Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 06-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

Tandem Losers

Richie,

If you don’t mind, I would like to hear your comments ( and anyone else’s who would care to comment) on tandem losers. I haven’t seen much discussion on this subject, other than to eliminate them as “tandem losers”.

Here are a couple of questions I have on the subject.

1 – horse “A” ( a closer ) loses to horse “B” ( a need to lead) in a race where there were no other early horses. Does this mean horse “A” can never beat horse “B”? Does this mean that whenever we see horse “A” and horse “B” in a race together we automatically throw out horse “A”?

and of course, the opposite

2 – Horse “A” ( a need to lead) loses to horse “B” (a closer) in a race full of competitive early types. My questions here are the same as above.

3 – horse “A” is at the bottom of his form cycle and loses to horse “B” who is at the top of his form cycle. Can not horse “A” ever beat horse “B”?

As I see it, when evaluating a race based on the match ups presented to us in that race, how can we dismiss a tandem loser without knowing the match ups from that race, that may have affected the outcome, in the same way as today’s match up will affect the outcome of today’s race?
Let me put it another way. We see a tandem. Shouldn’t we ask “why” did horse “A” beat horse “B” in that race?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
mikesal57
Grade 1

Excellent points you asked....

its no hard fact , but from my betting the winner of a tandem most like will beat him again ...I had plenty that bit my ass and didnt think he do it again

I believe Bill V mentioned to look at a tandem loser deeper if he lost by 3-4 lts and predict if the same situation will happen again..just off the top of my head

mike
Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
RichieP
Grade 1

"FTL"

I was taught using the "Mind's Eye" layout by Hat and not the 5 Step Approach.

I was taught to use tandems when they help me and ignore them when they don't.

There are many different scenarios including as you said various pace/positional matchups that could alter tandem finishes.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
"FTL"

I was taught using the "Mind's Eye" layout by Hat and not the 5 Step Approach.

I was taught to use tandems when they help me and ignore them when they don't.

There are many different scenarios including as you said various pace/positional matchups that could alter tandem finishes.
Thanks Richie. To me, that makes a lot more sense than just blindly throwing horses out because they are a tandem loser. I appreciate your input.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
tfm
Former member

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Lead View Post
Let me put it another way. We see a tandem. Shouldn’t we ask “why” did horse “A” beat horse “B” in that race?
Sometimes, the answer is evident in the data (chart). Always, the answer is in the replay. Rather than relying on the less than accurate comments and data of the chartmaker (excepting WO), you can always fire up the replay and base your decision on accurate, first hand information.
tfm is offline   Reply With Quote