Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #21
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hello Bill. Thanks for your input.

I wasn't sure if it was 95 or 97 %. Either way having been around a long time I was somewhat skeptic of such a high percent. Also never saw where this is actually printed or stated.

Once again we come down to a very controlled study. How a study or how a finding is obtained is really crucial and greatly effects the end result. No study is as good as the one conducted by you. Your aware how it was conducted, parameters and all the in and outs of it. It becomes yours. I also expect people to do some work because it reinforces the finding and the lessons learned are never forgotten.

My point of some of this is to not get wrapped around the axle on some of this. A new user could spend years like us honing our skills with pace line selection, contenders etc. There are things within the program that preclude much of that drudgery and are more effective than what an average or even a good user can produce.

I remember agonizing looking at lines and could just not see that difference between two lines. I can now, but the Preceptor tool solves all that for a user and every line within its chart is rated. The Preceptor can solve many issues for those having problems picking the correct line.

Use the best of everything and find out what is best.Find the tools, factors or things within the program to get there. All that is required is a little initiative and tracking of factors or tools within RDSS to come up with the ingredients for a great recipe. If a member can pick pace lines without using the Preceptor than that is great. Its a mistake eliminator for me. Ditto for contenders etc. These two main ingredients(contenders and pace line selection) are really just non-issues now a days.

There are tools that produce very high percentages and better results that also are time savers. These tools can out produce what a average user can obtain on their own.

American Pharaoh never came up better than 4th on any readout in the TC races or the BC Classic and an exception to the top 3 percentages of even the best factors. An exception yes, capture the most and don't fret about the exceptions.

Hope your well Bill and killing them at the track. All my best.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 05-14-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #22
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Good point.

Sorry for the delay in response Mitch, work, kids....you know what it's like!

Practical application is what I need more of. I think I've spent too much time reading and considering and not enough actual doing. I think also that the reading side tracks me a little. With so much reading material available it's so easy to get sidetracked.

I wasn't planning on par analysis as such, but was looking to gain an understanding of the class structures and how it all fits together. It's a shame that races don't have an official rating, or perhaps it's not. Those prepared to work to find the nuggets.

It was just that reading Quinn's book recently really brought home to me how little I knew about that aspect of racing. Maybe I don't need to apply it as such, but it was a valuable read. In my top 3 now with MPH and Thoroughbred Cycles by Mark Cramer.
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #23
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hello Dave,
Yep been there and done that so yes I do know what its like.

Practical application is the greatest thing you can do to further understanding both the game and the RDSS program. We learn by doing and its the greatest reinforcement and method to learn something. We tend to forget what was read etc. but not what we actively participated in and accomplished.

Combine both reading and practical application with greater emphasis on practical application. Read the latter Follow Ups magazines, the early ones have stuff that has been superseded and can lead you in the wrong direction.

Yes there is still plenty of good stuff in the earlier ones but if you haven't been around long enough to go through the evolution you won't know what's current and still valid or what has been replaced with better tools, factors etc.

Quinn's book is excellent and will help you to discount horses in your top 4.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 05-16-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:56 AM   #24
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Thanks Mitch,

Yes, I agree and am going to set up a schedule where I can focus on actual practice. When time is short it's easy to get dragged away or to end up betting without the pre-requisite amount of home work done and that's never a good thing!
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #25
Mitch44
Grade 1

Dave :

Three points;1 its best to go slow and do one race slowly but correctly than doing a bunch of races fast. Speed will come once a specific procedure becomes synaptic, 2. Nothing outperforms actually doing races as we learn by doing, reading only accounts for a small percentage of the learning experience. Participation will drive you to your objective,3 Along the way one doesn't have to bet but it sure lends to the experience and provides valuable insights into mistakes. Bet small initially, without some money on the line your decision making will be different.

Good luck,
Mitch44