Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS2 / FAQ's
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS2 / FAQ's Information, discussion, screenshots, videos about the upcoming version, FAQ's

Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
partsnut
BetMix User

Question - RDSS - Adjusted Speed Rating

Question - RDSS - Adjusted Speed Rating

Ted, can you tell me what the speed rating is adjusted for?
Would it be adjusted for race class, distance and surface?
Is it in fact similar or supposed to be similar to a Beyer number?
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
benzer
AlwNW3X

Hi Parts, While I can't answer your specific question (I don't know the inner workings of the program). IMHO the adjusted speed rating numbers straight out are better than the Beyers. The plus side of the adjustments is that you can change their impact, daily and intertrack variants, for me this is useful for some tracks.
benzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
partsnut
BetMix User

benzer:

Quote:
Hi Parts, While I can't answer your specific question (I don't know the inner workings of the program). IMHO the adjusted speed rating numbers straight out are better than the Beyers. The plus side of the adjustments is that you can change their impact, daily and intertrack variants, for me this is useful for some tracks.
Hi benzer, thank you for your response. I was always under the impression that the Beyer numbers took into account the track variant, surface and distance and was universal number that could be used as a track to track comparison.
My question would be: is the "adjusted speed number" similar in function and comparable to a Beyer number and what is the speed number actually adjusted for? Possibly Ted would be kind enough to give me clarification on this.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man

Speed Ratings

Hi Bill

you might find this article helpful
Follow Up # 85 Page 22 -23

GS
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
partsnut
BetMix User

Bill V.

Hi Bill
you might find this article helpful
Follow Up # 85 Page 22 -23

GS
Bill
-------------------------------------------------
Bill, Thanks.
I always know I can count on you.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsnut View Post
I was always under the impression that the Beyer numbers took into account the track variant, surface and distance and was universal number that could be used as a track to track comparison.
My question would be: is the "adjusted speed number" similar in function and comparable to a Beyer number and what is the speed number actually adjusted for? Possibly Ted would be kind enough to give me clarification on this.
Bill,

As alluded to in that Follow Up article Bill V refers to, the Adjusted Speed Rating is calculated by internal formulas, and includes

- a final time component
- a distance adjustment to today's distance (when necessary)
- TrackMaster's Daily Track Variant (DTV) adjustment (controlled on your Config screen)
- TrackMaster's Inter-Track Variant (ITV) adjustment

The Adjusted SR is not the same as the TrackMaster SR. The Adjusted SR does not include adjustments for :

- 'class' as determined by money earnings or in-the-money consistency (i.e. elements of APV and CR),
- race conditions or caliber of race (race class levels, non-winner conditions, etc)
- 'track class' or relative level of purse structures or perceived abilities of horses who race at different race tracks or circuits
- incremental race segment components (e.g. 'pace' time ratings, fractional ratings)

It is strictly based on adjusted final time, and as such will have a direct one-to-one rank relationship with True Speed (TS) which is the velocity equivalent of the Adjusted Speed Rating (i.e. the ranks of these two readouts would be identical, but we don't rank Adj SR).

From your own knowledge of what Beyer Speed Ratings are supposed to be or how they are composed, you may draw your own studied conclusions about how the Sartin Adjusted SR's compare. I haven't looked at Beyers in decades and I can't comment reliably on them (or really, on any other vendor's speed ratings).

The DTV and ITV figures provided by TrackMaster, which factor into the Adj SR (if your Config settings include them) are as good as any out there. I could say they are better than many, but I don't have statistical comparative documentation to back that up. I can say that TrackMaster has recently provided me with a new way of incorporating their ITV figures which will be significantly better than what they were able to provide to Doc in the 1990s. This new ITV method will be a part of RDSS 2.1 (not V2.0) and will produce somewhat different (inevitably and more accurate) adjusted numbers all around than currently.

I am only prepared to go into so much detail about the specific methods of adjustments, Par Gaps, ITV calculations etc involved in the Adjusted SR. Ask anything else you like and I will clarify if I am able.

I think this SR rating compares excellently to anything else out there - BUT, it is not the final means of picking horses to bet on - it should be used to help identify bona-fide contenders. Final contenders and bet decisions should be made from the BLBL screen and one's assessment of race-running-early versus race-running-other-than-early - and which pools offer value.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote