Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Old 07-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #271
Segwin
Grade 1

I disabled Smart Screen this morning and RDSS 2.1 is running great. Hasn't crashed once. The only thing that remains is having to reassemble or restart RDSS to get the live tote working on the next race.

Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #272
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I have to be off today, but the following seems to help most people resume using RDSS for the time being:

1. if you're using an old version of the software, update to the current one
2. if you need to, disable the tote system, as described above in my reply to Mark (Config file, General section, add Tote_enabled=0).
3. disable Windows SmartScreen.

Back at it tomorrow!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #273
bet2windo
AlwNW1X

I have been having similar problem/s since windows update last week.
bet2windo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #274
Swifty0x0
Grade 3

I have Smart Screen off on a Win8.1 pc, and my brother has it off on his Win10 pc. We're both using the latest RDSS version, and have Tote_enabled=0. However, we both have the slow, 'not responding' experience. We're not getting any crashing, just the 'not responding' message at the top of the RDSS window when making mouse clicks in the program.

Last edited by Swifty0x0; 07-01-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Swifty0x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #275
bet2windo
AlwNW1X

RDSS 2.1.049.11 not installing.
bet2windo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #276
Segwin
Grade 1

Just got another fatal disk error popup. Other than that it has been running great.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #277
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Yikes! That's a lot of contradictory reporting about the symptoms and solutions (and failed solutions). I'm going to have to spend at least a day sorting it out and talking to and connecting to different people's computers to observe what's working and under what scenarios, and what's not.

RDSS has had a connection to the tote board since the beginning, first BRISnet Supertote then TwinSpires tote. At first it was just tote data, then a year+ ago I added fetching quick Mutuel results, TS Ratings like ProfitLine and Prime Power, live Scratch info and available tracks today and MTP. I also added the means (in the Config file currently, but I will put that in the Config Screen) to disable fetching tote data but NOT automatic periodic scratch and track info (and fetching TS Ratings and Mutuels prices has always been a user-initiated process).

I added this disabling tote to versions AFTER the old one some people are still using V2.0.Beta-2.06. If people are suddenly having slowness issues, they can try disabling tote access, though NOT for this older version. Hence the suggestion to update to the current version. Some of the comments above do not state which version is involved but I do know that info for each RDSS user.

The confusing part for me is that, from the above reports (and other private ones), the advice to run the current version, disable tote and Windows SmartScreen - seems to help some and not others. It is possible some people think they are following the foregoing advice but are not really, which makes the debugging more confusing.

One thing - since automatically fetching periodic Scratch info (initially, then each 5 minutes afterwards) is not suppressed in the current version by the tote disabling instructions, if you turn tote off you may still get a spinning wheel (slowness) because RDSS is trying to fetch scratch info every 5 minutes and failing (for still unknown reasons).

The bottom line re most of these issues is that a) TwinSpires has changed some web links RDSS uses to fetch live data (and sometimes has subsequently changed them back again so they resume working, temporarily), b) Windows Security updates may be newly enforcing a setting which prevents RDSS from doing its job even if TwinSpires access is OK.

I will contact those who have reported to me or posted here to see if I can observe reported problems in action. I will try to give more advice on how to deal with the new problems with existing software.

I'll try to get an update as soon as I can, to either correct the data access problems or make it easier to work around them.

To those (few) who have written me saying they are fed up with RDSS and hate the customer service and have given up, I apologize for these issues, thank you for your previous support and wish you well.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 07-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #278
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet2windo View Post
RDSS 2.1.049.11 not installing.

Sorry to hear that Please tell me more ...

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 07-02-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: DETAILS ...
Old 07-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #279
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lyster View Post
Just got it this sunday afternoon and wanted to see who won the last at LRC - it had run already so there should not have been a tote influence (hopefully). Opened the last race and it started spinning right away. Acdtually I started to log on to get the prices and THEN it started spinning, so I was trying to activate the twinspires browser
When you open a current day card of races with tote enabled RDSS fetches tote data for the CURRENT race, or the FINAL race if the day's races are complete (since that final race tote info is the remaining current info).

Also, whatever TS web links have changed, it does not surprise me if the Mutuel results are among them (i.e. when you open a browser within RDSS to TwinSpires mutuel results for a race). I will validate this, but as of last week I was able to fetch Mutuel results in the current version on several of my setups.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 07-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #280
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segwin View Post
Just got another fatal disk error popup. Other than that it has been running great.
Terry, this 'fatal disk error popup' has been know to happen but usually after running RDSS after several hours while fetching tote data all along. Does this match your scenario, or does it happen after just a short while.

Advice I have long given -- restart RDSS after every few races. This usually keeps things humming along nicely (at least in the past).

Ted

R
DSS -