Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 07-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #11
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
One thing I always wanted to add to the Sartin programs was the ability to overlay the SPECIFIC e/l range for each distance, each track from the database I had gleaned over time (i.e make a different color across the bottom of the e/l range screen that was specific for the track you were following that day) to the bottom of that e/l graph. I just had to go to my database and recall the range. Rule of thumb: IF I had to decide between a more positive or negative e/l, I would usually default to the former.
You have mentioned this before. Consider it added to the list of RDSS V2.1 additions! User specified range point, by track, surface, distance or distance structure, stored and retrieved, displayed, updated, edited, etc. Of course, individual race matchup may trump a long term model - but that's on the user.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
delayjf
Grade 3

Tim Y,

Thanks for the in dept answer, lots of food for thought there.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #13
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
I agree with Tim. In working with my final contenders on the Rx screen I often review the line chosen for each horse to 1) see that the line is within the range of each horses ITM performances and importantly, within the range of when the horse wins and 2) that its generally in the range of all winning performances for the distance. If it fails either criteria its not to win for me.

I recall in The Hat's Matchup manual a race where he preliminarilly accepted the horse as a contender only to discard it in the final analysis because the 'qualifying race' did not look right. Jim never really said what the actual basis was and it wasn't until I worked out the horses e/l history that I saw the horse had tried to run early, a +e/l, when all its good races had a decided -e/l value. The Hat did it in his mind!!!

Anyway knowing your track's E/L limits is a good thing to know.
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #14
Tim Y
turf historian

Since the E/L is another way to relate how much early there is to final fraction. one could THEORETICALLY substitute other expressions of this and probably get the same result: % median, or deceleration (third fraction ratio to 2nd call)
Old 09-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #15
1retired
Grade 3

Early/Late Difference Graph

Tim

Are you still around? Would you be willing to discuss winners obtained using the Earluy/Late Difference Graph?

1 retired
1retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #16
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Tim Y reached out to me on this topic and I invited him to rejoin P&C to answer if he wanted to.

I think the main points he had to make (and he made them repeatedly over the years) was to know the range of E/L balance which could win for a given race/track/distance. If you keep a model of this figure, it serves as a useful filter to weed out non-contenders who otherwise might appear capable from other races, though not in today's context. Bill Lyster has made this case regularly over the years as well.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 09-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #17
Tim Y
turf historian

Finally got logged in. I will review what has been posted already and then begin the SAGA of the e/l numbers which I first used to identify IF an early bias was active or not
Old 09-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #18
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Welcome back Tim!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 09-22-2021, 06:21 PM   #19
Tim Y
turf historian

I tried to post a long entry but it would not show up. I''ll try again later. QUESTIONS??

OVERALL I think most here understand it is a range you are looking to constantly UPDATR

Last edited by Tim Y; 09-22-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote