Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Turbulator
Grade 1

Record Keeping Spreadsheet Beta Testers Wanted

Would anyone be interested in "beta" testing an Excel spreadsheet that records your exacta wagering and win betting? If you are, I could use your assistance. I have written an Excel spreadsheet that does just that, and If you would be willing to use the spreadsheet to record and share your results, offer suggestions, report bugs and give some feedback, then I am looking for two or three volunteers.

The spreadsheet is very easy to use and offers a clear, concise and colorful picture of your handicapping progress. You can be up in and running with a minimum of instruction. (Screenshots below.)

This program is basically finished, but I want to make sure it is bug free and practical for use, as well as having many of the more important handicapping features.

It includes an exacta sheet that will record as many horses and combinations as you would like to play, and a win-betting spread sheet that allows you to record your results for betting from one to three horses.

The program will let you see how you are doing for all of the tracks that you are playing. You can also see how you are doing at any individual track for which you have records by simply typing in the track abbreviation to the table. You will be able to collect data and produce at a glance information for all of the following:

Number of Races Bet
Number of Wins
Win Percentage
Money Invested
Money Returned
Profit/Loss
ROI
Day Totals
Number of Exacta Combinations
Cost of Exactas
Average Exacta Pay
Average Win Odds
Average Win Mutuel

It will also break down your results by surface (poly, dirt or turf) and distance (sprint or route.)

I wrote this with Excel 2007, and I purposely designed it to operate without using macros. I am particularly interested in seeing if there is seamless integration with older versions of Excel such as 2000 and 2003. I don't anticipate any problems, but I want to make sure it works across all platforms.

This program is for win bettors and/or exacta players using any version of Excel. Please PM me if interested. Let me know your style of playing and what version of Excel you are using.

Thanks,

Steve
Attached Images

Turbulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Turbulator
Grade 1

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have three testers, and that is a manageable number, so I'm going to stop there for now.

Hopefully, I can find improvements and fix problems before going forward.

Thanks to all,

Steve

Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
RichieP
Grade 1

Steve
I can not thank you enough for your spreadsheet. I use it daily and the more I see it the more I like it.

Everything from the setup to the colors is elegantly done. You are very talented young man!

Thank you for sharing this essential tool to winning
Old 10-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Turbulator
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
Steve
I can not thank you enough for your spreadsheet. I use it daily and the more I see it the more I like it.

Everything from the setup to the colors is elegantly done. You are very talented young man!

Thank you for sharing this essential tool to winning
Thanks, Richie I'm glad it's working out out for you.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
nocal
AlwNW1X

Whatever happened to this spreadsheet? I am looking for something easier than my current system.
nocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I sent you the copy of that spreadsheet which I dug up - good luck! I could not figure out how to enter data in it (if I ever knew). I know there are lots of ways people have made to track decision models and related wagers, payouts and ROI numbers. As I mentioned to you, I'll be giving a general-purpose crack at a variety of record keeping options in the upcoming RDSS release - either to use out of the box or to export data into your own Excel or CSV driven tools.

Maybe Richie remembers how that spreadsheet worked.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
RichieP
Grade 1

Hi Ted
I lost that on my old computer in New Rochelle. It was very good, if you could send me a copy lets see if I can get it going(its been years but....).
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
GeorgeC5614
Grade 3

I am pretty good with Excel if you want to send me a copy I can see if I can get it going. From the images it looks like he is using pivot tables. The data will probably only have to be entered once and then will be populated to all the other tables.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC5614 View Post
I am pretty good with Excel if you want to send me a copy I can see if I can get it going. From the images it looks like he is using pivot tables. The data will probably only have to be entered once and then will be populated to all the other tables.
Done.

R
DSS -
Old 11-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Update

I wrote to 'Turbulator' mentioning new action in this Thread and also asking permission to circulate his spreadsheet further. He replied as follows, and supplied an updated version of his spreadsheet, if anyone was interested.

(Note: I haven't yet looked at it and have no comments so far about its functionality.)

Here is the updated spreadsheet --> Win Bet Record Keeper Beta #5.2M Excel 2010.zip

Thanks Turbulator!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ted, et al

After checking my records, it looks like I had 29 different iterations of this spreadsheet. Some for excel 2003, 2007 and 2010. I can't remember exactly, but I don't believe they were cross compatible.

Later on I added some special things for Richie (match-up type stuff) that he wanted to see, and then a few years after that, it looks like I was working on adding a trifecta sheet and possibly a superfecta sheet. (It appears I was having trouble including the show and fourth place horse when I abandoned the project.)

As I told my beta testers at the time it is a spreadsheet, so it has it's limitations. It works, but you need to know a few simple instructions to get up and running. [Data entry format is important, etc. Data must be entered they way you see it entered in the example tabs. New line for each day, and stuff like that.]

I believe your mom was a beta tester as well.

Anyway, here is the latest copy I could find (Excel 2010) and you (or anyone else) is welcome to play around with it. I spent a little time looking at and fixing a few things. Maybe sometime down the road I can finish what I started. It was a fun project.

Perhaps others can remember more about it, specifically the entry details, deciphering the data, etc. The version I'm sending you I believe is the latest one I sent to Richie, so I'm sure Richie's memory could be jogged once he gets it up and running.

[Turbulator]

PS After playing around with it here are a few things I remember:

1. To replace old information with new use clear contents/not delete
2. There are three win tabs for practicing. The first WIN tab is the one connected to "top choice, "charts" and "individual tracks." WIN!(3) is blank for practice.
4. On the exacta tab enter the track abbreviation in cell J5, it's hidden, you won't see what you type, but it's there.
5. The same is true for the "individual tracks" tab enter the track in cell B13
6. For the "Top Choice" tab enter the track abbreviation in cell B35
7. On the Win and Exacta tabs enter data under the yellow columns. The spreadsheet computes the rest.
8. Sheets are protected, otherwise it would be very easy to mess up the formulas.
9. When entering data on the win/exacta tabs start on the second line...skip the first line. (Sheet should protect you from doing so.)
11. On the exacta tab enter multiple horses separated by a comma.
12. On the exacta and win tab, only enter the winning payoff amount if you actually have the winning combination.
13. Cutting and pasting from one win tab to another doesn't seem to work. It gives a #ref! error. However you can copy and paste, otherwise data must be inserted individually, line by line.

R
DSS -