Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Pace Makes the Race / TPR
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Pace Makes the Race / TPR Discussion, Examples, Lessons from Total Pace Ratings (TPR) aka 'Phase I' from the book 'Pace Makes the Race'

Old 07-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #21
Bill V.
The egg man

get back

Hi Jeff

You and FTL and Pino all woke me up to READ THE CONDITIONS
You know how much I admire you and your ability

Hope you are doing well as usual with ENERGY

Good Skill
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #22
lostandwon
Grade 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
FTL

Nice job explaining things, I always enjoy your posts and wish you
would do so more often.

Jeff
Just want to echo the sentiments above
lostandwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #23
lone speed
Grade 1

Cool Intrinsic value

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Lead View Post

I take a lot of heat for analyzing a horse after it won or a race after it is over. Most recently, that was the case with the horse that won the CT race. It was the only horse shown so I looked it and offered and alternate look at it to allow people to see the horse in a different light. (my alternate look was based on what I just laid our for you) When I think about it, I can’t recall any teaching race in any follow up that was shown before that race was run. Funny how that works. When trying to teach you use examples. Examples naturally come from past experience. I can’t think of any author who writes a book illustrating how to lose races. I doubt that that would be a very big seller. Authors always show old races, races that are long since over, as examples of how to get a winner. I wonder if they get heat too? Nahhh. They just get money from the sale of their book that “red boards” on every other page! But, hey, who cares? People hand over their money and are happy to so if it means learning how to pick more winners. As far as they are concerned..."red boarding" be damned. Just show us how to get more winners!
You have been around here a long time. I think you understand that my interest has always been in trying to help people to get more winners. And what the hell, it doesn't even cost anything!
Intrinsic value:
The intrinsic value does not depend on what the world thinks. It is something of value to us regardless of what others think and what it costs us to live those beliefs.

FTL..

I for one have always looked forward to your contributions of your well thought out and well written detailed posts. it takes effort, energy and time to write out our inner thoughts on the point of discussions.

I would rather read your contributions a thousand times over some spewed out post of someone's picks before the race or a "Red Boarder" who posted his supposedly winning picks after a race is over.

I have said it many times over that I would rather "learn to fish to live" versus "being given a fish to eat".

FTL, many thanks for your invaluable insights and contributions over the years. They provided many impetus to think outside the proverbial box and to approach the game from the gained experiences and wisdom from someone who has selfishly shared their knowledge freely in a public settings without writing a book.

Sincerely

Lone Speed
lone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #24
shoeless
Grade 1

Hey Bill

I think you have surpassed me in understanding conditions

Energy is a good program I am probably not using it correctly
but trying

Jeff
shoeless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #25
shoeless
Grade 1

FTL,

I have been playing the horses for 50 years, sure I have had big
winning days but never been a consistent winner. People probably
think I am crazy still trying to beat game at 66 but I don't bet over
what I cant afford to.

There are plenty of people here who have benefitted from your advice
so I wouldn't let those few who don't bother you.

I know it's on here somewhere but if you have time could you go over
optional claiming races.That is one condition I have trouble with of what
horses fit

Jeff
Old 07-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #26
Bill V.
The egg man

Option

Hi Jeff

Our long friendship has shown me, We have a common bond,
We have had to endure a hard road, I know you have the skill
I feel for you. You have dreams. I see in you a desire to never give up.
I won't give up thinking it will all come together for you. My hope that soon your love of racing will reward you.

Dad and I were chatting the other day and he asked how you are doing.
I told him you are doing well, he admires you so much, You made a lasting impression on us both.

FTL knows so much,
Here is what I have learned from him.
The Optional Claiming condition,
Actually I posted a race yesterday from Del Mar It was an Allowance Optional Claimer

The winner of the race. Horse # 7 was the only horse eligible to be claimed.
They raised the horse in class after so much success at Golden Gate
None of the other horses in the race were up for sale. In the race, every other horse had recent wins at the CL40000 level. Today's race was for $62500
Not many older horses are going to be claimed for $62500. If they carded a race for 62500 the field would never fill. If a horse is worth 62500 and is offered for sale It will be claimed and the connections would lose probably one of the best horses in their barn. This field looked like a group of established claimers, Only horse 3 and the favorite horse 5 had any stakes races shown.
They have to add conditions to high level claiming races, There just are not that many places for them to compete in straight allowance Nonwinners X3
and they might be unable to win stakes races.

Name:  Allow.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  menfor.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  214.9 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #27
For The Lead
Grade 1

Bill has it.

Look, read the basic type of race. I'm not going to list all of them, but here are a few standard types:

Graded
Stakes
Allowance
Claiming
Maiden Special weight
Maiden Claiming

Maiden Special Weight and Maiden Claiming don't have conditions, they have restrictions, such as restricted to "STATE BREDS".

When you get to claiming races you start finding a bunch of different conditions. Some are standard, like NW2L, NW3L, NW4L, NW16M, NW26M, NW1Y, NW2Y and so on. Others are actually "made up". An example would be "for horses that have not been in the money at the current meet". Some don't even apply to the horses, like "for trainers that have not won a race at the current meet". You'll find these types of conditions at tracks like Turf Paradise , Finger Lakes and other very low level tracks.

When you get to Allowance races you can find a NW2L condition. Mostly at cheaper tracks. Once you get away from those low level tracks the most common condition for horses entering the Allowance ranks is "non-winners of a race other than maiden, claiming, or state bred". Another entry level condition is "non winners of $ (a stated amount of money) one time other than maiden, claiming or state bred. These conditions escalate from non winners of "a" race to non winners of "2" races and so on. A successful horse will eventually run out of conditions, at which point they enter the "Stakes and Graded" class levels.

Ok, so now to answer your specific question. Start by reading the race type. "Allowance Optional Claiming". That in itself tells you something about the condition of the race. What it means is, the race will be run under allowance conditions, such as the ones I mentioned above. Once you reach the end of the allowance condition of the race your will see "OR" which means there is another "option" to be eligible to enter the race. That "option" is that you may enter you horse as long as it is eligible to be claimed for whatever the specific claiming price is. The race is basically an allowance race, but in hopes of "filling" the race so it will go, the option to be claimed is added. This is similar to a claiming race with a NW26M condition that also allows NW3L to enter so the race will fill.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #28
shoeless
Grade 1

FTL and Bill thanks you cleared that up

Now you made me think of another race that gives me trouble

Allowance ranks is "non-winners of a race other than maiden, claiming, or state bred" also non winners of 2 other than

What type of horses should I be looking at that would fit at this level

Jeff
Old 07-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #29
shoeless
Grade 1

Bill

Thanks I feel the same way about you and your Dad.

Like I have said before I really admire the way that you stick
to one way of doing things and are successful at it also the way
your able to win with all of the programs

Jeff
Old 07-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #30
dlivery
Grade 1

Exciting to see FTL and Bill go the extra mile

I have no success over the years just reading
But seeing the results has made me a believer in reading the conditions up to the word OR

Nice to keep this topic alive