Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-12-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
Turbulator
Grade 1

Sorry, Richie but I Beg to Differ

Saturday's contest race (2/10) is a perfect example of learning from your mistakes.

I know the Hat says to never look back, but as far as I'm concerned you HAVE to try and learn from your mistakes. At least I do.

When I handicapped this race I thought the three would wire it and if he didn't the six would win. After looking at the race results and going back over the race, I had to ask myself some important questions:

1. Why on earth would I think the three would wire it?

2. Why did I adjust the two by only 1 3/5 seconds instead of 5 seconds. http://tinyurl.com/2ml5zc

3. Why did I think there was a lot of speed in this race and that the three was by far the fastest of the speed?

Now that I've looked back at this race in "hindsight," I realized that this is one of those races you can really learn something from. These are things I wouldn't have learned if I had just moved on and forgot about it.

There are only two legitimate early horses in this race--the one and the two. And the two is MUCH faster, so today he will get the lead.

So now I have to ask myself the question, can the two wire this field--Yes! Yes he can wire it. He had trouble getting the lead and holding it in his last race because of competition on the front end, but he still did the best he could and held onto a tough second. That shouldn't happen in this race. He should get the lead all alone.

The three is a PRESSER not a speed horse. So the three will most likely press again.

The six will be coming, but he probably won't be able to win because the early pace will be slower.

So after the fact I realize that the two will get the lead with the one and three (and perhaps others) pressing. This means the two will probably be able to set a leisurely pace and wire the field.

I have to look back and see where I went wrong if I went wrong. When I do that sometimes I say, "nope, I did everything right, but I still lost...that's the way it goes. But this time I can see where I screwed up, and I wouldn't have been able to figure that out if I hadn't of gone back and objectively looked.

Maybe when (and if) I ever reach the Hat's stature I can move on to the next race and just forget about it, but until that time comes I have to look and see where (and if) I went wrong.

Turbulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Bob Cochran
Grade 1

Cool Turbulator

I thought this was a 2 horse race . In view of the large class edge of the #2
horse, and the speed of the #3 horse. The other "early" pretenders had the
opportunity to make the #2 run a bit faster, but it was unchallenged.

The "big" difference in this race was John Valesquez. 113-3 to the 2nd call. The horse was walking. It ended up as a paceless race.

IMHO
Bob Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
admin
Administrator

Plus from a loss

I hope I am not sounding contradictive I know what Hat and Rich are doing has value
and I respect that they can do it I feel in my head its better for me to go back

I take bits of the Match Up and try to blend it with what I have read in the follow up for years
I am a big believer of going over races till I get it right
This is what Doc and I did when I went to work with him using Validator 2

Yesterday in race 7 at Philadelphia is a great example of getting a positive out of a loss

Here is my BLBL I was using Spec160 since the laptop I use for RDSS is down
at the moment

My bets were the 7 and the 10 what!! look at the 3!! 20-1 on the morning line
Nope I didn't think the three was a true contender based on APV and the pace line

I bet the 7 as my top choice then using my binder method I now had to choose between the
10 and the 11

I bet the 10 - why? It was ranked 3rd oh yeah go back and check Bill
The 3 10 and 11 were all tied at 18.3 on the line score, Plus my records !!!
and I had just been reading in the pace launcher manual about keeping current records
said that for me at Philly The top 2 LPR were winning at 5.5 furlongs
Why then did I ignore the 11
I watched the race with my dad Brooks at Monmouth simulating
The 10 and 7 were both pressing the 8, 5 and 1 They both made beautiful outside moves and blew past
them. I was sure I had it. Dad I'm in!! I have the 10 and here comes the 7... But wait!!! then here comes
another horse HELLO its the 11 blows past both the 7 and 10 and wins and pays $14
I was done. I shut down and just watched the rest of the races
I went back and checked the race when I got home It was a mistake, I used the program
correctly. My lines and contenders were solid. I made the call on the 3
I was sloppy with the my analysis of the race Looking back I got a plus from a loss

Bill
Attached Images

admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulator View Post
Saturday's contest race (2/10) is a perfect example of learning from your mistakes.

I know the Hat says to never look back, but as far as I'm concerned you HAVE to try and learn from your mistakes. At least I do.

When I handicapped this race I thought the three would wire it and if he didn't the six would win. After looking at the race results and going back over the race, I had to ask myself some important questions:

1. Why on earth would I think the three would wire it?

2. Why did I adjust the two by only 1 3/5 seconds instead of 5 seconds. http://tinyurl.com/2ml5zc

3. Why did I think there was a lot of speed in this race and that the three was by far the fastest of the speed?

Now that I've looked back at this race in "hindsight," I realized that this is one of those races you can really learn something from. These are things I wouldn't have learned if I had just moved on and forgot about it.

There are only two legitimate early horses in this race--the one and the two. And the two is MUCH faster, so today he will get the lead.

So now I have to ask myself the question, can the two wire this field--Yes! Yes he can wire it. He had trouble getting the lead and holding it in his last race because of competition on the front end, but he still did the best he could and held onto a tough second. That shouldn't happen in this race. He should get the lead all alone.

The three is a PRESSER not a speed horse. So the three will most likely press again.

The six will be coming, but he probably won't be able to win because the early pace will be slower.

So after the fact I realize that the two will get the lead with the one and three (and perhaps others) pressing. This means the two will probably be able to set a leisurely pace and wire the field.

I have to look back and see where I went wrong if I went wrong. When I do that sometimes I say, "nope, I did everything right, but I still lost...that's the way it goes. But this time I can see where I screwed up, and I wouldn't have been able to figure that out if I hadn't of gone back and objectively looked.

Maybe when (and if) I ever reach the Hat's stature I can move on to the next race and just forget about it, but until that time comes I have to look and see where (and if) I went wrong.
It's all good Steve.
Richie
Old 02-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
emilio840
Grade 1

Turbulator

Hi Turbulator.

If you saw the race, you would have seen that the #3 ran a real bad race. Everytime he got whipped he would steer to the right. He ran most of that race GREEN. Maybe he just didn't feel like running. I don't think there are lessons to be learnt when a horse does not run his race. MAYBE THIS IS WHY WE SHOULD NOT LOOK BACK AND RE HCP THE RACE. IN THE NEAR FUTURE WHEN THESE 2 HORSES MEET AGAIN THE RESULT WILL PROBABLY BE DIFFERENT.

emilio
emilio840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I hope I am not sounding contradictive I know what Hat and Rich are doing has value
and I respect that they can do it I feel in my head its better for me to go back

I take bits of the Match Up and try to blend it with what I have read in the follow up for years
I am a big believer of going over races till I get it right
This is what Doc and I did when I went to work with him using Validator 2
Bill
You are 1000% RIGHT to contradict. You are BLENDING software with your matchup stuff. Also factoring in what Doc personally instructed YOU to do when working races together using SOFTWARE.

If however you are going to go back and repeatedly look at races lost when matching ONLY from the pp's and then rely ONLY on the pp's when going forward you are setting yourself up for ...... well let me just stop here man.

To each his own. It's all good.
Richie