Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
HatsGirl
AlwNW1X

Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw

Hello Race Fans,

I wanted to join your forum, meet those of you, that knew my Dad, Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw. In two months, Dad will have been gone for 11 years. There is not a day goes by, that I do not miss him.

Last year, I had to move Mom (LeRoi) to assisted living. She is doing so much better there. When I was cleaning out their home of 52 years, I came across many items from their life of racing. I found a letter from a gentleman from New Jersey that came to have a one on one training sessions with The Hat. However, the letter was not signed. The letter was so heartfelt, and funny, I wish I knew the author.

I have to set up a profile picture. It can't be denied, that I am "The Hats" daughter, I look just like him.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you.
HatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Lt1
Grade 1

Hi and welcome. I was fortunate enough to have been befriended by both your dad and mom. They were always so friendly whether it was racing related or anything else. I got a kick how LeRoi would give the the Hat a little needling at the many seminars I attended. I would swap some NYPD war stories [I am a retired NYPDLt] with them and Doc. Glad to hear that Leroi is doing well. Once again welcome and say hello to your mom for me.
Tim G
Old 02-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
HatsGirl
AlwNW1X

Smile

Hello Tim, thank you for responding, and your fond remembrance of my parents. I think you gave Dad, an NYPD cap to wear. I also think, that maybe an NYPD card, that is blue & gold. I believe that it is still in Dad's wallet at Mom's apartment.

My husband & I live in both Oklahoma, and Colorado. We are still in Colorado, so I can not look at Mom's apartment.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
Lt1
Grade 1

Guilty as charged. He also liked police patches that I was able to get from various Departments around the country. Like I said I was one of the fortunate ones to have been called friend by both Jim and LeRoi. We did manage to always seem to find the hotel watering hole at the end of the day where Jim would spin some of those Okie tales of his. One of the funnier stories the Doc told us was when he and Jim were at the track at Woodbine Canada, Jimmy noticed that what we called triples at the time was called a triactor Jim then turned to Doc and said look Howard they have tractor races up here. Needless to say we were rolling on the floor. Another of Jims' famous story was when he would stand up before the group at a seminar and proudly proclaim, that before he met Doc, he was once such a losing player that he once bet every horse in the race so he could say he had the winner. None of us could believe that but he swore it was true. I think that you will hear more stories as people see this thread. I know that Richie P has many of his own which he has shared a few times up at the Saratoga meet ups. They will keep you laughing for hours. Mitch 44 and RMath are 2 more who have good tales. In fact Mitch was living in NJ at the time and maybe the one who wrote that letter you mentioned. Well I rambled too long. Hopefully some more old timers will join in shortly.
Tim
Old 02-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hello HatsGirl,

I was with Tim (LT1) at those waterholes after the classes were over. Always fond of both your parents who were terrific friends. I sent a big ham to Leroi so she would not have to cook when he passed. Some years later she still recalled that and asked how Tim was doing as we were always tight and together.

I brought and used your Dad's program of Aodds Gold and used it for quite sometime. I was living in NJ but honestly don't recall the letter and would have signed it, so most likely someone else.

Glad to here your Mom is doing well. Send her Tim's and I warmest regards and best of health.

Galen G. Mitchell AKA Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
Bill V.
The egg man

Welcome

Dear Hat's Girl

Welcome so much to Pace and Cap. It was such an honor to have your father contribute to our community. When I find my self feeling down, these days
I remember the joy your dad and Howard Sartin gave to Pace and Cap members.

He was a great teacher and his work will carry on for so many here.
We all loved and respected him, and miss him so much.

Yours
Bill Varone
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
RichieP
Grade 1

Hi Rhonda and welcome!

Your dad was one of the most positive influences in my life when we met (phone wise!) in 2006. The stories he told me and the racing and life lessons he taught me all while your Mom was sitting next to him are priceless.

I hope all is well with your family and please tell LeRoi I said hi. I cant wait to see your pics!

Richie
Old 02-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
HatsGirl
AlwNW1X

Smile

Hello Richie, I was wondering what had happened to you. I have heard many stories that you have told my Dad. Will tell LeRoi that you said hello. Hope all is good with you.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
HatsGirl
AlwNW1X

Thank you for your kind words Bill V. Dad, and LeRoi so enjoyed all the time they spent with all of you. When I was cleaning out their home, I came across many pictures of all of you. When we get back to OK, I hope to get some from Mom, to post.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
HatsGirl
AlwNW1X

Talking

Galen, I saw your name many times, on letters at Mom & Dad's house. For me, this has been a walk down memory lane. To hear from all of you, that I have heard about for years. Now, I can't tell all the stories that I have heard. The Sartin Methodology & The Match Up seminars are like Vegas. What went on there, stays there!