Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #11
RichieP
Grade 1

Good morning everyone!

When I was deep into betting and working races constantly my favorite tracks (circuits) were:
Charlestown (any 6.5f 2 turn CT runner who could run a 23.0 first fraction was FAST
Mountaineer - FE shippers ran similar times to MNR which made for easy matching
Sunland
Philly
Evd,Lad,Ded,FG
Hawthorne

I'd look at the "majors" but had issues with stuff like the inner dirt at Aqu. The winds there in the winter would throw times off so much it got in my head in a real negative way so I left it alone.

I stopped looking at ML odds after working a lot of races with Jim(he told me "just match em up Rich they don't know what odds they are supposed to be!") after I lost a few because of odds etc.

Jim matched all tracks and one morning LeRoi (Mrs. "Hat")told me he was on a mission that afternoon at Belmont. I spoke with Jim after he looked at the card and except for one race he swept the card with double digit winners and everything!

Well off to work now! Take care and I hope this helps in some way.
Richie
Old 05-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
Good morning everyone!

I stopped looking at ML odds after working a lot of races with Jim(he told me "just match em up Rich they don't know what odds they are supposed to be!") after I lost a few because of odds etc.

Richie
That is some sound advice, never let the ML odds effect your decision making. It doesn't matter if the horse is 50/1 or 8/5, the only time you should be paying attention to the odds is 2 minutes to post time. Do you really think the racing secretary at any given track is perfect? Not likely...

The last racing secretary at Woodbine wasn't the sharpest at setting the ML, and left gifts on the table on a regular basis. Stu Slagle (i hope i spelled that correctly) is the new racing secretary at Woodbine, and so far i'm not impressed. His ML odds are bang on for the most part, and it might be tough sleddin this year when looking for value.

As well, i have always asked myself this question, do you think a horse knows that it's running in a Grade 1 Stakes race, or a $10K Claiming race?
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #13
noddub62
Budman

Smile Hi Richie

Good to hear from Mr. Richie!

While not a matcher I will add that using conventional RDSS and playing the cheaper tracks as you mentioned I have much better success with more double digits payouts.

Nice to see you didn't loose how to post on this site dude! We all miss your posts.

The best to you and Karen,

Budman
noddub62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #14
wilbur porter
AlwNW3X

Richie's past posts about Evangeline and Delta Downs are revelatory in regards to OTE profits and some longshots via the Match Up...particularly Delta Downs in November and December before things tighten a bit. Lately Mountaineer and Hawthorne have suffered from very small fields. Overnight I revisited some old Charlestown data files. I had never thought to use the Match Up there. It seems to be quite accurate. Thanks again to Richie!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur porter View Post
Richie's past posts about Evangeline and Delta Downs are revelatory in regards to OTE profits and some longshots via the Match Up...particularly Delta Downs in November and December before things tighten a bit. Lately Mountaineer and Hawthorne have suffered from very small fields. Overnight I revisited some old Charlestown data files. I had never thought to use the Match Up there. It seems to be quite accurate. Thanks again to Richie!
Hi Wilbur,
Regarding Ct races:
Because their 6.5 and 7f races are around 2 turns consider other tracks 2 turn routes as comparable through the 6f portions of those races! Match em up and see what shakes out man.

Good matching!
Richie
Old 05-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #16
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts Richie.
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:48 AM   #17
wilbur porter
AlwNW3X

Thank you very much for your suggestion Richie. I didn't want to interrupt your post displayed on the main forum page. It seemed really valuable. I have followed your suggestion and have matched up and watched a few dozen races for the distances indicated as well as the short two turn tracks Canadian tracks. So far the results seem more impressive than at the regular tracks. The Match Up easily focuses on the most likely winners and readily eliminates those horses that can't handle the first turn, often the favorites. It also shows the position of the horse most likely to catch the early. I am particularly impressed by it's ability to find OTE longshots at Delta and how they easily tuck in. I will spend my next week recording a large sample of picks and results for as many races as possible at each track. Again, a most heartfelt thanks! Yes, by changing the way I look at things, the things themselves seem to have changed. It's eye-opening!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #18
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

Match Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I am working at learning the Match Up Method, and I am posting this here rather than in that discussion forum in hopes of getting as many opinions as possible.

In reading through all of the old posts in the original forum, especially those by RichieP and comments from The Hat, I noticed that they generally seem to prefer tracks other than the majors like NYRA or So. Cal.

That was long ago, and I'm wondering if folks here have found the Match Up method today to work better at some tracks, or some types or classes of tracks, than at others. Thanks for any help.

Mike
I don't use the Match Up except when I use a modified Match Up if I have have a few E7 Or E8s in a race. Even then I rely totally on RDSS for my final contenders. What I do remember Jim saying was that he liked cheap speed and you find cheap speed at cheap tracks. I think at higher class tracks you find horses whose energy is more evenly distributed and maybe when you have cheap speed it is easier to identify and match up horses who are on the lead at the first and second fractions???I admire the ability of those of you who can use the art of the Match Up, well the skill too.
Old Arkie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #19
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

Addendum. Maybe Jim didn't like cheap speed, Just need to be wary of it.
Old Arkie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote