Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum > Welcome to the Sartin Methodology
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology New members: introduce yourselves! Ask about how to get started, get pointers in the right direction.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
KBROD
Grade 1

My First Post - suggestions?

Hi ted,my first post.happy to be here.been handicapping for many years,but i am interested in learning the sartin method. What would you suggest i tackle first here,in regards to books and or videos,software.i want to take it slow so i dont get overwhelmed.please send e-mail or check back here,ill take anyones thoughts on this.i will like to post some pics this weekend.so ill be checking in and out. Thanks
KBROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hi KBROD and welcome! I like your approach - go it slow. Despite rumours out there, racing will still be around in the next 6 months

The Sartin Library is a great resource. Take a leisurely read through the Follow Ups, beginning around, say, Issue 70 and going forward. Pay more attention to concept and psychology than the details of the screen readouts (which are now rather dated). But the concept is the important thing.

Along the lines of concept over details, read your way through a selection of many articles by an excellent handicapper who wrote under the name 'Capper, on various subjects related to the Methodology:
http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=65215

Armed with some of the foregoing, you could then tackle several of the RDSS videos to see how the concepts discussed in all those articles is embedded in modern software (http://www.sartinmethodology.com/rdssvideos).

Finally, if you're still with us after all that - consider giving the software a test drive using the Demo database (5000+ races there). After that - if your records show you've got the winner and place horse showing up often enough and you believe you're not tempted to bet the way the public wants to bet - consider giving it a live go and see if you've got something.

The trick is to absorb what you read and hear others say, including Doc Sartin, Jim Bradshaw and the others, and all the 'wise folks' here - then go ahead and make it your own. Don't do what the public does, do what your readouts and records tell you - don't bet unless you need to, unless you'll be paid well for your time.

I suspect you know most of this, just my opinions.

Most of all - ask questions, listen to the answers - and enjoy yourself!

Again, welcome!

Lots of luck, and skill!

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote