Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 01-12-2022, 01:06 AM   #11
DanBoals
Grade 1

Hey Bill,

All my notes and copies of the old software code are on my physical hard drives and the motherboard on my PC went kaput on Monday. My motherboard and CPU are from 2012, so I can't just swap out the old motherboard. I ordered replacement parts which should be in on Saturday from Amazon, and then I can rebuild my system and should be able to check my documentation and source code and have some answers for you by Monday. Yes, I really should have a backup system.

I went thru the manuals that are online here and did not see what I was looking for... At one point or another, Howard documented just about everything in the methodology, so it is more a question of finding it than whether it exists. It has been 20+ years and my memory is not what it used to be. Sometimes when I hear something or see something, it jogs loose an old conversation, but normally I have to check my notes.

Sorry for the delay,

Dan
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:27 AM   #12
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoals View Post
Hey Bill,

All my notes and copies of the old software code are on my physical hard drives and the motherboard on my PC went kaput on Monday. My motherboard and CPU are from 2012, so I can't just swap out the old motherboard. I ordered replacement parts which should be in on Saturday from Amazon, and then I can rebuild my system and should be able to check my documentation and source code and have some answers for you by Monday. Yes, I really should have a backup system.

I went thru the manuals that are online here and did not see what I was looking for... At one point or another, Howard documented just about everything in the methodology, so it is more a question of finding it than whether it exists. It has been 20+ years and my memory is not what it used to be. Sometimes when I hear something or see something, it jogs loose an old conversation, but normally I have to check my notes.

Sorry for the delay,

Dan
I am guilty of not having enough backups. If you want to do better than me, keep at least one backup on site and at least one off site. Sometimes backup media fails... I know.
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:38 AM   #13
tom
Grade 1

Storage space in the cloud is cheap, and well worth it.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #14
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoals View Post
Hey Bill,

Sorry for the delay,

Dan
Sorry to hear about that Dan. I was not aware that you had so much info that you could access. Any info that relates to the LPR and Hidden data would be great. I did go back to the first of the year and after mine line choices, listed the top LPR and top Hidden horses. There appears to be a correlation especially when the same horses are top three in both factors. I am looking to see what happens when a top 3 LPR is not top 3 Hidden and vice versa. I will report about it when I get a coherent set of data.

Thanks for your interest.

Bill
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:55 PM   #15
DanBoals
Grade 1

Not to dump my life history on you, but to give a little context as to why I have some info that was not made public... I bought Synthesis in 1999 while living in LA and working as a software developer. I was having a hell of time trying to be profitable with the Trackmaster version, I loved not having to enter data, but was miserable at using the software successfully. Somewhere around 2000, I called to get some help and spoke with Howard and he said if I have a day off, to drive out to Banning and he would see what I was doing and offer advise.

When I went to his office, we got to talking and when he found out I wrote software, he asked me to look at Synthesis and figure out what it would take to make a Windows version. I spent a couple weeks going over the Synthesis software, which is why I have the source code for it, and I made some minor recommendations to it, which Guy implemented, things like using the same constant in the equations on all the different pages, so that something like SPN would show the same value on every page of the software and therefore be a little bit harder to reverse engineer. Once I had a decent idea of what Synthesis did and how it did it, I spent the next couple weeks talking to Howard about what he wanted in a Windows version of the software, and I still have a lot of my notes from those talks. This is how I got straight from Howard the theory of what a lot of variables meant.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:00 PM   #16
DanBoals
Grade 1

Just a follow up note. I was a pretty amateur handicapper and I was dealing with one of if not the best of all time people at understanding how to analyze and bet a horse race.

To say that Howard's words to me were like throwing pearls before swine, is very accurate. I wish I could go back and listen to him again with the experience I have now.