Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
JLG
Grade 1

How do people track what they wager?

So I travel a decent amount with my job (I am in 20 degree philadelphia right now instead of 75 degree los angeles, brrr). I read a lot of books when I travel. Have read a few on handicapping the last few months.

One of the common themes in these books is that successful handicapers track what they bet.

I was wondering how people do this? I have tried with little success in the past year or so as I miss whole days when I go physically to the racetrack. Do you use spreadsheet like excel, a database, handwritten, etc.?

I really want to be able to analyze my wagers by track, date, wager type (i.e. - win bets vs. exactas vs. pick3s,) to get my own personal ROIs based on those bets. I think this would allow me to analyze each bet type and determine where my bankroll should be going.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Jim
JLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

wager

I use 20 race wager decision forms for my win bets

For all other bets I just use the look up feature
on my online account wagering site.
I make all my bets on line. Even when I go to live racing or a OTB
I bet online from my labtop so every bet I make is always recorded
and reviewable
The only bet I study is win bets amd the position they come from
on the BLBL
Last year I bet a percentage of bank roll system That worked pretty well
but I was only betting strait pool wagers
So far this year I have also been betting exactas and daily doubles
and pick 3' since I have just started to bet these types
I have only been beting small so just to feel my way around
Although Richie P's $20 based bet $7 win x 2 plus a $6 dollar
exactas looks like a good size bet for me

anyway All my bets are recorded on the account so Its just a review
thing for me

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Tim Y
turf historian

Every time I lecture to a handicapping audience I explain the same thing about the game: How are you ever going to KNOW YOUR particular strengths and weaknesses unless YOU review (with brutal honesty) YOUR OWN handicapping and wagering decisions? How do great athletes understand their problems? through secondary observation of their form (via coaches, videotape, trainers etc.) on a REGULAR basis as we all are guilty of slipping back into bad habits.

I started a racing diary about the time Validator came out. It was two tiered: on one page I wrote out my handicapping logic (for each race as I had the data to refer back to in the program) and my wagering logic and practiced wagering logic even on those races I did not bet on (unless it was a outright pass) to practice the wagering muscles as well. I followed 5 tracks and used the same several factors which I then wrote out in the margins of the result charts: EPR, E/EPR, LPR. L/EP Validator rank, e/l, total energy.

After 6 months of doing this everyday or every card, I reviewed the findings and realized I had some glaring HOLES in both MY logic (As related to some but not all the tracks I followed) and my wagering had holes (betting too many underlays, turf racing was a big zero - that is how I found the Pizzolla window after this study). This was HOW I ATTACKED THE GAME, and this was what I DISCOVERED about myself and the best ways to use the program (this is how I discovered e/l relativity and have never looked back).

ALL OF US HAVE WEAKNESSES.They are different person to person, but the ONLY way to discover them is to be your OWN COACH, be completely HONEST with yourself and go out and FIND where your weaknesses are. It takes a LARGE sampling to find out recurrent problems so I suggest three months minimum and regular (twice a year or, as I had to do this Winter when Aqueduct turned around on me, more often as the results dictate)
Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Tim Y
turf historian

last part should have read PERIODIC updates on reviews as I do one every three months, or more often if I am after a new venue.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG View Post
I really want to be able to analyze my wagers by track, date, wager type (i.e. - win bets vs. exactas vs. pick3s,) to get my own personal ROIs based on those bets. I think this would allow me to analyze each bet type and determine where my bankroll should be going.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Jim
Morning Jim
Twinspires betting account allows you to do exactly what you are looking to do. EVERYTHING you are looking to accomplish is in place now.

You also get a $100 sign up bonus PLUS an additional $50.00 for you and $100.00 for the person referring you to the site. It is called "Refer a Friend"
http://www.twinspires.com/content/benefits
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
JLG
Grade 1

Thanks for the info guys. I will take a look at Twinspires Richie.

I do most of my wagering (when not physically at the track) via an off shore account. 7% rebate on most tracks if put in online, 4% if I call it in via 800 number.
JLG is offline   Reply With Quote