Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
Mitch44
Grade 1

Leroi Bradshaw

I've been meaning to call Jim "The Hat" wife Leroi for several week now and finally got around to it today.

At first I was stunned to hear Jim himself answer the phone. Wow!! How wonderful that was to hear his voice again. I thought I had dialed his old business number or old house phone. I called Lt1 to get her number because I don't know what I did with it. Well it was correct and Leroi had the phone company switch it over to her phone. On the call back she picked it up immediately before the recording came on to leave a message and I caught her just getting out of the shower however she wanted to talk right away.

For all those that met and knew Leroi I can report she is doing very well and is sharp as a tack. She has her own apartment and they bring meals to her. She is social distancing and has a big 65 inch TV that she enjoys watching.

She told me shortly after arriving there 11 years ago the Doctor there changed her medication and her mind became sharper that it ever was. The Doctor also did a bone density scan and told her that her bones were real good. Leroi replied; " I know my bones are good it just that the caulking gave out." She has had some knee replacements etc. That got my funny bone going and we both had a good laugh.

Leroi is not in need of anything. She does to get to go outside now and then. Leroi said the other day the breeze and air was so wonderful against her face. I told her we take the simple things for granted and greatly appreciate their return, after an absence the heart does grow fonder.

We can all appreciate the folks we have met traveling the roads and highways of Doc Sartin, Jim Bradshaw and Bill Varone. Forever grateful our roads have intersected. Leroi is a very special lady to come our way,and I have always found that the women behind the successful men are really the unsung hero's. What a wonderful Lady Leroi is,always upbeat and such a pleasure to be in contact with or near.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Lt1
Grade 1

Nice post Mitch. Thanks for the update. LeRoi is indeed one grand lady. Those of us fortune enough to have met and spend some time with her were indeed blessed. And let's not forget she is one fine handicapper in her own right. I can still picture her working Jims'
A ODDS program and knocking out winners and razzing Jim when she won a race he didn't. Glad to hear she's doing well.
Tim
Old 05-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

That's wonderful to hear! Thanks for doing that Mitch and for telling us about it. I was thinking about her the other day, when I came across an email I got from her and Jim's daughter Rhonda a few years back when she joined PaceandCap.com and made a few posts. She had said she helped her mother move into that seniors apartment and I'm so glad to hear life continues to be enjoyable for her.

Alison and I spent several bus rides to the track with her and Jimmy back in the day and we always got along great.

Such a cheerful woman. So lovely to hear about her again!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
darmar
Grade 1

Thanks so much for the post Mitch. At a time like this when we are all grieving the loss of Bill it's so uplifting to hear that LeRoi is living life to the fullest.
Darryl
darmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Mitch44
Grade 1

Tim your absolutely correct in that Leroi was a very good handicapper with that Aodds Gold program that Jimmy wrote.

I told her yesterday that I have been playing "The Hat's" old favorite track Will Rogers Downs and doing good there. Leroi told me about the time she hit a $ 397.00 Ex. The favorite ran 2nd.

She also had the Tri in her top 3 horses . She only had 2 minutes to go before post time and had to rush up to the ticket counter. The machines locked up right after her EX ticket was punched. She wasn't able to box her top 3 and the Tri paid over $37,000.

It was always a pleasure to be with Jimmy and Leroi. You had to be invited to sit at their table. And if you talked to Jimmy when he was looking at the Racing Form you would never get another invite. Leroi would explain the rules. Now it was alright to talk to Leroi, that didn't brother "The Hat" or mess up his concentration. Once Jimmy was done with the race and had his ticket than he was approachable and a different person.

What a guy! And what a couple!

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
Lt1
Grade 1

Amen Mitch. It was a great honor to be invited to sit with them. We were lucky to find out in advance not to bother Jimmy when he was capping. Those were some great times we enjoyed.
Tim
Old 05-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Grandpa's Girl
Grade 3

[QUOTE=Mitch44;127510]I've been meaning to call Jim "The Hat" wife Leroi for several week now and finally got around to it today.

Hi there... I am so glad to see this. Jimmy and Leroi were such a big part of my growing up, and I've been wondering if she was well. I'm so happy to read that she is.
Grandpa's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
gandalf380
Grade 1

excellent news. I still get a kick of remembering the jazzing she used to give Jimmy when she got a winner he didn't.