Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Old 03-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #61
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post

Discrepancy with Tote (which I love having again). Just wish I'd had this horse.
Mick, well that's just goofy! Let's see if another way of fetching Mutuel results fixes this in all cases.

However, if you can remember or have seen it elsewhere - did/do tote prices for the same horse show different on different Analysis screens?

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 03-14-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #62
mick
Abiding Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
1. Yes - RDSS crashes. I'm working on it! Since a while. Does it crash MORE since adding the new tote system? Previously advised best practices are to open an instance of RDSS and Assemble a card. While that's working, open another instance and Assemble another card. Continue with as many separate RDSS instances as your experience tells you won't crash. I and some others who test this specifically have topped out reliably at 5 simultaneous RDSS instances on Windows 10 (i.e. 64 bit OS) with 8 Mb of memory. Your mileage may vary.
Opening multiple instances of RDSS works best for me. This morning, I assembled four cards with no crashes and no "Non Contenders" races. I can also tell that the program is responding more quickly. Thank you.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #63
mick
Abiding Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
I'm pretty confident my solution to most crashes is 3-fold:

1. migrate my software tools (PowerBuilder) to a new 64 bit capable version. This should give more internal memory to address. Right now, RDSS is a 32-bit program which can run on either older 32 bit Windows versions, or newer 64 bit versions (e.g. Windows 10). Next 3 months or so.

2. Implement parallel/background processing (need to do #1 above first). Then regardless of improved 64-bit memory management, RDSS would open possible multiple invisible background sessions with full memory to compile a single race (or card or batch of say 10 races) just as if you manually opened multiple instances of RDSS to do the same thing, only more efficient. You could still open multiple instances of RDSS if you wanted to, to organize your work. But this would be the more seamless approach. It would allow you to Assemble ALL races for all cards you Download and Convert on the Data Centre right at the same time (e.g. overnight or long coffee break).

I know this works because multiple RDSS instances work. The best schedule I can give for the forgoing is sometime this year. I want desperately to be able to do what I describe above. I want RDSS to Assemble all 300+ races for a weekend on an automated schedule (say after 7am ET when ProfitLine is available), then follow some criteria to search for things based on what it can find AFTER having Assembled races (e.g. vulnerable favourites, too much contention, top heavy Early pace, lone Earlies, no Earlies, Rx rank 1 beats Rx rank 2 by a certain percentage, many other criteria, etc).

3. More detailed debugging of existing code as to where internal memory leaks away (a progammer's favourite pastime, second to tearing one's hair out while cursing at the computer screen ).

Hope that gives more perspective on crashing. I admit it is an annoyance and hindrance which makes RDSS less useful - especially when on the verge of placing a wager at 0 MTP. I am sorry about that .

Ted
Firstly, I don't know how you do it. You're a one-man shop and you're maintaining thousands and thousands of lines of code. So whenever RDSS locks up, I keep that in mind and any frustration I might feel is short-lived.

Secondly, migrating to 64-bit is a good idea. Some users will have to upgrade their computers but it's time. Chip manufacturers stopped making 32-bit processors a decade ago. If they want to run their old Sartin programs, which I'm sure are 16-bit, there are several ways of doing that, e.g. dual-boot into a 32-bit version of Windows or use VirtualBox and run a 32-bit Windows in a virtual environment.

And thirdly, I have given thought to the cause of the RDSS lockups, some of which I've shared with you in PMs and emails. I have an HP Workstation running 32 GB of RAM. It's a beast and nothing should crash it with that much working memory. While I am not familiar with PowerBuilder, having never programmed with it, my guess is that upon startup, RDSS is asking the OS for a certain amount of memory to work with and then two things are happening: (1) after it's completed a task, e.g. assembling a card, RDSS is not releasing the memory it used and is no longer using (i.e. the infamous memory leak) and (2) it's not requesting more memory. By starting multiple instances of RDSS, more memory is being requested by each instance and the result is no crashes.

Years ago, when I was working on a computer science degree (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth with flip phones), I wrote rather modest programs in an early version of C++ and they would crash everything, including the OS. Remember the Windows "blue screen of death"? The old C++ was the worst when it came to memory leaks.

Well, those are my ruminations before a second cup of coffee, for what they're worth. I appreciate all the thought and effort you put into RDSS.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #64
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Secondly, migrating to 64-bit is a good idea. Some users will have to upgrade their computers but it's time. Chip manufacturers stopped making 32-bit processors a decade ago. If they want to run their old Sartin programs, which I'm sure are 16-bit, there are several ways of doing that, e.g. dual-boot into a 32-bit version of Windows or use VirtualBox and run a 32-bit Windows in a virtual environment.
FWIW, there will always be a 32-bit version of RDSS. I'll just add a separate 64-bit version. And thanks for your other thoughts on memory leaks Some of the RDSS code is over 10 years old now and in hindsight, I'm sure there are some things I could have done more efficiently. Getting to them all gradually, while trying to advance things a bit.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 03-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #65
rmath
Grade 1

Problem

When I tried to open RDSS today, I got the following message.

Database error code -1

Has anyone else had this problem?

Rmath
rmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #66
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmath View Post
When I tried to open RDSS today, I got the following message.

Database error code -1

Has anyone else had this problem?

Rmath
Not me. Try: just close and reopen. Are you saying that your RDSS is kaput - never opens anymore under any circumstances? Always same error? If so ...

Is this related to any change you made to the location of your database? Per this long-standing FAQ: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...59&postcount=8

If not - try uninstalling RDSS2.1 then reinstalling. Something about how RDSS is attempting to access the database it was instructed to is not working, or the database became corrupt (which would be the first time I can ever remember such a thing happening ...).

Ted

(I moved this post from the original thread, as it's not related to that major one-day event related to the old Supertote, from earlier this month .)

R
DSS -
Old 03-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #67
rmath
Grade 1

Works now

Thanks Ted. reinstalling seems to have solved the problem.
Dick
rmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #68
gandalf380
Grade 1

PL problem?

Today I downloaded aqu. I ran profitline on the entire card and then assembled the entire card. I could not connect with the toteboard. Had to download file again and go race by race to be able to connect to the toteboard.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #69
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf380 View Post
Today I downloaded aqu. I ran profitline on the entire card and then assembled the entire card. I could not connect with the toteboard. Had to download file again and go race by race to be able to connect to the toteboard.
Sorry Charlie - I am quite confused as to what you mean . Are you reporting a problem with ProfitLine, or with Tote?

You could not connect with the tote board, but then you were able to connect to the toteboard race by race.

What is is you were trying to do, or thought you ought to be able to do, which you could not do?

Could you please try restating this report another way?

For example (just guessing): after the last race is Official (say in the evening), I often retrieve PL and Mutuels for the card, then Assemble ALL races, which process fetches Scratches all races, closing tote odds and Mutuel prices all races, assembles all races and chooses auto-pacelines - so I can review how well Rx did in conjunction with tote odds and ratios relative to payouts.

Were you trying to achieve anything remotely like that? Something different?

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 03-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #70
gandalf380
Grade 1

okay, I will try to be more coherent. About 15 minutes to the first post yesterday, I downloaded the AQU card. I used Profit Line first and got the little red dots on all the races. I then assembled all the races. I then opened up the first race and It would not connect to the toteboard. Eventually, I cleared the cache and started over, this time doing PL and Assemble one race at a time and everything worked fine. I hope this clarifies this enough so you can understand what I did and what the problem was.