Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 01-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
RichieP
Grade 1

Tablet help needed please!

I have a chance to score a new IPad pro 10.5, I have no clue about technology what these things do

I'm assuming it can run RDSS, does anyone have any experience on the screen size and what RDSS looks like on it?

Is the 64 storage on the base model enough or do I need more? I wouldn't be doing business stuff on it just a lot of photos, streaming races, storing RDSS data files etc

I see they offer 2 models with 1 showing wifi and the other wifi+cellular. Not sure what to go with, is the wifi only one something I can only use here at my homes wifi connection?

Thanx so much in advance for any help I really have no idea
Old 01-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
Bill S
AlwNW3X

Since its an iPad it runs on the OSX/IOS operating system family. RDSS runs on windows. You would have to install a software based Windows emulator on it. They cost around $100. I used to run an emulator called Parallels on my desktop iMac years ago and it ran Windows applications very well, but I never tried RDSS on it. I run RDSS on a Windows 10 Surface Pro 4 tablet currently and it works great, never a problem.

Also you would have to purchase Windows itself that would have to be installed on the emulators partition. So cost wise your talking maybe and extra $300-$400 to do this. That why I just went to a windows based tablet for RDSS even though I'm an iMac user. Less of a hassle. The surface pro is a great tablet, and cards convert/load like lightning on the solid state drive.

Ted can give you more info on it.

Last edited by Bill S; 01-28-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
RichieP
Grade 1

Thanx Bill S wow I had no idea and definite do not want to add all these other things to run RDSS so IPAD is out

So are the "Android" tablets and "Fire" tablets also a non starter regarding running RDSS without add ons?

I definitely will check out the one you mention from Microsoft though I was really hoping to get away from Windows
Old 01-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man

Hi Richie

My next purchase will be , Once I clear up all these medical bills
Will be a Windows Surface Pro .
I watched Ted breeze through 2 days at the Breeder cup with no problem
He also has a nifty extra battery thingy that allowed him to mot have to charge
at all.

I currently am still using my Labtop windows 10 but its big and heavy .
Its fine at home and at Del Mar sufrside , because I have a way to keep it plugged in. But when the live racing is going on at the track across the way,
Its a real hassle. I usually have to sit near a plug and charge up after a bout 1.5 hours.

I have a android tablet which I use all the time. I love it.
The issues Bill S mentioned make me want to go with the surface pro.

Bless
Bill

P.S Hey Richie please check your Private messages
Peace and good heath to you Karen and the family.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Bill S
AlwNW3X

I don't think an Android tablet would work either. RDSS is ported to Windows and Ted mentioned once he has no plans to port it to any other OS. You don't have to purchase a top of the line Surface pro either. Get a used Surface pro 3 or even a 2. Also there are lots of affordable Windows based tablets out there that would work great from other manufacturers. The Surface Pros are good but your paying for the Microsoft name. All RDSS cares about is Windows, and its the same Windows regardless of what tablet its on. Just check the battery life of the tablet. That could be a deciding factor. If your prudent you can get many hours out of a single charge, and then like Bill V said, they have low cost power banks you can plug into your tablet when your running low to recharge the tablet on the fly.

Last edited by Bill S; 01-28-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
mick
Abiding Student

Bill S makes a good point about battery life. I would start by looking at websites like these:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/a...ting-notebooks
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/long-lasting-tablets

At Woodbine, I watched Ted and Gandalf play all day with no problems while my old Thinkpad ran out of juice in less than two hours. So I made a note of Gandalf's little Dell and bought one. It lasts 10-12 hours on a charge.

BTW, I bought the Dell XPS 13.

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 01-28-2018 at 10:11 AM.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Bill S
AlwNW3X

Yes I turn screen brightness down to 25 percent when at the track and have it only connect to the wifi at the track when needed. If your using the free wifi at the track like they have at Parx, the wifi antenna in your tablet can drain the battery dry if it's constantly pinging the wireless access point at the track. Also I turn the screen off when I'm not using it. Only turn it on when using RDSS and then dim it. The screen and wifi antenna are the biggest consumers of power on a tablet. Everything else is solid state and consumes little power.

These tablets have pretty good power/wifi management applications built into them. When used conservatively you can get many hours out of a single charge. They sell very affordable power banks (external battery packs) that you can carry with you to give you extra hours of power too.

Last edited by Bill S; 01-28-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Rich, yes RDSS needs Windows to run (Vista or better - Windows 10 is great!). This means Macs can run it using Windows. iPads and Android tablets cannot. So -- if you really want to get away from Windows - get the nicest Mac you can afford, put Parallels running Windows 10 on it, and have the best of both worlds!

I've been using a Surface Pro3 for several years now as my main computer. It works great. Mum just bought a lightly used Surface Pro3 relatively inexpensively and will use it for everything (including RDSS).

One downside is that the battery life could be better, when mobile. That's why I carry that honking external battery people have seen. Works great. I like Bill S' idea of turning wifi off when mobile, when you don't need it, also dim the screen a bit.

Anyone who gets some kind of Surface tablet who wants extra battery life should check out Mikegyver.com and their line of Surface battery products.

Of course there are other tablet or mini-notebook type devices running only Windows 10 and you should compare a few alternatives. I think those links of Mick's are good ones.

Good luck with the search. I hope we can connect again at Saratoga this summer . Leave that old Radio Shack computer behind

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 01-29-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
RichieP
Grade 1

Thanks Ted I'm checking out all possibilities!

I'm definitely checking out the Parallels using the IPad now.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #10
Bill S
AlwNW3X

Rich, if your considering the emulator route like VM Fusion or Parallels, remember you still need to install windows on it too. If you have to buy a copy of windows, see if you can find a HS or college student friend to buy it for you. Students get deep discounts buying Microsoft stuff. Could save you upwards of $200. I see Parallels is going for about $55.00 now which is about half of what it cost several years ago. That's because back then all you had was Parallels or VM Fusion. Now there are a bunch of them out there. Some free too I think.

I used Parallels and it worked great. Windows worked faster and cleaner under that on my iMac than it did natively on a PC believe it or not.

For $55.00 you can't go wrong with Parallels.

Last edited by Bill S; 01-30-2018 at 07:28 AM.