Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS2 / FAQ's
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS2 / FAQ's Information, discussion, screenshots, videos about the upcoming version, FAQ's

Old 11-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
ac1bigdog
AlwNW1X

Trouble Running RDSS on Apple iPad/Mac

Hi. I'm a new member trying to download rdss2. I use ipad and don't have PC. I have loaded onlive, but it doesn't open. Onlive that is. I have cloud on with excel, word and PowerPoint. I still can't get ipad to download to these programs. I also have Dropbox. What program do I need? This is frustrating. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
ac1bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Alex,

Simply put, RDSS is a Windows application and requires Windows on a local computer or server computer to run (WinXP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win8, Windows Server 2008/2012).

Your iPad does not run Windows so RDSS will not run natively on an iPad. From what little I know of Onlive, it is not a platform to host Windows based software so you can access them via devices running iOS or Android, so it will not help you run RDSS on your iPad (unless I have really misunderstood Onlive capabilities). While it DOES provide access to Microsoft Office applications, it does not say that it provides access to a general Windows Desktop on which to install general Windows apps (like RDSS2).

You will need a computer which runs Windows, which can include a Mac running Windows. You can use your iPad to access RDSS on another computer using remote connection tools like TeamViewer, LogMeIn, etc.

Hope that helps!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-13-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: addendum
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
ac1bigdog
AlwNW1X

Thanks for the response but I am still not having any luck. I am not a tech person. I do have a mac with Apache Open Office. That allows you to open all sorts of documents and databases. What type of software is the install program for rdss2? Knowing that would probably help me to be able to get it to download. Thanks

Alex
Old 11-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

The RDSS installer is a Windows executable program (ends in extension .EXE) which in turn installs the RDSS software. Most likely iOS (on your iPad) or the Mac OS (on your Mac) will not download it because it cannot run it or do anything useful with it. As I mentioned, you cannot run RDSS (or its installer) on your Mac OS, or iPad OS. You need Windows to run RDSS.

What you CAN do, on your Mac, is use a Windows environment tool such as Parallels which enables you to run a full Windows operating system on your Mac (you also have to purchase a Windows license). Then you can download and install the RDSS installer in Windows running on your Mac. Several RDSS users do precisely that.

If you need more help going that direction, just make a follow up post here and hopefully some of those users will step up. Alas, I don't know anything about Mac but I can help once you have Windows running.

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-13-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
ac1bigdog
AlwNW1X

This is crazy.....ok, I have a trial version of Parallel. However, it is asking me for a windows operating system! I don't have a windows anything. So how is Parallel suppose to help me??? Im so stuck. Can anybody out there help me....
Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Alex,

Please - this is important: I ask that you kindly re-read BOTH of my replies to you above (and these replies, in a very prompt, courteous and timely manner prove that not only 'someone out there' is paying attention, but the guy who owns the website and wrote the program):

You need Windows to run RDSS. As I already mentioned above, if you want to run RDSS on a Mac computer, you need software like Parallels and a license to Windows to install within Parallels on your Mac. No Windows = no RDSS. You can purchase Windows 8 at your local computer store, and probably you can download it from Microsoft - just Google it.

That's just the way it is - I wrote RDSS using the Windows operating system, not the Mac OS, not iOS, not Android - Windows. There is no way around this. But, there is a way to make it work - many people do, as I mentioned.

If you are looking for handicapping software which runs natively on Mac OS, or iOS, there are probably some out there. But not RDSS.

When you have gotten a Windows Desktop running within Parallels on your Mac (or other Windows enabling environment for Mac) - if you need help getting RDSS running on that Windows platform, just let me know. I helped someone do this last week. I do Windows, but alas I don't do Mac.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now - a request to you folks out there who are happily using RDSS2 on your Macs, in Parallels, in Windows - could you please contact me privately if you are able to provide assistance to Alex or to others who might be trying to run RDSS in this type of environment. Or - feel free to jump in here, and thanks in advance!

yours,

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-13-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
ac1bigdog
AlwNW1X

Ted,

Thanks for the help. I finally understand. I wasn't aware that obtaining a windows license means purchasing windows. I also assumed that purchasing parallel would be giving me windows and the environment to use the apps. Your post does explicitly state those facts. As I mentioned, I'm not tech savvy. Respectfully, I think plain language would have worked. " hey Alex, if you don't have windows, you will have to BUY it to use in parallel".

I think sometimes when we are so used to a process or situation, we believe everyone understands what we are saying forgetting not everyone is at our same level of understanding or comprehension.

Thanks again for your timely responses to help me with the process.

Sincerely,
Alex
Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1bigdog View Post
I think sometimes when we are so used to a process or situation, we believe everyone understands what we are saying forgetting not everyone is at our same level of understanding or comprehension.
Alex, I can agree with that concept wholeheartedly! Sometimes it's hard to see things through the 'other guy's' eyes - but usually always worth while trying!

If I can help you further with this (in my limited realm of Mac non-expertise) just write.

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -