Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

Preakness - Post race

1 - It was a terriffic effort by Rachel Alexandra

2 - It is a sorry state of affairs when 1 of the 12 best (supposedly) 3 yo colts in training can't beat a filly. What does it say for this years crop?

3 - Did Calvin (BoRAIL) Borel make the difference? Not for his ride on Rachel Alexandra but, for the lack of his presence on the "Bird".

Sitting in the Las Vegas Hilton racebook on Friday, I overheard a group of people talking about Mike Smith being aboard Mine The Bird rather than Calvin Borel. The consenses was that Mike Smith would move the horse UP.

Well, while Calvin rode the rail with the "Bird" in route to victory in the Derby, Smith took the overland route in the Preakness and to defeat.

4 - Would the "Bird" have won the Preakness had Borel been aboard?
For The Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Tanico
Grade 3

Well I gotta say yes because that would mean somebody other than Borel would be on Rache That could make a big difference. He knows that filly very well and without him I am not sure the outcome from her would have been as successful .
Tanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Vinnie
Grade 1

Unbelievable race and effort by Rachel Alexandra. To withstand the pressure of the boys and manage to win from the #13 post. WOW!! Pretty awesome stuff! Also, my hat goes off to MTB and his connections for an incredible run to nearly get there late in the Preakness. Heck, if it weren't for RA being entered in the race there is a strong possibility that we could be looking at the winner of the next Triple Crown. In the Belmont I think that the race may very well be MTB's for the taking if he comes out of the Preakness well which from early indications seems to be the case.

Horses such as Musket Man (who ran very well), Papa Clem and Pioneer of the Nile by early indications have shown no interest as to moving forward to the Belmont Stakes. The mile and a half should be a distance that MTB relishes and personally I would love to see MTB take 2/3 of the Triple Crown. I guess that we will have to wait and see how things pan out over the next three weeks or so. It is going to be interesting. Maybe POTN was a little too close to the pace in the Preakness. I think that he finished 26 lengths out. Maybe his Derby effort took a little bit too much out of him.

Tim, nice call on Friesen Fire (with the Deceleration exceeding 100). I really didn't believe that he would be a factor by races end.

Good Skill to all.

Vinnie
Old 05-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Tim Y
turf historian

By all accounts the brave filly was running on intestinal fortitude at the end. Borel said she was done and did not dare hit her but just grabbed the reins.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Tanico
Grade 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
By all accounts the brave filly was running on intestinal fortitude at the end. Borel said she was done and did not dare hit her but just grabbed the reins.
I hear what you say and I am wondering what you think about the Belmont should they decide to try it with here. Can she be rated well enough to get a mile and half or is that asking to much of here based on what you witnessed Saturday?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanico View Post
I hear what you say and I am wondering what you think about the Belmont should they decide to try it with here. Can she be rated well enough to get a mile and half or is that asking to much of here based on what you witnessed Saturday?
She only knows one way to run: up close and fast. Her % medians are in range of the longer race, but given how much that last one took out of her and the memory of what happened to the last filly who tried and won it (never raced again), I doubt they would take the risk.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
Tanico
Grade 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
She only knows one way to run: up close and fast. Her % medians are in range of the longer race, but given how much that last one took out of her and the memory of what happened to the last filly who tried and won it (never raced again), I doubt they would take the risk.
Thanks Tim, I sorta how I feel but I am afraid it is their goal to win two parts of the Triple Crown and make her place in history. Their is plenty of races left for her and she could use the rest. No colt in over 30 years has won 3 races in that 5 week period that should tell them how hard it is.