Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
fastcharlie55
AlwNW2X

Handicapping with Trakus Data

I had a friend ask me to look at trakus charts and race replays. I just wondered if anyone here has used this information and what were the results?

I just got back from an extended vacation and am ready to get started tomorrow with my home track Gulfstream Park.
fastcharlie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
mick
Abiding Student

I made my own speed figures for Woodbine one year and after adjustments for the daily track variant, I made a further adjustment using the Trakus data. It wasn't unusual to have the second or third place horse run a better number than the winner because of the distance "delta." I thought they were good figures but it was a lot of work and I still had a job at the time. Eventually, I gave it up and began using RDSS.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Trakus hasn't partnered with TrackMaster, DRF, TimeForm, HDW, etc. to produce figures. (Or maybe they have and I just don't know about it.)

If I were doing it now, I would take the RDSS Adjusted Speed Ratings and modify those by the Trakus data. RDSS uses 8.33 feet per length and one point equals one length, just like the TPR figures. I was making mine from scratch using the Beyer scale and that was almost a full-time job.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
CheckMark
Conley

Never tried but I think what you can get out of Trakus and the results charts are:

Good replays and easy to read results with trackus

Good info like running times, horse by horse results, footnotes, payouts with exotics, conditions, owner and trainer info with charts

I thought you could make your own “system” with getting the times and running style for each race like for example:

Gulfstream Park: Clm10k going 6F: L5 runnings of this class in the past few days have favored early speed, posts 4,5,6 and the average times have been 22.3, 45, 1:11

And since the meet for GP is just starting you can start to do what I said above for the whole meet! It’s always better to get the times and the running styles and posts favorable early or at least when they start because if you start late, it might not be as accurate!
Good luck!

Last edited by CheckMark; 12-01-2018 at 08:35 AM.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
raceman5
Grade 1

Trackus

Don't waste your time with this, it's garbage. Many many many mistimed races. If you want to read about it go to the pace advantage site and search for Trackus.

Bob
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
fastcharlie55
AlwNW2X

Garbage

I notice that they call Timeform, Bris, Formulator and Moss pace figures garbage. I respect everyone's opinion, but there is no perfect system. I think good cappers find a system they are comfortable with and stay with it.

Unless you have very deep pockets this is a recreational sport that is very challenging and frustrating at the same time. If anyone ever comes up with software that produces a great return on investment, rest assured it will not be for sale.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Bill V.
The egg man

Disagree

Quote:
Unless you have very deep pockets this is a recreational sport that is very challenging and frustrating at the same time. If anyone ever comes up with software that produces a great return on investment, rest assured it will not be for sale.
I disagree, I feel that any using any Sartin program, , mostly RDSS and following a solid consistent paceline selection method, and strick diligent model record keeping. will produce great ROI

Read each follow-up as if it were a separate book and follow Doc's psychology
of winning articles.

in the later follow-ups, Capper's articles also work wonders on building confidence and a winning attitude

It's all about taking each race as an opportunity, to be self-sufficient and win using your brain and guts
That is very satisfying and addictive

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
I did some research for Ted at SA a couple of seasons ago, trying to find a way tran 25 to use the Trakus info.

there were a couple of patterns that developed, but it seems that the prices were very slim. If you found a place or show horse that ran 25 or more feet than the winner in its previous race and was close to the winner at the end it could be a decent play next out if it projected not to have to run wide again. The odds usually reflected the anticipated outcome if this was the case.

If a horse lost by say 25 feet, but ran 25 feet farther than the winner the extra distance may mean nothing.

If you had an E horse who last started in post 10 and could not get the lead, the distance run usually helped cancel that horse's chances. But if the same horse was drawn closer to the rail without much early pressure, a line E today, the horse could be backed.

But in the end it was a lot of work without much payoff. Thankfully Ted found something for me to research that was a lot more profitable, namely, the work on the top 4 CSR horses and the top 4 low odds horses.
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:32 AM   #8
fastcharlie55
AlwNW2X

Trakus Data

Thanks for the input as it saves me from spending to much time on this.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:36 AM   #9
cratman
cratman

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
I disagree, I feel that any using any Sartin program, , mostly RDSS and following a solid consistent paceline selection method, and strick diligent model record keeping. will produce great ROI

Read each follow-up as if it were a separate book and follow Doc's psychology
of winning articles.

in the later follow-ups, Capper's articles also work wonders on building confidence and a winning attitude

It's all about taking each race as an opportunity, to be self-sufficient and win using your brain and guts
That is very satisfying and addictive

Bill
Agree but so much easier said than done. This is why the psychology part addressed by the Doc is so important. Get that right, which is quite difficult for many, and the rest will follow. Prime example Dick Schmidt. He seemed to have the psychology part down, and was consequently very successful.

Cratman
cratman is offline   Reply With Quote