Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
kahunab
Grade 2

Using RDSS for the MatchUp

Recently I have had requests for help using RDSS to handicap because of my last article. I am going to attempt to help by trying to explain how you can use RDSS to do your matchup work for you. Before I do that, it is important that you understand where I come from in terms of beliefs and basic understandings. You need to know where I come from in order to put my comments in context and make some sense of what I say. So lets see what we can learn together.

Here is what I would like you to start with. My Basic Beliefs and Premises are:

1. Handicapping horses is an exercise in probabilities. Las Vegas gets rich on a 5-10% advantage on the gamblers who visit there. We can too if we turn the probabilities in our favor. However, you must always remember that at times the probabilities will turn against you. That is how sometimes there are big winners in Vegas even with the odds against them.

2. Given My handicapping process, there are factors that are more predictive than others. I do NOT pick my own lines as I find that I "Weave and Bob" my way through the past performances and do not consistently apply selection criteria. I find that I can do better by letting the computer select lines and then I can adjust for layoffs and other special circumstances. I use the automatic best perceptor of the last 3 comparable but there are other criteria that may work better for you.

3.Running Style is critical. Early horses that can’t get the lead do not come from behind to win. If you can identify horses that are not fast enough to put themselves into their preferred position to win (first fraction speed) then you are looking at a horse that can’t win. Jim Bradshaw used to call those the fast horses in the race. A horse that can’t get into his preferred running style position may place or show but won't win.

4. Don't bet against the statistics. Ted and others have compiled a data base that indicates that the winner comes out of the top 5 CSR horses 90% of the time. Since that is a rating of more than just one line, it is a strong overall rating found on the entries screen as well as the BL/BL screen and does not change with line changes. Why would we ever bet on a horse to win with a CSR rating greater than 5?

5. Keep your own statistics. Given the way you handicap, your statistics may be different than mine. You need to find the ratings that you have the most confidence in. Going to the window will become a lot easier if you do.

6. Watch the Early Speed points assigned to the horses. Especially look for horses who have an advantage say 3-5 more points than the rest of the horses. How do they run? When there are 3 horses with 21 Early Speed Points or more, how often do you get a late race and a really high priced winner?

7. At times it will all go wrong. If things go all wrong, it is time to go back to basics, review your thinking, relax, understanding the science of probabilities, and go back to the basic process that you started with and realize how far you have moved from your basic process.

8. Don’t “measure with a micrometer and cut with a chainsaw”. Keep in perspective that we can carry our calculations out to the umpteenth decimal place but horses actually run the race. Horses are not very precise creatures. However, we can look for patterns. The numbers can show us patterns that will help us understand the race. Doc Sartin used to write about “pattern recognition” as being a critical skill. We are trying to build skills at pattern recognition.

I would ask you to look at 20 races, non-maidens with every horse having at least 3 lines and at least 8 horses going to post. Focus on sprints and routes on the dirt. Turf can come later. In the first 20 it is OK to know the win, place and show horses.

1. Set the computer to pick the lines. Start with the best Perceptor last 3 comparable.

2. Look at the Segments screen. Look at the first fraction. Is the winner in the top 5 first fraction or second call? Are the 0.0 first fraction and the 0.0 2nd call horses different horses? Which side of the screen (the numbers or the horse graph) best predicts the race? What kind of a pattern can you see? Any that look like what you see below? Based on the pattern you see choose the two or three you might bet as winners (even if you do know who actually won).

3. Look at the BL/BL screen. Does the winner rank high in VDC and CSR? What do the other numbers give as a picture of your choices performance? My stats indicate that winning horses will have VDC ranking of 1 or 2 67% of the time and a CSR of 1 or 2 59% of the time. 9 out of 10 times the winner will have a CSR in the top 5. Does that hold true? What do you see? Do you see highly rated VDC horses who are rated outside the top 5 CSR?

4. Look at the velocity screen (PofH). Are your win possibilities getting into position in the first fraction? Second Fraction?

5. Of your 20 races where you knew the winner, did that winner come to these standards in 12 -15 of the races? Can you see cases where one of your top horses had great numbers but when you look at his past performances it is easy to see that we are experiencing "Fun with Numbers" and he can't possibly win? That can happen with routers in a sprint and the router just has never won or done well in a sprint. But his numbers look good. The same with a sprinter in a route. Always check your betting choices before you go to the window. If we can get to that percentage of winners then we can start to talk about leveraging our money doing exactas or multiple win bets.

Write down the process steps that seem to work best for you. Try to stick with the process for a while and see if it continues to work. Down the road you may need to come back to your process if things start to go wrong.

Now do 20 races where you do not know the win, place and show horses. Pick your choices, how did you do?

Let me know what you see when you approach the races in this fashion.

Hope this help you have a place to start.

Here are some examples of patterns you might see:

The Superior Ability Horse(s)

Name:  TP6 1.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  247.0 KB

Notice that our top two total energy horses show up as the winners on both sides of the screen. The 5, an EP, shows to take the lead by the 2nd call as you can expect an EP to do. The 6 looks to be coming late. The finish show that they win by over 10 lengths. Of course everyone else at the track saw that they are better horses but it remains a pattern that we can look for.

Name:  TP6 2.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  282.1 KB

The rest of the numbers verify what we believed. They appear to be the best by far.

Name:  TP6 3.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  289.0 KB

The 5 shows as a presser he will be out front at least by the 2nd call. If you look below you can see that he was on the lead from the start. The 6 ran like the numbers indicated that he should. He got back a ways and ran well in the 2nd and 3rd fraction to finish 2nd. Using running styles it is easy to predict that an S router will get way back and unless he folds the EP sprinter will finish in front of him in this sprint. A straight 5/6 exacta is one way to take money out of a race like this.

Name:  TP6 4.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  261.8 KB

'Something magical happens when you bring together a group of people from different disciplines with a common purpose.' Mark Stefik Palo Alto Research Centre Fellow
kahunab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
kahunab
Grade 2

Some other patterns you might see........

A Normal Developing Race

Name:  PRX1 1.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  238.6 KB

Our high energy horses are pressers who are up close at the first and second calls. We have the same leader for the first two fractions so we are looking to call the race from the number side (left) of the screen. It looks like the 2,4,8 are pressers who get too far back. The horses we like are the 6,9,3. They can run to their preferred style. The 5 is a class horse that can’t run to his preferred early style. His early speed points will put him out front but most likely he will not have enough energy to win. He can still hit the board for exotics particularly since the 2,4,8 look to be too far back.

Name:  PRX1 2.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  79.5 KB

Here we see a red flag. Not the 9 is outside the top five CSR. He is getting good ratings but is too slow to win. The next horse the 2 is too far back. Remember the segments screen. We will bet the 6 and either the 5 or the 3. They are both with in CSR parameters. I chose to bet the 3 for win as the 5 was off of a layoff. My exacta choice was the 6,3/6,3,9,5.

Name:  PRX1 3.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  278.0 KB

The 3 and 5 will probably lead this one. The 3 because he has early velocity ratings and the 5 because he is an E6. He will try to get to the front.

Name:  PRX1 4.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  250.8 KB

So after the DQ, I lost the bet, but my analysis was right. This race points out how no matter how much you understand the race, the racing gods can strike. We did have the right top 4 horses and the horses we read as not being able to compete, 2,4,and 8 did not compete.

'Something magical happens when you bring together a group of people from different disciplines with a common purpose.' Mark Stefik Palo Alto Research Centre Fellow
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
kahunab
Grade 2

The Contentious Front End

Name:  PRX6 1.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  236.6 KB

Who will lead this one? It looks like we have multiple leaders and probably a late race. Where do we look for our winner? Because we have multiple leaders, we look to the “horsey” graphs (the right side) to decide who we will bet. The horses we will look at are the 11,8,4,10. Note that the 10 is an E6 and his first fraction says he can get the lead.

Name:  PRX6 2.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  76.1 KB

Our BL/BL scree tells us that 2 of our 4 horses are too slow. We can’t bet the 4 or the 8 for win. They are outside our top 5 CSR rated horses. We bet the 10 and the 11 for the win. The 9 is a bit of a stretch but you can see that he is a presser who gets into position to win but may be a bit far back in the first fraction. He does have the speed to win he is just too far back. I did not bet him for the place in my exacta bet.

Name:  PRX6 3.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  258.5 KB

Please note how the 9,4,10,3 are running to their preferred style in the first fraction and have the speed to get to where they want to be. The Show horse the 5 is a layoff horse that I threw out but he did have back class. I probably made a mistake with him. But we do get paid well for the win.

Name:  PRX6 4.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  262.8 KB

Last edited by kahunab; 01-02-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Wrong Attachment
Old 01-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
kahunab
Grade 2

The Mess, Chaos or the Pass Race

I post this race as an example of a pattern that we should all learn to recognize. How do you know when to pass? Here we have a race where two of our top 3 horses are layoff horses. They both have good works and have showed they can win off of a layoff. One of our top 5 horses, the 9, only has two lines. Look at the readouts. There is always another race coming where we can recognize and profit from the pattern. We need to run from these Chaos races!!!

Happy New Year and Good, Fun, Profitable, Handicapping.

Name:  SA2 1.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  249.9 KB

Name:  SA2 2.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  SA2 3.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  SA2 4.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  134.3 KB

Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

Charlie Murray

Hi Kahunab
Happy New Year! Thank you for a very helpful teaching thread
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
Segwin
Grade 1

Thanks

Thanks much for taking the time to post Dick, appreciate it. A few questions.

You stated:

4. Look at the velocity screen (PofH). Are your win possibilities getting into position in the first fraction? Second Fraction?

Can you explain this a little more? What is the difference if they get into position in the first or the secondcall?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
kahunab
Grade 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segwin View Post
Thanks much for taking the time to post Dick, appreciate it. A few questions.

You stated:

Can you explain this a little more? What is the difference if they get into position in the first or the secondcall?
Look at the following Segments screen from the PRX Race 1.

Name:  PRX1 1.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  238.6 KB

Compare the pressers.
First notice the 6, he can run in a presser position at both the first and 2nd call. He projects to be .5 at the first call and .1 at the second.
Now look at other pressers who can't make it.

The 2 projects to be 12.5 lengths at the first call and 17.1 at the 2nd, not a very good presser performance.
The 4 projects to be 13.4 at the first call and 14.0 at the 2nd, again not a very good sustained presser performance.
The 8 projects to be 4.8 at the first and loses ground to 13.2 at the second
call. Again not a very hopeful projection for the winner.

Name:  PRX1 3.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  278.0 KB

Notice how you can see the same thing on the Velocity screen. Look at where the 6 projects to be at the F1 and SC calls. Now look at the 2,4,8 horses, all pressers, and where they are projected to be at the F1 and SC calls. Pressers at the back of the field with other pressers way in front of them do not win very many races.

So the answer to your question is: I look for horse to get into position at the first call and maintain that or be close to maintaining that through the 2nd. We are talking about win choices. We have to look at different things for the back holes. Notice the 5 horse. He has class and does run 2nd (wins on the DQ) but he can't get into position where we would expect an early to be in order to win. Remember the 55% Solution manual. He is a classic exacta choice.

Did I answer your question?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Segwin
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunab View Post

Did I answer your question?
Yes you did, thanks much.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
CaptDon100
Grade 2

Thanks Kahunab for the post, I know it takes a lot of work to put all of that together. Well Done.
Don
CaptDon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
atkinsrr
Grade 1

hi Kahunab...read your post yesterday...very informative and interesting...but I would like to make a comment about #4..where you mention why would we ever bet a horse with a CSR rating over 5? Personally I bet higher class horses, mostly stakes and most of them are on the turf. The CSR rating is one factor that I don't use. In the type races that I hcp and bet I have quite a few winners where the CSR is higher than 5.
Yesterday @ GP Naples Bay won and paid me $18.20 in a G3 and her CSR was a 10.
Also looking back to the Breeders Cup turf sprint Mizdirection, who was undefeated on the S.A. downhill turf won with a CSR of 13. I just wanted to caution you about using this number in higher class races such as G1 G2 G3. Yesterday @ S.A. Jeranimo won a G2 on the turf and his original CSR was a 7, and after the program started 2 horses in the race scratched and his CSR dropped to a 5. Hope my comments are helpful...
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote