Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 07-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #41
kevbrim
AlwNW1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
kev:
If you put it up I'll do that . Of course someone else may disagree.

Horses run slower in route races so looking for a competitive internal time of other sprinters in the race is not the answer. An internal time in a route race must be adjusted.

Mitch44
I've got so many races in my brain right now I'm not sure if I could locate it quickly. It has happened a couple times so next time it comes up I'll screen shot it. Could you elaborate on what you mean by "an internal time must be adjusted".

Also
So I'm 62(7 cards) races into my paper betting. I started keeping track once I felt like I had a basic handle of the system and software. I'm still going through the following ups. Think I'm on 77 right now.

I did some number crunching this morning and here is what I've got.

62 races handicapped
21(34%) Winners
22(36%) Losers
19(31%) Passed

I'm doing the $2 Win bets on two horses(a couple times I've thrown in exacta/3 horses)
Total bet $182. Total return $269.8 for ROI of 1.48. I'm pretty excited about that!
BUT. Most of the ROI is from 2 highly profitable cards.
5 winning cards (3 of which were basically break even, 1 of those if it were not for winning 3 of last 4 would have been ugly)
2 losing cards.

So I know its my money and I got to do what I decide to do. But in your opinions should I keep doing some paper bets to work on consistency or go ahead and jump in. 4 of the cards were with the example databases and 3 were working along with live races.
In the live races I would have bet 44 and returned 48. With 2 losing cards and the one I salvaged with 3 of last 4. I think I probably just answered my own question. Haha.
kevbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #42
Mitch44
Grade 1

Kev:

Horses run slower paces in route races and cutting back in distance it can run faster. Sartin had a couple formulas for this, one appeared in the original Pace Line manual and later came he came up with another. I generally use the latter one

He said to adjust each Fraction by -2/5th faster and cut the beaten lengths in half. Many forget about the beaten lengths in this. To simplify this a horse is leading at 6F (second call) in a route run in 1:12.0, you deduct 6/ 5th's. E.g. on lead in a route ran in 112:0 the adjustment would be minus 6/5ths or 1 second plus 1/5 which = 110.4 or 110.80(hundreds). Than compared that to the other contenders to see if it can be competitive, if not it gets tossed.

This is handled by the program, a more simplified way to do is to pick the route line with the fastest internal time. I use both techniques.
Keep in mind that Sartin said; " Its more accurate to extract that to project." The reason is two fold; 1. with extractions the horse has actually ran that fast and 2. because of the deceleration factor projecting is a crapshoot or hap hazard at best. Horses don't neatly run according to "Sartin Downs". No one can predict where that deceleration will take place. Horses that can win at 8F get beat at 1/116 which is why races are carded by different distances to give every horse a chance of winning. There are ways to get a rough idea but it is by no means completely accurate.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 07-25-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #43
Mitch44
Grade 1

Kev:

I would say go ahead and go for it, reason being 3 or 4 years or plus you'll still be learning about Sartin. So at what point is the right point? Go for it, do post mortems on your loses to learn. Start off small and make larger bets with winnings after each cycle. Manage your money.

There are those that never get all this and give it up, myself the knowledge came after many years to really understand Sartin material. His material isn't an easy read and in many cases his writing doesn't follow a logical sequence. We also tend to make it harder than it really is. Some just are quitters while the most fail to accept new ideas. Without an open mind your doomed from the start, far too many are not adaptable and tend to reside in the past. Get rid of the baggage and keep an open mind.

BLBL is there isn't a lot of instant gratification with Sartin concepts etc. The present RDSS far exceeds past techniques etc. Its about as fast tracked as it can get, all these figures initially were done by hand with a calculator. That did give a foundation of understanding, now some just see numbers or ranking but can't grasp them. Those old timers seem to do much better and are winners, they benefit greatly from that apprenticeship they served. They also tend to be the winners on this site, such as LT1, Richie Mathie, Richie P., Ted, Bill V. who is no longer with us, etc.

Its human nature not to try new things because of failure, jump in. Jumping in here isn't like not being able to swim and being thrown into a pool. This won't kill you. Go for it.

Mitch44
Old 07-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #44
kevbrim
AlwNW1X

Thanks Mitch for the encouragement. I'm doing Saratoga today. Question about DTV

I'll have to figure out how to post pictures. I'll describe. So I'm down to my top 5 contenders. 4 of the have a -1 DTV and one of them has a +18 DTV. How do I interpret the large spread in those numbers? Or is it not a big deal.
kevbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #45
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbrim View Post
Thanks Mitch for the encouragement. I'm doing Saratoga today. Question about DTV

I'll have to figure out how to post pictures. I'll describe. So I'm down to my top 5 contenders. 4 of the have a -1 DTV and one of them has a +18 DTV. How do I interpret the large spread in those numbers? Or is it not a big deal.
Hey, my 2 cents - simply, one of those horses ran it's most representative race against a slow track (slow times) that day: +18. So, to compare it best with the others horses who most representative lines were all hovering around normal ( 0 DTV, give or take 1 point = close to normal) by letting the program use only half of the first 15 DTV point of that slow +18 horse (i.e. with the Default settings of 50% DTV and min/max DTV of -15/+15). So, with those settings, that horse's times would be sped up by the time value of max +15 divided by 2 (i.e. 50%) or 7.5 points - whatever the time value of those points is, depending on distance of the paceline selected.

Let the program do the equalization, once you've decided that particular line is best for that horse. This is how sometimes longer priced horses get elevated into consideration, for Win or for verticals: it looks slow, but only because EVERY runner from that day's same distance structure and surface's races ran slow. Put that horse on a faster inherent surface and see how he compares to the others with +-1 DTV.

Again, my 2 cents! Good luck.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #46
Mitch44
Grade 1

I agree with Ted Kev. ,that is if your settings are set at -15 & +15.

The program will adjust any variant, therefore I like to view it as compared to my other contenders and in this case it appears out of the norm as compared to other contenders. It may be legit and than again it may not.There is no harm at looking for another line due to the fact it is aberrant as compared to your other contenders. Many times a horse will come up by using more than one line. If it doesn't have another line than just trust the program. As Ted said the program should handle this situation.

The program has a safety feature built in by Sartin studies of using only 50% of the adjustment, earlier programs used 100% and in most cases made a horse a real contender when it wasn't.

Mitch44
Old 10-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #47
Kisha
AlwNW3X

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and have only been using RDSS a couple of days now. I had what I'd call success on my first day. Then I went back and read the glossary and I have a few more questions.

After assembling races, what preparation steps are performed that would need to be reversed? I hadn't assembled anything the first time. Now I know why the races are highlighted in blue. I only noticed that the FTS column is updated. Is it possible to include scratches in the assembling process?

Is there a way to change the browser that automatically opens within the software?

Were the Results and Profit Line Tabs removed from the Race Card Summary screen?

Should a 00 Horse's RS only be changed if it has a right-pointing arrow and underline rank? The 5 horse in BEL Race 2 today showed 00s for F1, SC and Fin, but its RS was a P. Should it have been changed to an E?

Also, how are images without a URL added to a post? I wanted to insert a picture of the Segment screen.

Kisha
Kisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #48
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hi Kisha, and welcome! Here are some replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisha View Post
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and have only been using RDSS a couple of days now. I had what I'd call success on my first day. Then I went back and read the glossary and I have a few more questions. Congratulations on the 'opening day' success!

After assembling races, what preparation steps are performed that would need to be reversed? I hadn't assembled anything the first time. Now I know why the races are highlighted in blue. I only noticed that the FTS column is updated. Is it possible to include scratches in the assembling process?

When you click on a race shown on the Card Summary screen to open it for handicapping, the race is 'assembled' (running lines for horses fetched from the database, all factor calculations made, pacelines selected automatically unless you have previously disabled this in the Paceline Selection Strategies Tab). Until recently, assembling also fetched the Scratch Info, tote data, ProfitLine and Prime Power ratings for the race from TwinSpires but the back-end, unannounced change by TS broke this, temporarily. This is fixed and undergoing testing right now for the end of October RDSS update.

Is there a way to change the browser that automatically opens within the software? To the best of my knowledge, the browser that opens when you click on any of the buttons at the bottom of the RDSS Desktop is your Windows system-defined browser. You can change that default in your Windows configuration settings.

Were the Results and Profit Line Tabs removed from the Race Card Summary screen? The data fetched by those buttons stopped working as mentioned above, but the functionality returns soon with the update.

Should a 00 Horse's RS only be changed if it has a right-pointing arrow and underline rank? The 5 horse in BEL Race 2 today showed 00s for F1, SC and Fin, but its RS was a P. Should it have been changed to an E?

RS (Visual Running Style) as displayed in RDSS, is based largely on typical position at the 1st call point. Since this 2nd time runner ran 3rd by an open length at the 1st call point and did not show a tendency or necessity to challenge the leader or be in the lead, it was shown as a P although with a high number of Quirin Speed Points (8), though every analysis is equivocal based on just one running line. As it turned out, the #5 ran again in 3rd position at the 1st call in this race by about the same margin - it would still be labeled a Presser rather than Early or Early Presser.

Notice though that this horse distributed its energy (in its one previous race) Early, which is what you are seeing on the Segments screen (same as Velocity and TPR screens). Energy distribution is another way to measure the mix of pressures likely to be exerted by horses. I'll have to get back to you about why this horse had no arrow or underline (indicating a dominant Early horse) - should have, I think, owning the 1st 2 calls, with E/EP/P Running Style and with 8 Speed Points.

Also, how are images without a URL added to a post? I wanted to insert a picture of the Segment screen.

Create a screenshot from your screen using various tools (Windows built in 'Snipping Tool', Snagit, etc), save to a file on your computer, use the Attachment (paperclip icon) in the message editor to attach that file to your message, then insert the attachment in the position in your message you want it to appear.

Kisha
Again, welcome, and continued good luck and skill!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #49
Kisha
AlwNW3X

Thanks Ted for answering my questions and going into more detail. The energy distribution is a new factor for me (as is quite a few of the other factors). I don't know why I thought I could handle 4 tracks. I tried to "analyze" various factors (SR, RC, CSR, Best 2 Early and Best 2 Late). I also tried to look at the APV% and ITM. I also thought that CR could be used to determine value or ITM. All I know is, I just looked at 2 tracks today (Belmont and CD).

Software question - On some cards, the Win and ITM columns are automatically checked. If nothing is checked, does that mean the assembly process did not find a contender or ITM horse?

Kisha
Kisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #50
rmath
Grade 1

For the past year I have been only looking at the races involved in the P-6 at GP, GPW and a few other tracks.
I was curious to see if the 4 Factors ( VDC, CSR, PL and Prime Power )could be applied to these types of races, with all the different types of races with any success.
What I found was surprising, considering the number of Turf races and Maiden races involved in these races.
I have 900 races or 150 P-6s.
In 38 of the 150 the winner had no rating of 5 or lower in CSR-PL or PP.25%.
These 3 ratings will be the same for everyone. VDC on the other hand is dependant on your paceline selection method.
Using these 3 ratings to find the main contenders will get you the main contenders 75% of the time.
The process of writing up of affordadble tickets is left upto each individual based on your bankroll.
If anyone would like to discuss these findings feel free to contact me.

Rmath
rmath is offline   Reply With Quote