Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Pace Makes the Race / TPR
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Pace Makes the Race / TPR Discussion, Examples, Lessons from Total Pace Ratings (TPR) aka 'Phase I' from the book 'Pace Makes the Race'

Old 07-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #131
Dallas4lr
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty moose View Post
I was just reading through this post again. I decided to just pick a random card in my database and cap it using just the guidelines. I have some questions. I'm looking @ Parx Oct. 27 race 6. CL16K three and up N2-L

What line do you give here? Do you go back to L3?
Attachment 36455
I know this is 8 months after you have asked your question. Most of the respected paceline selection methods have one thing in common. They all point back to the last race. The last race is the line that should be used unless you can find a valid excuse for it.

For us to really be able to assess this in RDSS you would need to have the Trip tab posted instead of the TPR E/L tab. That way we can see the post position the horse broke from and the comments. That way we can determine if the last line was a troubled trip, or did the horse just run poorly for no reason at all.

Carl
Dallas4lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #132
Bill V.
The egg man

I have them

Hi Carl

I have the screen shots with the trip notes If Matt wants I can post them for you guys .

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #133
Dallas4lr
Grade 1

Bill,

That would be great! I'd like to take a look at them.

Thanks
Carl
Dallas4lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #134
Bill V.
The egg man

Pace lines

Here they are

Name:  air alaska.PNG
Views: 1330
Size:  98.2 KB

Name:  Chief.PNG
Views: 1278
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  silky.PNG
Views: 1317
Size:  97.2 KB
Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #135
Bill V.
The egg man

other

Pace lines

Name:  Inthe.PNG
Views: 1529
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  Vag.PNG
Views: 1563
Size:  95.4 KB
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #136
CEW
Grade 1

Pace Line Selection

Hi All -

I've been reading through some of the posts here on paceline selection. One suggestion (which may have been offered somewhere in the last 14 pages of posts) is to listen to the first few tapes of Tom Brohamer's lecture series in the Audio Collection.

My feeling is that he describes his procedure for picking pacelines in a way that can be easily duplicated. Basically, the last line is critical in evaluating current form, but if there is a solid reason to discard the last line, then a window is opened to allow you to go back a line. And same for that line and so on until there is a point where you can't make a valid excuse. You're selection should be among those lines.

I've read here that paceline selection needs to be done in a way that can be duplicated each time you handicap, to which I agree completely.

Best of luck!

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #137
MikeB
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEW View Post
Hi All -

I've been reading through some of the posts here on paceline selection. One suggestion (which may have been offered somewhere in the last 14 pages of posts) is to listen to the first few tapes of Tom Brohamer's lecture series in the Audio Collection.
At the end of the first tape, Tom appears to be discussing some handouts from the seminar. Does anyone know if that material is in the "Manual" section here under any of the seminar documentation? Thanks.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #138
CEW
Grade 1

Mike -

Excellent question. I've wondered about that as well. As Tom goes through his material on those tapes, it appears he handed out an outline with about 5 or 6 sections....current profile (preferred running style), contender guidelines, negative drops, paceline selection, etc. It seems it would almost summarize his book into one outline.

Those recordings are tremendous. Echoing Mike's question - Does anybody know the whereabouts of a copy of that handout ?

Regards,

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #139
shoeless
Grade 1

The manual came with the tapes
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote