Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #71
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Recap of 'non-responsive' workaround & TwinSpires data outage

This post is a 'landing zone' where I can refer folks (e.g. by email) to the workaround solution to the recently occurring 'non-responsive' issue.

The Workaround:

(Note: you must be using the current version of RDSS: V2.1.049.11. If you are using an earlier version, you should update now to the current version (click the RDSS Icon upper-right corner of the website. This workaround does not work on earlier versions).

IF you are experiencing RDSS to be running very slowly, or if the 'spinning wheel' or Windows 'non-responsive' message appears -- THEN every time you start RDSS please re-register it by going the Registration Tab and click the Update Registration Info button. Then - DO NOT EXIT RDSS, rather just continue straightaway with your handicapping, or downloading/converting Tasks then assembling new race cards.

If you close RDSS or if crashes for some reason, when you restart RDSS, you must again re-register RDSS as described above, before starting your handicapping - otherwise you will continue to experience the 'non-responsive' slow-down problem.

According to the posts above in this Thread, and in my own experience and in numerous email correspondence, this solution almost always works. If not for you - after carefully checking you have followed the above advice - please contact me and I will do my best to help you.

As discussed earlier in this Thread, this problem occurs when RDSS attempts to contact a TwinSpires server periodically to fetch Scratch and other Race Change info, but new recent behaviour from that server is that the request is never fulfilled and RDSS stalls while waiting for the response until a timeout. For some (as yet unknown ) reason, re-registering RDSS first (each session) resolves this problem.

This will require a software update to fully resolve, which I am working on as fast as I can. I will inform everybody when that update is available.

-------
Updated -- October 6, 2020

In the past few weeks, RDSS access to live tote data, scratches and TwinSpires figures ProfitLine and BRIS Prime Power - has stopped because TwinSpires modified its website without notice. Not only RDSS but other software accessing these data have been affected.

There is more discussion about this latest issue further along in this Thread.

I have managed to resolve all these stability issues (and more) in a significant update planned for RDSS before the end of October. I will advise all RDSS users by email and also here on the PaceandCap website about the update.

Thank you all for your understanding!

-------
Updated -- October 27, 2020

All these issues have been fixed and will be available in the update available by October 31, 2020 or earlier. Please check this thread for progress: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthr...ewpost&t=13314

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 10-27-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #72
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

If you have a fix for this before the update is ready, I sure would love to get it. I don't use RDSS as much as many users do, but I do find that this non-responsive thing is extremely frustrating. Sometimes it elicits a few cuss words not as moderate as swear words.
Good luck and good progress!
Pat
Old 08-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #73
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Arkie Gal View Post
If you have a fix for this before the update is ready, I sure would love to get it. I don't use RDSS as much as many users do, but I do find that this non-responsive thing is extremely frustrating. Sometimes it elicits a few cuss words not as moderate as swear words.
Good luck and good progress!
Pat
Pat, is your experience different than what's reported by other users who use the workaround? Namely: after starting RDSS, you have to wait for several seconds while the wheel spins, then when it stops, go to the Registration Tab and click the Update Registration Info button. Thereafter, all is normal.

Is it that initial delay that elicits the cussing, or does something cuss-worthy still happen after that?

This workaround IS the fix, before the next update!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 08-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #74
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

Yes, I use the workaround, but it sometimes it works for a period of time and stops then I have to go through the process again.
Pat
Old 08-07-2020, 05:40 PM   #75
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Sorry to hear that Pat. At this time, I don't have any other workaround to suggest which works for an entire RDSS session.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 08-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #76
dlivery
Grade 1

NoNo/Respone

After downloading woodbine was a complete No Response.
No internet conection
Old 08-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #77
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlivery View Post
After downloading woodbine was a complete No Response.
No internet conection

OK, tell me more ...

R
DSS -
Old 08-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #78
dlivery
Grade 1

Let's leave this as a work around...

I will document the next Wood bine test
Old 09-20-2020, 09:52 PM   #79
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Update ...

Hello Folks, as many of you will know from emails and conversations, I am planning on an initial update to RDSS - RDSS2.2 - sometime before the end of October, earlier if I can.

At the very least, the initial update will cover the recent 'not responding' problem discussed in this Thread, as well as several other stability issues, a few of the worst bugs and more documentation. After that, I plan updates much more frequently over the coming several months than have appeared over the past year.

In case anyone is still unaware of the workaround to the 'not responding' issue, it is summarized in this post earlier in this Thread: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=71

I appreciate everyone's patience recently. RDSS will have a long future yet and will continue to be a spectacular tool for implementing the Sartin Methodology to profit in betting at the races.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 09-20-2020, 11:24 PM   #80
papajohn3times
Grade 1

Smile Workaround

Well Ted
I did buy a new computer but as my grandson advised, I only us it for RDSS !
I still get the no response message but the work around works great. But when I switch to another track, I have to do the process again but no big deal for me!
Papa John

Balance of discussion on betting moved to a separate thread: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13264

Leaving this thread for comments related to RDSS workaround.

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-22-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Closed Thread