Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 07-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
delayjf
Grade 3

Power Move Definition

I understand that a power move is either a move between the 1C and 2C or the 2C and the SC. But can anyone tell me the exact parameters of a power move. I have looked but could not find the answer.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
dippeli
Maiden

What do you mean by exact parameters? If you mean the exact number of positions/lenghts gained, I really dont think it is necessary or even wise to think so rigidly. For me a powermove is a move where horse gains multiple positions and preferably tries to win, for example 1c-2c 9->6 vs. 5->2, both gained 2 positions but I like the latter better, of course pace is important too. Everything depends on everything, there are no easy and fast rules
dippeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
delayjf
Grade 3

I seemed to remember that the Hat did apply some parameters as to position and lengths gained. Again, I have searched Power Moves, but that incompases a lot of threads, I was hoping someone would know, if in fact there is a definitive definition of a Power Move. Thanks for the reply.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
chris
Grade 1

Power move continued.....

The guidelines are indeed fluid, and those of us that value, and use the power move, find that race fans undervalue it, their focus is on finish position and the reigning Byer Speed Figure. Was introduced to the move at Waterford Park in Chester West Virginia (now christened Mountainer) in the late 70's.

You're free to set your own guidelines and only time will validate or negate their value. I've found any move, that includes horses passed and lengths gained that equals 5 or more is worth consideration. A move of 7 and it's time bet.

Like every handicapping factor it's just one more to consider. However, any time the betting public is unaware or undervalues this type information it's a green light for me.

Regards,
chris
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
raceman5
Grade 1

I

Would be careful with that power move stuff. Example. 6 Furlong race run in 21 and 44. The horse makes a big move at the end. Is it really a big move or is he or she just passing tiring horses? If i were using power moves to handicap a race you better watch the video of the last race and keep an eye on the fractions. Now if he or she made a power move in a slow pace race now you might have something.

Bob
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:43 AM   #6
dippeli
Maiden

Bob,

That is why we analyze the powermoves versus the PROJECTED pace. If you project the pace to be 21 44 because of multiple NTL-horses for example, those powermoves CAN be usefull when found in OTE's pps. If you project a slower race, of course you wouldn't pay attention to a powermove that was made vs 21 44. He will not face that today.
dippeli is offline   Reply With Quote