Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 05-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
GeorgeC5614
Grade 3

Smile New Matcher

I was browsing through the forums trying to work on my contender selections when I stumbled across a thread that had a link to the Mind's Eye threads. I read through them and was like wow. I wish I had been around back when that forum was active. I then went through the forum from the beginning to the end. Some of the links don't work anymore, but the way Richie wrote the lessons I was still able to follow most of it. He may have said the Mr. Bradshaw was a great teacher, but Richie is also a mighty fine teacher in his own right!

I am having trouble with some of the steps, such as determining when a race will run early. I still get that wrong many times, which of course means I miss the race. The matchup contest is helping, but I still end up with the place horse more often than the winner. Last weekend I felt a bit over my head with the races (too many good horses to find just one).

Equibase has a one day pass on their Past Performances which allows you to download the PP's for all the tracks running that day. I have a bunch of cards to work on that have already run, but I do not know the results. I also figured out how to extract a single race from the PDF of the entire card which helps a lot Is it alright to post some races that have already run, and that gave me trouble to see if the more experienced matchers can offer some guidance? Hope I didn't ramble too much
GeorgeC5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
mowens33
Grade 1

GeorgeC, I found this very helpful determining Early and who is capable of going wire to wire.
It's simple and effective:

Early is a runner that can go wire-to-wire, without a challenge from any other runner in
the race. If this is true the race will run Early. Otherwise, the race is going to run Other
Than Early. There are certain things to look for before making deciding how the race
“sets” up.

Evaluate the runners in today’s race and decide the running style of all runners. Next,
look at the Early Runners and evaluate them and ask yourself the following questions:
1. Look at the first fraction and see which horse will have the lead.
2. What type of lead does the runner need: Open lengths, or can the runner fight?
3. What happens if he is challenged?
4. Are there any early challengers in today’s race?
5. Is the runner a quitter?
If there isn’t a horse that has the lead at the first fraction, look at horses that are close to
the lead and gain the lead at the second call. Give these horses the lead by default. Most
of these races run Other Than Early.

Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
The Pook
Grade 1

Hi George. I will try to help and most will I would think on this forum. It is a matter of having time. Also since you are dealing with races already run if I know anything about what really happened it ruins the race. Races not yet run are true acid tests even in practice. Post away.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
cigar
3-3-1 - 3-3-2

Keep Reading

My suggestion for identify early horses is for each entry circle the past performance when the horse had the lead at the 1C and 2C. Then look at all your entries and the early will stand out. Do this a few times and you will quickly identify early horses. Once you have this down pat, we will take it further as Mike as describe.

If you would like to work a race, just post it and we will chime in.
cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
GeorgeC5614
Grade 3

Haw0422R5pp.pdf

The 5th race from Hawthorne on April 22'nd has a horse that gave me trouble. The 6 is scratched so there are only 5 horses running. If anyone could provide a rundown of the race it would be appreciated.

My thinking on the race:

The projected pace I used was from the 5's last race 22.96 46.27 1:10.29. The only horse I could find that was competitive at that pace was the 1 who also was the fastest pace of last race at 22.82 and 46.60. When looking at the 1 I saw the 2nd race back he was fighting for the first 2 calls against a pace of 22.16 44.98 before pulling away to almost a two length lead in 1:09.56. I don't see another horse capable of that. From that I would project the 1 as going wire to wire.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
The Pook
Grade 1

I had the projected pace around 22.9. I saw it between the 1 and 5. The 1 looks superior from that race two back but that was a one off that he hasn't backed up anywhere else. Both the 1 and 5 can win from on and just off the pace. I think it will run early and that they would not cancel each other out. The others look to be too far back.

Pook

Last edited by The Pook; 05-07-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 05-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
wilbur porter
AlwNW3X

Learning The Match Up

I would like to contribute my own observations to the recent resurgence of interest in the Match Up. I am in no way an expert and remain very much a novice. I have some 5 years of experience in using RDSS and learning the use of the Match Up. It is still an ongoing process.
My own learning process has been long and laborious. I thought that I would be able to learn how to use RDSS and master the Match Up within a few months time. Boy, I had a lot to learn! It is only recently after constant practice that I feel that I have made real progress. My own steps to learning included the following:
1) I purchased the Match Up and Match Up 2 books on E Bay and read them repeatedly
2) I went through the forum manually and read all threads and posts about the Match Up going back to 2006
3) I read and re-read the manuals that Ted supplies that deal with the Match Up and other Sartin subjects. Ted recently placed the Match Up compilation in the library. It's very difficult but is certainly worthwhile reading over and over again.
4) I listened to the audios that featured Jim Bradshaw that Ted supplies in the Sartin Methodology Library
5) I have constantly practiced an re-practiced utilizing the Match Up on the thousands of old RDSS race file downloads that I have collected off and on for the last 5 years. I handicap the races via the Match Up, look up the results via Equibase or Brisnet, and/or watch the race replays on Twinspires
6) I practice predicting each call as suggested by Gary Owens in the 1991 Las Vegas audio, Tape 4 no. 3 - particularly the 2nd call within 2/10ths to 3/10s of a second. After handicapping each race in that way, I immediately check the call times in the results.
7 It seems that practice and humility are necessary tools for learning the Match Up. I would get frustrated that I couldn't pick out winners just like "That" like Mr Bradshaw
8) I went through just about every post by Rich that I could find...not just the threads. He not only tells you how to use the Match Up, but how to bet it.

It does seem, that with practice, I can more easily reduce the number of true contenders to three or four in most races - and yes, I prefer to look at those races with 9 or more entries. It seems increasingly amazing that someone like me, who has absolutely no experience in handicapping, can pick contenders in this way.
The results are that I have picked up my hit rate on exactas, trifectas and superfectas. Simply picking Winners doesn't make a lot of sense to me these days. I look for OTE's. The only negatives at this time are my very limited bank roll and the very small fields and payoffs at most tracks these days. If I play, it's only for a price.
My suggestion for others who might want to learn more about the Match Up would be to follow some of the steps above, and also to invest in unlimited Trackmaster files for RDSS for a few months and learning through practice and repetition.

Last edited by wilbur porter; 05-07-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: add
wilbur porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
mowens33
Grade 1

Wilbur thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts on the steps you have taken in the quest to master the match-up.

I think with the time and effort you have spent on the match-up that you would be a great addition to are weekly match-up crew!

Thanks again, Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
GeorgeC5614
Grade 3

Thanks Pook, that helped quite a bit. I have to break the bad habit I have of hyper-focusing on one thing. I saw the 1 horse had been fighting the first two calls against that fast pace and that was the only thing I used to eliminate the others. I didn't even compare it to other lines for the same horse. I just put a sticky note on my desk that says "Check all the lines for the contenders!"
Old 05-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
The Pook
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC5614 View Post
Thanks Pook, that helped quite a bit. I have to break the bad habit I have of hyper-focusing on one thing. I saw the 1 horse had been fighting the first two calls against that fast pace and that was the only thing I used to eliminate the others. I didn't even compare it to other lines for the same horse. I just put a sticky note on my desk that says "Check all the lines for the contenders!"
Good stuff George!

Pook