Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 01-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #11
1retired
Grade 3

Hi folks

I just wanted to takpe a step back and take a few more things into consideratioon regarding which tracks to wager on.

I think that in general it is a good idea to look at those tracks which give you a hgiher average winning odds for your primary trakcs to use. HOWEVER, THERE are certain situations that even with small fields lend themselves to horses winning at hgiher odds. I am reminded of those situations brought to light by Dick Werpy (Kahunab) such as those horses that win because the ESP speed configuraiton of the horses in the race. For example, in a 6 or 7 horse field, the lone early speed horse can sometimes wire the field . For another example, three or four high early speed horses in a 6, 7 or 8 horse field can set up the race to be won by a Sustained horse.

Those type situations aside, I do think that in geeneral, you will get more bang for your buck betting on horses at tracks with higher average winning odds.

Let me be ever so humble that I recognize that I can be wrong and other heads may have a better idea, I'm more than willing to listen to someone else who has some better ideas on this subject. If you do, please, let's hear them .

1 Retireed
1retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:42 PM   #12
DanBoals
Grade 1

Hey 1Retired,

You are absolutely correct that even in 5 horse fields, there are sometimes good bets that show consistent profit. There can be opportunities at tracks that consistently show low odds for winners, I agree.

My problem is that I am a slow handicapper. My dad knew Bradshaw because they were both Sartin guys and both lived in Tulsa and both bet at the OTB there, and the Hat could handicap 4 tracks at a time. But, the Hat was fast naturally, and had a ton of experience working that many tracks at once. For me, my ROI drops precipitously whenever I try to play more than one track at a time.

So for me playing one track at a time, or more accurately one race every 20 minutes or so, I have to choose which upcoming race to handicap that without handicapping it first, I think gives me the best chance to have a playable race that I can hope for a profit. That is why I have the race selection methods that I use, over time, they seem to give me more playable races per day. I really hate handicapping a race only to find that my two most likely horses have odds of 2-1 or less, and the next two most likely horses have odds under 5-1. For me, I have a hard time showing a profit on a race like that.

I typically bet at the Atlantis here in Reno, so I bring my laptop and plug into a desk and go for 3 or 4 hours, playing mainly one track with a secondary track to turn to if my main track has a race with a small field or multiple first time starters or something.

At this point in my journey, I think I am a decent handicapper using RDSS, but slow (by slow I mean a race takes about 20 minutes for me). My main areas that need to be improved to make more money per day is choosing which races that are coming up to handicap, so I do not waste time handicapping races that do not show a decent ROI; and, coming up with a good betting strategy.

In fact, my biggest fault right now, is in not being able to consistently make the best bets on my selected contenders. I really need to improve here and if anyone has a good strategy on this, would like to hear it.

Dan
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote