Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
shoeless
Grade 1

Last Thoughts

I just wanted to thank everyone who has helped me here and also the people who sent me e mails while I was suspended.I will no longer be posting here for many reasons the main one being that it's like walking on eggs posting here because you wonder if the message will either get deleted or edited by the moderators.Many men and women have died for this country protecting our rights freedom of speech being one of them.I do not believe this site allows you to do so.Quite a few good handicappers who I respect Pino,Partsnuts,Fast and Tim Y have been chastized by members here for posting different views of the Sartin Methodology.As far as Tim Y and Fast I used to be one of the ones who piled on and I apologize for doing so,I just started thinking hey at least these guys are taking the time to post.Some of you should really lighten up here life's too short and dang this is aint nothing but a horse racing website.Any of you feel free to e mail me if you ever want to share ideas and I hope our paths will cross down the road.Jeff

Just to let you know while Doc had many outstanding ideas on racing his main purpose was to make money.For anyone who doesnt believe this I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
partsnut
BetMix User

Jeff,

I am in total agreement with your thoughts and feelings.
I wanted to respond to your post, which I believe is the best one you've ever made.
It is and will be my belief that free speech, thought and opinion has died here.
I further believe that this forums intent is focused on other things that are financially motivated as opposed to "friends helping friends".
The deceptive, promotional and devisive tactics that are being practiced here are an insult to ones intelligence.

I apologize for those that take offense to this but this is your priviledge.

There are still a lot of good people here that I hold as friends that will eventually come to the same conclusions. Hopefully, we will be in contact with each other. I'm easy to reach.

As with many of my recent posts, I expect this post to be deleted so I made a copy of it and will post it to my users group and blog.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
xtb
Grade 1

It baffles me how some people feel they "have the right" to enter someone's establishment and behave however they want. It makes me wonder how these same people act as a guest in someone else's home. Do they really believe that their "rights" supercede a host's right to create and operate a website how the host wishes? There is nothing preventing these same people from creating their own websites to exercise their "freedom of speech", except themselves.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Looks to me like freedom of speech is alive and kicking at PaceandCap
Old 09-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
delmarscott2004
delmarscott2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
It baffles me how some people feel they "have the right" to enter someone's establishment and behave however they want. It makes me wonder how these same people act as a guest in someone else's home. Do they really believe that their "rights" supercede a host's right to create and operate a website how the host wishes? There is nothing preventing these same people from creating their own websites to exercise their "freedom of speech", except themselves.
I am in total agreement with the above and I know Bill V will continue to do a great job with this site ,assisted by so many good teachers and friends.

Vanoy
Old 09-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
JimG
Grade 1

I'm really going to miss the melodrama. Guess I'll have to go back to watching soap operas.

Last edited by JimG; 09-11-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I'm glad for this Topic, as it gives (another) opportunity to clarify (if there is possibly anyone left who doesn't understand this yet), that no one gets censored or suspended or banned from Pace and Cap for expressing dissenting opinion, or even for discussing horse racing concepts unrelated to the Sartin Methodology or The Match Up (though these last 2 topics are indeed the focus of this website - just check the mast-head graphic).

Courteous, informative, thought-provoking, friendly, even inspiring discussion is the goal here (not always achieved, but still sought after). So if a post is discourteous or uncivil (e.g. 'you're an asshole/idiot/thief') it will be editted or deleted. If someone actually is an asshole, or a know-it-all, or a bully, or a rabble-rouser in their private life, or community or social circle - that is not the issue or responsability of anyone here to change that, only to prevent that behaviour from disrupting THIS community. If that is a member's inclination in their posting, those posts will be editted or deleted sooner or later. Don't bait other posters, don't raise old rivalries or perceived or actual insults needlessly. You don't HAVE TO join every fight - you don't HAVE TO have the last word in every discussion: some people just can't resist this tendency and, in my opinion, it tends to speak poorly of oneself for rising to such bait.

But if you say Sartin is a bum, or if he was mainly interested in money, or if you don't like that some software or educational or historical materials are offered here for money, well I see no reason for censorship there. It doesn't mean it's true. Even if you forget to add "in my opinion" to your post, though some people have a communication style that just states things baldly as if their opinion were the gospel truth and imply that disbelievers are ill-informed or ignorant (though this writing style can be REALLY GRATING) - even so, why not try to just pretend that such styles of posting are actually THAT PERSON'S OWN OPINION, possibly worthy of consideration, but not necessarily fact. Some topics are subjective - there is no absolute truth, only points of view.

This forum does not permit 'anything goes' - I believe words to that effect are stated in the Registration Terms of Use. Those who fight and die for freedom of speech, in all civilized countries, also endorse community standards and enforce norms of civil behaviour. Many people have put too much time, money and spirit into building this community to let it be diminished by immature or overbearing tone of voice. It scares newcomers or lurkers from posting (and learning), fearing flames; it drives existing members away. People come here from some OTHER horseracing websites because they dislike the tolerance of bad behaviour there.

I believe I myself have editted (and not deleted) precisely 1 post so far, where someone called someone an 'a**hole' and I said in advance that I would do that. As for Pace and Cap becoming commercially focused, well I guess that refers to me, Ted Craven and to RDSS, since that's the only thing I know of promoted here where money is currently accepted for anything (oh, besides the Library, for which a self-determined donation is suggested, not even required, which Library represents thousands of dollars of many people's previously purchased materials and huge time investment to collate into a publicly available online resource, plus management of the related web infrastructure). If you don't like RDSS, or me, or the Google ads at the bottom of the page (does anyone even notice these?), just avert your eyes, just ignore it!! Also just ignore that Doc Sartin says RDSS is a rightful continuation of his work, so what else did you think would be happening on a website focused on The Sartin Methodology.

For the record, I too am focused on making money. I made way better money developing commercial software for years. I'd like my horse-racing software project to turn into a viable business and I thank Bill V for making space available here for me to pursue that goal. I think approximately 99% of people have no problem with that, but I may be wrong. If I wanted to make even more money, I would not be sharing RDSS with anyone (hint: betting, but take that up with my wife and my mother), so optimizing my time for making money by selling RDSS is not my primary focus. If anyone is tired of seeing too many people posting their RDSS stuff or mentioning it in their work, take it up with those members themselves. None of the Pace and Cap moderators control what software people choose to post examples of, or discuss. As for my videos on RDSS usage, or Richie's videos teaching the Match Up, or Bill V's videos showing how he wins races, or my upgrade/resurrection of Doc's Validator software (Val4) or anyone else's screenshots or sharing of any spreadsheets or tools or descriptions of their successful and hard-earned methods - last I looked they were all offered freely, and in the spirit of friends helping friends.

This post is actually not addressed to Jeff or to Partsnut per se, as I'm not seeking (or able) to change their opinion about anything. I am seeking to correct misinformation about the policies of Pace and Cap (such as I understand them) regarding 'freedom of speech' and 'censorship' - for others who may be confused by what was said in the opening posts.

Jeff and Partsnut: if you want to post then post; if you don't then don't. I'm pretty sure you already knew what the rules of discourse were - you were just trying to see if anyone was paying attention, right? In any event, I wish you great fortune with whatever horse racing software or method you use, and I do wish you a positive experience with life.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-11-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
Houndog
Grade 1

Something to Consider

This is not my writings but I think it is appropriate for this thread.

There are indeed holy beings who walk among us, who have much to teach us from the wisdom of their old souls, from souls that have perhaps always been old. And every once in a while, we find ourselves fortunate enough to be in a place where we are prepared to listen. And if we are very fortunate indeed, we might even remember what we have been taught: to be humble, to really pay attention, and to be grateful for the beauty to be found in each other, not in spite of our flaws, but because of them.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
This is not my writings but I think it is appropriate for this thread.

There are indeed holy beings who walk among us, who have much to teach us from the wisdom of their old souls, from souls that have perhaps always been old. And every once in a while, we find ourselves fortunate enough to be in a place where we are prepared to listen. And if we are very fortunate indeed, we might even remember what we have been taught: to be humble, to really pay attention, and to be grateful for the beauty to be found in each other, not in spite of our flaws, but because of them.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.
Leonard Cohen (Anthem)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7FRukQX3pA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt9ELx3GhfQ

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 09-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

Jeff,

I hope you reconsider your action. Pace and Cap' without Shoeless is like a day without (fill in the blank).

All the best, my friend.

Jon