Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Selections
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Selections Post Your Picks - 1 race or a card

Old 07-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #21
Lythande
AlwNW2X

So, I'm looking at the Jim Dandy (10th Race). As I don't have access to track or class variants, I need to give my weight to other factors. Please be sure to tell me what I may have overlooked.

This is a G2 Stakes of 9 fur, 600k, 3yo, 5 starters.

Running Style:
#1 , #3, and #4 are the early speed horses. However, #4 is only an E3 to the other two, and was beaten by #1 in a previous race (Tandems). #2 and #5 are both P3s. One might win only if there is a three way speed duel to exhaust the leading horses.

Jockeys:
#1, 3, and 4 are all moving up, #2 and 5 are no change. No Change is neither positive nor negative. Irad Ortiz Jr, riding #3, has the highest in starts, win% and top 3%. J R Velazquez, riding #5, matches Irad in win%, and earns 23k to Irad's 14k, but has half as many races to his credit. Jose Ortiz, riding #1, has the least amount in terms of win% and top 3% but is second to Velazquez in per start$ and almost equal to Irad in total earnings. In fact, the Ortiz duo are both the top earners. FYI, these conclusions are based on the earnings per year at Equibase, not the figures in the PP for this meet. This seems to suggest #1, #3, and #5.

The Jockey/Trainer angle is also a 365 statistic:
#1 has the highest ROI and has the second highest win%, following #5. #1 over #5.

Trainers:
Todd Fletcher, trainer of #5, came out tops in the categories of shipper, graded stakes, routes, and dirt starts. Steven Asmussen, trainer of both #2, and #3, came out second in the same categories. However, #3 has one strike as switching from turf to dirt, and is a second start off a layoff. #2 and #4 are both 46-90 days away. Seems to suggest #5, while #2, #3, and #4 all have a strike against them.

Class:
#1, and #3 are moving up in class, while the rest of the field is moving down. All have had at least one G2 race. #1 ‘s most recent race was for a slightly lower purse (500K to today’s 600k), and #2, #4, and #5 are all coming down from G1 mil+ races, While #3 is technically stepping up in class, in his previous race he finished 21.5 lengths behind the leader in a 2mil G2. This seems to suggest #1 has the edge.

Workouts:
Most of this field worked out most recently at 4 fur. The average of the 2nd call in the pps was 47.69 FPS. #3 has the fastest final time by more than 15 seconds or more over the other four. However, #1 ‘s workout 8 days ago was 3 seconds faster than #3 at the same distance, five days ago. #4, and #5 ran faster at the 4 fur post and a furlong farther than the others. All told, #3 had the slowest time for the same distance, 4 fur. #2, and #3 both worked out on the training track, the others on the main track. #3 had three workouts in the past months but two were on turf. #1 had two workouts on dirt. Seems to suggest #1

In conclusion:
Running Style: #1
Jockey: #1
Jockey/Trainer: #1
Trainer: #1
Class: #1
Workouts: #1

Now lets see how this one turns out

Bill: I'm also keeping my bets real small. And I only boost my account once a week for $20.
Lythande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #22
Lythande
AlwNW2X

You're probably wondering how the #5 emphasis under trainers led to a #1 choice. It's like in the News. There may be a 20% chance of something happening, but that just means there is an 80% chance it won't. Just because someone has the top numbers in some category, doesn't make them the automatic win choice. #5 was tops only in this one category, #1, with no strikes against him, has too many other favorable factors.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #23
Lythande
AlwNW2X

Well, I was close. #2 won, #1 placed, and #5 showed. Reride came in forth. So I was right in some respects but obviously not on target, quite. I made $7 so today was mostly losses. But a valuable learning experience. Will work some more on my template and reading. Will try another dry run in a week or two.

Oh, Bill, I'm afraid we must agree to disagree. Three of my four bedrooms are libraries. And I learned this much evaluation stuff from reading, some in books, some from this forum, and some from the Follow Ups. I've gotten farther in the past two weeks that I ever did 20+ years ago. Hardest part is taking notes. My hand keeps cramping.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend