Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
shoeless
Grade 1

Reckless,What jocks did you represent?
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
reckless
Grade 1

reckless' roster of riders

hi Jeff:

I started what seems like 100 years ago, taking out my license in 1987 at Garden State Park Race Track after being grilled for hours by Hall of Fame jockey and legendary steward Sam Boulmetis Sr.

My first rider was Steve Pagano and we did real well. New England racing fans might remember Steve, who terrorized both the New England and New Jersey circuits for many years. He was a contract bug boy for Burton Sipp in late 1970s and won many races when he were together.

Currently, Steve is the main state steward at Monmouth Park and has been there a few years. A classier guy you'll never ever meet, Jeff.

Others are Nena Matz, who now rides at Will Rogers Downs and was in our buy-cott race led by HANA organization; she's still a top capable rider. I called her the other day looking for some inside information and in typical jockey fashion told he she just 'loved' her horse in the eighth race. The horse finished third.

My personal best successes were with Eddie King Jr., Roberto Rosado and Orlando Bocachica. I won tons and tons of races and made piles of cash with each rider.

I just 'retired' from the game in September with Eddie King Jr. as my last rider. We won over 70 races in a little over six months at Phila. Park. It was the best six months King had in over 3-4 years. He's on the shelf right now and I don't know if he's going to ride anymore. Me and Eddie also were together in 1990 at Phila. and at Pimlico, and did very well down there, often getting 'under' top riders Edgar Prado and Mike Luzzi, believe it or not.

Roberto Rosado won the Eclipse Award as top bug boy a few years back, and I think he's in Puerto Rico these days. I did see the name Rosado in a chart or two at the tail end of December at Calder. I am not sure if he's one and the same.

The year before Smarty Jones started racing Rosado and I won more races for trainer John Servis than Stewie Elliott did! He's another good kid whom we did well together. Roberto was the first to tell that John had a freak in the barn and he was right about Smarty Jones long before the colt even breezed.

A few years back I had Orlando Bocachica, who is an exciting rider now at Aqueduct with Hall of Famer Jorge Velazquez representing him. If he ever gets a chance to ride for some big outfits there, he'll show a lot of people how talented he is.

When we were together at Phila Park he was winning 3-4 per day numerous weeks before suddenly going to New England. I'd come back as an agent tomorrow for Bocachica, that's how good a rider he is.

Some others I had include Ryan Barber, Carlos Cruz and Yamil Rosario. I was fortunate to have support from top outfits like John Servis, Ron Glorioso, ET Garcia, Hemran Kinchen. Mike Aro, Floyd Snyder... people that are good trainers and good people to deal with. I always made a good living, thank God, but you need help from all circles to really succeed in this sport.

Hope I was able to answer your question, Jeff.

Last edited by Ted Craven; 04-02-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: reckless: don't know how you do that, but I fixed it, again
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
reckless
Grade 1

what's wrong with me? Why are these editing lines happening again?

Am I leaning on a button on my typewriter that I am unaware of??
Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
TheSpokesman
AlwNW3X

You mentioning your being licensed reminded me of my own test administered by Bill Hartack. Believe it or not, one of the things I am most proud of about being an agent is that I was certified by Bill Hartack. We truly lost a legend when Bill passed away.
TheSpokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
shoeless
Grade 1

Reckless,Im familar with all those jocks you mentioned especially King.When he was a regular on the Monmouth circuit I hated to bet him on a horse coming from behind.Watching him at Philly though he seemed to be doing quite a bit better on those types of horses,maybe he is getting better horses to ride.What happened to Harry Vega at Philly?When he first came from Maryland he was tearing up the jockey colony now I hardly see him riding at all.Jeff
Old 04-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
Reckless,Im familar with all those jocks you mentioned especially King.When he was a regular on the Monmouth circuit I hated to bet him on a horse coming from behind.Watching him at Philly though he seemed to be doing quite a bit better on those types of horses,maybe he is getting better horses to ride.What happened to Harry Vega at Philly?When he first came from Maryland he was tearing up the jockey colony now I hardly see him riding at all.Jeff
rides often in Canada
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #17
shoeless
Grade 1

HUH?I thought Canada tracks had been shut down and last year I followed Woodbine and FE and never saw him ride there.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #18
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
HUH?I thought Canada tracks had been shut down and last year I followed Woodbine and FE and never saw him ride there.
shut down? where on earth do you get your information? There are MORE tracks in Ontario than any two US states. Woodbine, Rideau Carlton, Kawartha, Western Fair, Georgian Downs, Fort Erie, Mohawk not to mention the quarter horse track there Ajax I think
here http://poifriend.com/poigroup.php?poigroup_id=1064

King did not stay..Last I heard he was at Mountaineer

Last edited by Tim Y; 04-03-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
shoeless
Grade 1

There are MORE tracks in Ontario than any two US states

I seriously doubt that Ontario has more tracks then New York and California.

King was riding at Philly not Mountaineer
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
reckless
Grade 1

King of Ontario

hiya Tim, everyone:

The jockey King you mentioned, the one that rides in Canada, I believe goes by the name of Robert King Jr.

The King of Phila. Park and New Jersey circuit is Eddie L. King Jr.

Eddie King Jr. comes from a deep racing history. His grandmother was the very first woman to be licensed as a trainer in USA at a 'major' racetrack. King's dad was a rider and I believe rode Needles, but look that one up, I'm not 100 per cent on that.

Eddie was born in New Mexico and has been riding close to 30 years and has won close to 3,000 races.

He and Mike Smith are lifelong friends having rode together in Albuequrque, Grand Isle, Neb. (home of Fonner Park) and other leaky track circuits before both went to Chicago to ride at the three Chicago tracks.

At about the same time, the early-middle 1980s, King went to Phila. Park and Smith went to New York and subsequently to the Hall of Fame, before starring in Jockeys and dating Chantal Sutherland.

Currently, Eddie King isn't riding due to a tear in his rotator cuff; not sure if he'll return to the saddle or try to become a steward, which was a goal of his.

Jeff, about Harry Vega... I really rather not talk about that for one reason only -- it's simply a mystery on how he went from leading rider to relative obscurity in just over two years. I don't have the answer on to why, to be truthful.

Tags
agents, jockeys