Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 06-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

My RDSS Experience!

All,
The initial setup with Trackmaster and RDSS went smoothly. Another session or two with the software re: getting familiar with the process and I
was able to begin handicapping a Belmont Card. Being a former Sartin user and having gone to a couple of Las Vegas seminars in the 90's, I was quite impressed with the software development. The choices one has to evaluate a race are many and credit must be given to Ted, Bill and Richie for both their knowledge and computer skills.
Successful handicapping is always the goal no matter what level the person is at. When one begins using a new program, there is a lot of fundamental learning that must take place before you can meet your goals.
The one advantage that users have is to utilize the learning opportunities on this web site. I've gone over Ted's, Bill's and Richie's handicapping approaches several times to become familiar with and incorporate some of the ideas presented into my approach.
I'm a 3x5 card guy and I've gone through several cards taking notes and then reviewing them. I have used a card for each race making sure that I have included the important data. When the race is completed I go back and circle the horses number in that racing category. This step I feel gives me confidence in using areas of the program are stronger than others at my track.
The area of difficulty for me is picking pacelines. It seemed easy when I
looked at the experts choices on the videos. It's been a while since I've picked pacelines and with daily practice I know it will get better. Review after the races have been run, helps as well.
Belmont has been my track of choice for this work in progress. The rainy weather has resulted in races coming off the turf with lots of scratches. So to evaluate one's progress accurately you have to take into account this variable as well.
This handicapping software process has been an enjoyable challenge! I have the patience not to bet my selections because I know it will affect the
necessary learning that has to take place first. That way there is no pressure to force selections. Saratoga will be on the docket soon enough!
Remember, this is one handicapper's opinion! It may help some users and some it may not. Let's hear some other suggestions!
Maxspa
Old 06-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
mikesal57
Grade 1

First of all welcome to Pace and Cap...(your first post )

second..dont be focused on one track..I live in New York and thought the world of our 3 tracks...but for well over 30 years I've been a loser

I almost gave up completely until I found this site last year..

RDSS and The Hat's Match-Up, taught by Richie P, has turned things around for me..I wont say that I'm winning tons of money but I've been holding my head above water for the past several months. I've hit horses with 40-30-20-1 odds on several occasions that I've wouldn't have even looked at before.

I have gone over postings and asked questions like u wouldn't believe, but all the guys here didnt hesitate to steer me in the right direction..I truly love them all....you will too...just give them a chance..

New York tracks have been and still is my down fall...but tracks like Arlington, Hollywood,Hawthorne and Florida's tracks have been very good to me.. so use RDSS on several different tracks..

lastly...read,read,read...practice,practice,practice ..theres several posts on picking pace lines here

good luck Maxspa

mike
Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Words of Encouragement Are Priceless!

Mikesal,
Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas! Yes, one gets better by being aware of others accomplishments and particularly the suggestions by people who have tested ideas to share. For now I've made a committment to work on New York Tracks because I'm originally from Saratoga and plan to be back there in August. After that I will try your suggestion to include other venues.
Maxspa
Old 06-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
RichieP
Grade 1

Hi Max
Hey first off welcome!

When I first hooked up with Hat on the phone asking him to teach me his matchup he kinda interviewed me a couple of times on the phone first.

He wanted to know my beliefs/strengths/weaknesses as I perceived them. He focused on strengths of mine and developed a "style" to teach that fit me the individual.

It is this learning a new way or method that enables me to give you the following feedback Max:
Watch all the videos and look at the screenshots of members on the site here. Take it all in and see what different folks do.

Then sit back and identify YOUR strengths and comfort levels working races. Once you do then you might take a little something from different folks approaches that seem a nice "fit" to what you are comfortable doing. Hopefully it taps up your game and makes you a better player/capper.

Most important is to develop a style of play that you are most comfortable with and that can not come from copying someone else's style because in the end capping/wagering for profit is a very LONELY and personal journey. So much so that Hat constantly told me when I was playing non stop to make sure that OTHER parts of my life involved relating with people and community. This was to offset the MANY lonely hours spent alone capping races.

I wish you the best Max and from years of reading your posts on PA I feel I know you a bit though we have never met. You are a true class act and a serious POSITIVE addition to Pace and Cap.

Come heck or high water I am getting my butt to Saratoga for P&C day this year. Can't wait to meet the fellas/gals!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Hey Max

I too am new here and let me tell you I am very impressed and extremely happy with all that goes no here.

Welcome and enjoy.

Good luck

Patrick
Old 06-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

I Can't "Match Up" Your Comments!! But I'll Try!!!

Richie,
Some excellent ideas on how to approach handicapping. I believe that handicapping is part psychological along with a great deal of hard work. However,that being said one has to have the correct tools to be successful as well. This program has some of the tools necessary and also people willing to demonstrate how they are used. How many software programs could one buy with just a sheet of instructions on how to install the program and then you were on your own?
Some Jim Bradshaw Comments
At the Tom Brohamer roast, I had the pleasure of listening to Jim Bradshaw breakdown the running of a race. He was the fastest and the most accurate of anyone I had ever come into contact with. He mentioned that he was a college track coach and used some of the race basics in his handicapping techniques. Jim also doffed his Black hat and displayed a full head of hair much to the surprise of the seminar participants. Later I purchased A Odds Gold from him and had trouble installing the program. I contacted Jim and he was a very patient individual and also very helpful. He truly will be missed by all of us who had the pleasure to meet him.
Maxspa
P.S. What has happened to Randy Kovacs?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Surprised to See You Here!!!!

Patrick,
Welcome to RDSS! I hope everything is going well and that includes your handicapping!
Maxspa
Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #8
BillN
Maiden

I'm evaluating the program right now, I downloaded it three days ago and have capped three cards: two at Hol and Friday night's card at Churchill. I am truly impressed.

I appreciate the videos that Ted has put together and the examples that Richie and Bill have set up; it really makes getting up to speed much easier. I know virtually nothing about the methodology, although I have been handicapping the horses for a long time, but I'm here to learn.

Bill (plainolebill @ PA)
Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

A Familiar Name!

PlainObill,
Welcome to the RDSS board! I know you have some excellent, well researched handicapping ideas and that you respect handicapping as the tremendous challenge that it is! Good luck with he software and I hope you continue to share your ideas!
Maxspa
Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Zaf
Grade 2

Max, Good to hear from you. Catch you in Saratoga this summer, glad you'll make it this year ! Patrick, heard you & Tom made some serious cash at Finger Lakes ! Way to go guys ! RDSS is a great program ! Richie, looking forward to meeting you at the SPA as well !