency.

All said and done, in this case although I was a little upset at the manner of my overturned win, that would have been nothing compared to how I'd have felt if I had backed the 5. It was clearly impeded by the other part of the entry and that impediment helped the 1A to win. Fair enough.

Thanks both!
Old 08-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
Lt1
Grade 1

Thanks to FTL for providing that very interesting article. A real good read underscoring why racing needs a centralized ruling body like all other sports. It won't happened but it sure is needed.
Tim
Old 08-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #6
gandalf380
Grade 1

That reminds me of the time that Julie Krone was riding one half of an entry at Saratoga. The other part of the entry bothered her horse so she claimed foul against the other part of the entry. If she had won the protest she would have been disqualified also.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Jeebs
Grade 1

The FL stewards fouled up in yesterday's 7th. Horse clearly in the hands of the starter while in the gate, dumps the rider and stewards declare that the horse made its own trouble. No refunds. If I'm the owner, I would be filing an appeal with the state gaming commission to have the horse declared as a non-starter and the race removed from its record. Does bettors no good, but it's the right thing for the connections.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Hi Jeebs,

I think I'd give the stalls handler the benefit of the doubt there. Hard to see what happened preceding the trouble, but at least he kept hold of it. I noticed the jockey was running away faster than some of those horses were moving!