Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Pandemic Living

I started this new thread for people to post about issues related to living with the coronavirus pandemic in our communities, rather than mixing general pandemic discussion with the 'Coronavirus related to horse racing' discussion which has been going on for a couple of weeks, here.

PaceandCap members come from many countries: Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, South Africa, Germany, France, Italy, United Kindgom, Ireland, Russia, Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela - with most members in the United States and Canada.

Things to talk about here could include: how you are staying safe, what's happening in your community and country, best practices for isolating and working at home. Hopeful stories, sad stories, empathetic stories. Coronavirus jokes (humour is a balm and stress reliever), etc.

NO POLITICS, though. There's a lot more I could say about that, but won't (unless needed). In all comments, imagine you are sitting at the table at Saratoga (or Del Mar or Woodbine) with your fellow members, have just made a tremendous score, are sharing a round of drinks and toasting everyone's good health. These are the same people posting in this Forum, some of who's photos you see in the Saratoga Gatherings Forum. Consider that they are another version of you, just with different life stories, different backgrounds and thus different points of view. Same planet.

May we all stay safe and as happy as possible, care for each other, and all heed the warnings to stay isolated right now and contribute to not spreading this virus.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 03-24-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Copying this post from the other Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEdwards View Post
The UK is now on lockdown following an announcement by Boris Johnson last night.

I believe it is everyone's social responsibility to adhere to this whether they like it or not. Some of the behaviour over here has been absolutely ridiculous. People treating this as a holiday and all going out to enjoy themselves in large crowds gathering at various tourist destinations. It makes my blood boil.

Stay safe everyone. And keep that social distancing!

R
DSS -
Old 03-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Here in Central Ontario, Canada, Alison and I are on day 10 of the 14 day self-isolation required when returning from overseas. It feels remarkably like my day to day life at home, working, only now my beautiful wife is working from home in the next room - LoL! (So far, we still love each other). And, no dining out or shopping until we're free. Then - more of the same, haha, instead of my neigbour delivering groceries and muffins, I get that same job for them.

Most provinces in Canada are strictly locked down, like the UK, like California and other US states.

I am reminded that this whole thing could end in 14 days (OK, say 30-60 days) if people stayed away from each other, sick people recovered, no newly infected outsiders entered the communities. I'm not sure how successfully that will happen, given human nature (e.g. Spring Breakers, heading to your cottage/mountain retreat/small community to isolate). But it's a useful thought-experiment to remind myself that we can recover soon.

Here is a really well-written, well graphed and documented paper on epidemiology and how this disease propagates, and what to expect under various scenarios (some optimistic, some very scary):

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now - Tomas Pueyo - Medium

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 03-24-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

This will be me soon ...

R
DSS -
Old 03-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

The possibilities of remote gathering and collaboration when we are forced to limit physical interactions are quite fascinating. In a way, you could say this pandemic has forced some alternates on us that we have been underutilizing so far. Work from home, why not socialize from home, collaborate from home?

Once upon a time, humans thought talking by phone was inferior to actually getting together physically - only because they were not used to it. Now, when you can't get together physically, virtual contact (by remote meeting like Zoom or Skype or Facetime etc) can be a blessing. (We could do this for handicapping together).

Here is the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, in lock-down along with the rest of us Ontario and Canada, with a virtual performance of Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copeland. Enjoy!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 03-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #6
barb craven
Grade 1

Just finished my panic room!
Name:  TP.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  26.2 KB
Barb
barb craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:48 AM   #7
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb craven View Post
just finished my panic room!
Attachment 48738
barb
lmao!!!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
Mitch44
Grade 1

Good one Barb. I see your well prepared. ha ha ha

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #9
barb craven
Grade 1

Thanks guys I'm glad it makes you laugh. I aim to keep spirits up. Thought for today
Name:  virus.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  51.9 KB
Barb
Old 03-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #10
Jeebs
Grade 1

Hi everyone. I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe!
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote