Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Races of Interest
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Races of Interest *Detailed* Discussion of Races – Screen shots, decisions, post-mortems

Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #21
The Pook
Grade 1

Bill

Sorry but I had shifted focus to the 3rd race. You are on the 7th. No wonder I was confused. Maybe I should have started a new thread. Thanks for your effort. You guys are good.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:50 PM   #22
PeteC
Grade 1

Better late than never?

Hi Ted- I was going through some old posts and saw your question. Sorry that I missed it originally!

Anyway, I don't have the full PP's but based on the two horses you posted and your comments here is what I gather:

1) You projected the pace as 22.8 45.4 off of the last line of the 6 horse.
2) You feel the race will go OTE because of the presence of other early runners who can match that pace.
3) You wanted to go against the 8 horse at low odds because it ran early in its last 2 races against a pace slower than today.

All of that makes good sense, there is only one piece that I might add for future consideration..

And, granted, I can't see the whole field and this is 7 months later...

The only thing I would say for the 8 is that even though it ran early in its last 2, it has finished close running OTE in previous races. Those races were also against a faster 1C like you project today.

One thing to consider when you project a 1C time is to also project what position a horse might be in today against that pace. Then try to find a line where it found itself in a similar position. For example, if you think today's pace is 22.8, how many horses will be in front of the 8 at the 1C? If he might be sitting 4th or so, against a 22.8, then I would at least consider how lines 4 or 5 match up to the other OTE contenders.

I'm definitely not saying I would have had this horse, because I know I've thrown out more than my share like this one, thinking the same as you did: that this horse will try to run early and be burned off. However, it definitely pays to give a second look to horses who show wins/close finishes with multiple styles. In the case of the 8, we know if it finds itself in 4th against a faster pace like today, it is capable of rallying.

Hope that helps! Thanks for all of your great work with this site too!!
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #23
mowens33
Grade 1

PeteC, even though it took 7 months your post was well worth the wait!

Excellent Post!!

Thanks, Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote