Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

Do you believe in miracles?

37 years ago, today, I was Keystone Racetrack, what is now PARX, in Philadelphia. There came a time when a buzz was beginning to be heard around the track. A group of young kids representing the USA in Olympic ice hockey were beating the Soviet Union. This was not expected. The Russians were king of the ice back then, but they were losing to the USA. As the game began to wind down to its’ final minutes, the buzzing got louder and suddenly, on all the monitors throughout the track, the ice hockey game was being shown. No longer was the crowd interested in horse racing. The USA was beating the Russians. THAT was the story. It didn’t matter that you weren’t an ice hockey fan, certainly I wasn’t, but the USA was beating the Russians and I found myself, along with everybody else, watching the monitors. Then there was just a minute left in the game. The Russians were desperate to score a goal to tie the game, but the USA kids wouldn’t break. With just a couple seconds left Al Michaels, who was calling the game, yelled, “ DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES? YES!” and the game was over. The USA kids had done what was considered impossible. Many a man at the track had just a little more bounce in their step after the game ended. It was a matter of national pride. The kids from the USA had beat the mighty Russians!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

I was

Wow what a great moment That is so cool you were at Parx /Keystone
The game was not shown live were I lived, but I was dying to see it , I drove to a shopping mall to buy a record while I waited for the tape delay. I wanted to watch it
with other people !, but I was not a drinker so a bar was out, I figured I would go to a tv store in the mall . I heard the news on a radio but It was a seen out of the 50's , me and s bunch of people all huddled around a TV watching the miracle . I will never forget it.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

One of the best calls ever........

I will never forget that call by Al Michaels - one of the best ever.
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
mowens33
Grade 1

I was in the US Navy at the time watching it with the boys; and the USA hockey team beating the Russian’s was one the greatest sports moment of my life! When Al Michaels made that call WOW, doesn’t get much better than that!!
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #5
Fairchild
AlwNW3X

Thanks for the reminder....it was a great moment!
Fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Here you go boys.........

This never gets OLD!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5h8ZObQcUs
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote