Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Seven Furlongs
Grade 1

Workouts - how do you evaluate them?

I opened this thread to ask how others utilise workouts. I've read various opinions on workouts, such as: that on the West Coast workout information is more reliable, that there should be a ratio of workouts to rest days if a horse is coming off a lay-off, that a horse does not need to workout if it has raced in less than 21 days, and that 5 furlong workouts are indicators of good form.

Also, I've read that workout information can be somewhat suspect as the workout rider may weigh more than the jockey who will ride the horse, that trainer x may choose to work out a horse at a leisurely pace while trainer y chooses to work out a horse at a vigorous pace.

How do you try and disentangle workout information and make it somewhat meaningful?

Currently, I use the 21 day rule mentioned above, that a horse has to have a workout if it has not raced in over 21 days, to determine fitness and I guage the speed of previous workouts at the same distance to see what kind of form the horse is holding.
Seven Furlongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Dr Win
horsiopedocapper

FAST WORKOUTS guidelines
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fast Workouts 1.pdf (56.5 KB, 709 views)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Seven Furlongs
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Win View Post
FAST WORKOUTS guidelines
Thanks for this.

I have a general question: Does the style/way a thoroughbred runs make it more or less pertinent for the trainer to work the horse hard for a workout?

For example, should a horse that typically runs early need to show a faster workout, something along the lines of say a 36 second 3f, a 48 second 4f etc., to show that it is in form?

Conversely, should the criteria of a workout be a bit more relaxed for a closer/late horse because its rate of deceleration is less so than the front running speedball? I mean a 4f workout is not enough space to demonstrate if a late running horse will have the ability to close.
Seven Furlongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Dr Win
horsiopedocapper

Problem is that workout cannot ever simulate race, period.
Workout is just workout, the drill.

No trainer or secretary or anyone else know before horses is enter in the race, probable pace of the race, even 10 min before race things is changing, Late scratches!!!

Then is really to late to train your horse for probable (pace) race.??!!

Trainer can instruct rider (who is sometimes duble of weight then regular jockey ??) to pressure horse (or to let him go) from 11/16 pole to 9/16 pole or from 5/8 to ˝ pole or so,..or from 5/16 to 9/16 (which is 2 furlongs on turn???) which can be in the beginning of work or end of the work. And to time him.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Race Track With Pole Markers.pdf (192.0 KB, 793 views)

Last edited by Dr Win; 11-16-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Dr Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
For The Lead
Grade 1

Non-essential information

For those who may not have seen SECRETARIAT (the movie), they made a big deal out of how to "work" Secretariat right before the Belmont. Lucien Lauren wanted to work Secretariat "really fast". He advised Penny (Chenery) Tweedy that if he did that and Secretariat lost, she would be told it was Lauren's fault for working Secretariat so fast. But Lauren KNEW the horse. He KNEW that Secretariat LOVED TO RUN. He thought a really fast workout was just what the horse needed. We all know the result of that decision. But the point is, each trainer has to work the horses in his charge the way he feels is best for the horse. We don't know what that is, so we can't really evaluate what is a good work and what is a bad work.

I pretty much get a horses "history" of workouts in my download files every day and I print my own racing forms.

There is not one workout to be found on my racing forms.

I leave taking care of the horses needs to the trainer, be it good or be it bad. He is much closer to the horse than I am and is certainly more aware of the horses needs than I am, so like it or not, I have to live or die with his decision. On that basis, why should I bother myself about it? I handicap the things I can and leave the things I know nothing about to those who do know....or should know!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
froggy
Grade 1

Unusual Hottie in the 2nd at Hollywood today had a great workout pattern. Two 5f and three 6f in 30 days.
Something like that is worth a win bet.

Froggy
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Dr Win
horsiopedocapper

first time out Unusual Hottie results
Attached Images

Last edited by Dr Win; 11-18-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Dr Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

FTS - Workout Form Patterns, a steady 5 - 7 day uninterrupted interval over at least 28 days (HWL=Heavy Work Load), 5 and 6f works, recent SR > 90 = ready

Not a very well kept secret, though!

Name:  hol1117-2#8-FTSworks.png
Views: 456
Size:  60.4 KB

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
gl45
Grade 1

Ted,
where did you get all these goodies. That is why I can't make money anymore.
gl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Pino,

This has been in RDSS for a few years, not prominantly though. As you likely observe, some of it derives from Taulbot and various others. This will be cleaned up, simplified and explained better by the RDSS2 final.

I find it most useful for making some assessments of FTS, or long laid off horses with sufficient back ability to compete today IF they could duplicate not even their best performances.

Though, from what I hear, you're making money just fine...!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote