Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Bill V.
The egg man

POH POR and Dec

From a PM

Quote:
poh vs por
Bill
Sorry to bother you. I was wondering if you could please send me a simplified explanation of the following... I appreciate your time. Not finding anything that I completely understand. Thanks,

POH-
POR-
difference between both

DCL-
POH stands for Pace of Horse

POR stands for Pace of Race

What you see at the far right of this RDSS Past Performance
is the POR and POH total energy for that pace line

I picked this horse cause it went wire to wire in its last race

Name:  POR POH.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  125.8 KB

Since Bill went wire to wire It was the horse that triggered the timer
at each call

Bill was the horse on the lead with a 24.1 49.7 115.7 and 146.4
So RDSS has figured the total energy for those fractions with zero beaten lengths to be 157.9
So the Pace of the Race is the pace of the fractions with zero beaten lengths
Since Bill was the horse on the lead The Pace of Horse is also 157.9

In line 2 Bill almost went wire to wire, This time ,just a little slower
and lost .8 at the finish. So now another horse besides Bill was involved in the Pace of Race.
Now Bill gets a 157.5 Pace of Horse . Yet the Pace of Race was 157.6
Looking at line 3 . Bill ran a 155.4 POH But in this race 3 horses were
ahead of it in the first call, Then 1 horse at the second call, then 2 at the stretch and 3 horses beat it in the end , Along the way in this race
one or more of those leaders was the horse that set off the timer at each call Bill had beaten lengths so the POR was much faster than what Bill ran
156.1 to 155.4

Decl. stands for deceleration. I'm going to have to deflect to somebody else. I am not sure but I beleive its a ratio number that measures how much the horse decelerated throughout the race
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
Mitch44
Grade 1

DCL is a measurement of deceleration from the SC (second call) and the 3rd FR. in FEET PER SECOND I.e. SC is 55.2 & 3rd Fr is 51.0 Note this .2 & .0 are rounded off
SC divided by 3rd FR = 51.0 /55.2 = 0.9239130435 rounded off is 92.4 DCL

In phase 1 deceleration was measured by plus or minus I.E. above would be - 4.2 If applying this formula to Phase 1 you won't get the same numbers all the time because phase 1 isn't as accurate as FPS and mainly because the Phase 1 has a built in deceleration already in it, besides why do that when the Velocity-POH screen already has this computed for you in RDSS and is more accurate. DCL is in the V/DC rating along with other good stuff, slightly different but conceptually the same.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 02-28-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

The reason I recommended Phase 1 users not to use the formula is that it will confuse the hell out you if your using TPR numbers. I recommend you use the + or -. I.e. 90 and 80 would be -10 or 80 95 would be +15 as in the book Pace Makes the Race. It's much easier to understand than the DEC formula for many reasons that are too detailed to put into a small post.

Soon this will be a mute point as the new version of RDSS will have the V/DC included on the TPR screen. That contains DEC and several other goodies which supersedes both DEC and the - 10 or +15. It'll up the game for all those that use TPR. Myself I always refer to TPR it in my analysis as the starting point as numbers on a scale of 100 are easier for me to comprehend, especially as compared to feet per second.
Mitch44
Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man

Vdc

Mitch
Thank you for the clarification, The VDC readout on the TPR screen
is the actual VDC readout. Its the same readout that we have seen on the BLBL
on RDSS all along, Yes it come from all three fractions.
It is not a Phase 1 readout It is Doc Sarins very complex readout that measures velocity relative to deceleration throughout the entire race.
It was added to the TPR screen by from a request I made to Ted, I asked Ted
to include it on the TPR screen because I used VDC as a final decision tool
Now I also use very successfully RX3

Thank you for your well written and mature attitude to my questions on the PM. You are a good teacher, and reply with class.

I see what your saying. I guess over time I could get used to the 100 scale
deceleration readout on the POH tab. However after 20 years of looking at the sticks on the Early Late graph It just makes more sense to me.
And it is what Doc used , so I want to stay with it.

Name:  Mitch.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  Mitch VDC.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  POR Mitch.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  88.7 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
Mitch44
Grade 1

Thanks Bill. I also use the early & late sticks and they greatly aide me in the picking of pace lines. Once I have my contenders and pace lines my analysis starts with TPR and than onto a couple other screens. Some I don't use. I look at DEC even through I know its within V/DC.

One has to find what works and that can only be accomplished through collecting data. It'll close a lot of holes in a players game. Most things in there work and have proven worth, one must fine the best of the best and than supplement it with other data because there is no one magic bullet or black box. Your request Bill to place V/DC on the TPR screen will greatly improve a players game, a tremendous corollary.
Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 03-02-2017 at 09:56 AM.