Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum > Welcome to the Sartin Methodology
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology New members: introduce yourselves! Ask about how to get started, get pointers in the right direction.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #21
BJennet
Grade 1

Try 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Brown View Post
They did not win at 70% when I came along in 1990. I never talked to one guy I knew or at a Sarton seminar they really claimed %70 win rate on 2 horses. I talked to a lot that claimed %60 in 20 bet sequences but not on going. "Hat" was the only guy that could do that in my opinion.
CC Brown,

This is my win rate for Sartin top two at BEL and HOL since they opened. Of course the mutuels are correspondingly low, but that's true for any high win rate, proving that win rate isn't what matters - ROI is. You seem unaware that the current Sartin software, Spec 160/RDSS is superior to what Sartinites were using in 1990 - almost twenty years ago.

Cheers,

B Jennet
BJennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #22
Tim Y
turf historian

Found the same thing to be true and did a bit of research on just WHERE the sheets and Thorograph sell their wares. Want to know?

ALL THE BIG TIME COURSES where bigger crowds want the passive experience of horse race gambling.

What to do? GO WHERE THEY AIN'T: to the little venues where mom and pop barns run for groups of housewives and weekend warriors of turf speculation.

RESULT? Mutuels like Woodbine, Northlands, Emerald, Fort Erie, etc.

LONG ago I learned one important thing: GO WHERE THE COMPETITION does NOT GO.

Why play the Red Sox when you can play the Pittsburg Pirates.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #23
matthewsiv
Maiden

Cool

Please can you give me access to your library.
matthewsiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #24
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsiv View Post
Please can you give me access to your library.
Check your PM Matthew
Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #25
Honeoye
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
You will do well with the Sartin Methodology If you visit the
Pace and Cap library and read the yellow manual, the Dynamics
of Energy and the POW I know there are lots of other manuals
and audio files in there but I feel its bets to start with the basics
first Audio files and videos are for a little later.

You will need to use a Sartin Methodology program
I suggest you start out with either Spec 160 or RDSS
but that is up to you I teach best with RDSS

Reading these manuals will get you a good base
After that. Then you should read follow ups 70 -88
You will now be learning what Howard Sartin considered vital
for todays racing

Bill V.
Please send me a link to the library, so I can read the yellow manual.
Thanks
Honeoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #26
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeoye View Post
Please send me a link to the library, so I can read the yellow manual.
Thanks
Please check your Private Messages.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #27
tjobert
Maiden

Please send a link to the library.

Thanks
tjobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #28
wigopher
AlwNW1X

Hi all! I have been studying the Yellow Manual now for quite some time. Trying to fit it in with a newborn is pretty tough!

I am curious to how one should apply the Yellow Manual's teachings. Is it great to use it for pace-line selection? Read the Follow ups and begin using RDSS?

Or would one be better off using the teachings of Doc Sartin to create a read out by hand until you reach the 63% win proficiency? To understand the numbers behind RDSS?

I look forward to your replies! Thanks!!!

-Garrison
wigopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #29
wigopher
AlwNW1X

Yellow Manual and Next Steps

I have been studying the Yellow Manual for awhile. It has taken me almost 9 months...I have been busy raising a future 'capper!

I have used RDSS with varying degrees of success. Now that I am understanding the tenets of the Yellow Manual, should I use the method prescribed in the manual until I hit a 63% Win Rate? Or do I move onto other materials referenced in this post and use RDSS for this win rate?

I look forward to your comments! Thanks!

-Garrison
wigopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #30
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Garrison,

Congratulations on your future little handicapper, but apologies for the month long delay getting this post of yours published. I think this Forum got hidden for a while and posts were moderated, and I regret that I didn't see it in the Admin section to 'approve' your post. Anyway, posts here are no longer moderated in advance, so all future replies should go straight through to the board.

Meanwhile, your question - I would suggest not worrying about trying to achieve a 63% win rate win-betting 2 horses. It's all about the average mutuel. If you hit less than 63% but restrict yourself to wager opportunities where your net mutuel is high enough that your hit rate still produces a positive return, without causing you undue anxiety over your number of losses in a row - then I would consider that an approach worth pursuing.

For example, if you have a 40% hit rate on Win bets, betting 2 horses per race (or 2 bets per race, including Win and Place on the same or multiple horses), you will be betting into a range of net odds and a range of mutuel payouts. You need to keep your eye on the minimum net odds your current hit rate can sustain to break even. If you win 4 and lose 6 out of 10 bets in the Win pool (40%) and you only make bets when your close-to-post-time odds are each a minimum of 4-1 ($10.00 mutuel), you bet, say, $10 per race ($5 on each) or $100 and win 4 hits x 2.5 tickets x $10.00 = $100 - you break even. Breakeven is a good place to start, while gaining consistency and fluency in a methodology. Of course, every race you enter at 4-1 minimum will have varied components: 8-1 and 4-1, 7/2 (slipped at post-time) and 6-1, etc, etc. And you have the option of dutching your amount bet according to odds (e.g. 60% 40% low odds/high odds) or even a hedging strategy (bet enough to break-even on a lower odds horse, hoping for an actual hit with more money bet on a higher odds horse).

If your hit rate increases to 50% (10 races out of a 20 race cycle - a very reasonable target betting multiple horses or pools per race), your minimum net odds per race drops to 3-1 ($8.00 mutuel) to achieve a breakeven. Etc, etc

Perhaps 63% hit rate is achievable regularly (12.5 hits out of each 20 wagers) but I would advise not worrying about that. Do keep records (post them here, or email them to me) about your cycles of wagers and shoot for breakeven and an aggessive hit rate - say 50% betting 2 propositions per race (e.g. 2 horses to win, or 1 or more horses to win & place). The modern software tools such as RDSS, and a judicious ability to pass races, or to plunge into races with murky appearing matchups (e.g. maiden claimers, shippers = more public confusion and longer prices, or, study some tracks and distances where recent mutuels have been consistently high), together with records, records, records will help give you the confidence to make bets with the expectation of coming out ahead, regularly. Then you can consider advancing to Exotic wagers such as Exacta, Trifecta or serial bets (doubles, Pick 3s, 4s) - those will be easy with a good foundation in Win Pool betting. Of course there are myriad wagering strategies to employ depending on how the pools size-up: a top ranked favourite can be wheeled in an Exacta or Trifecta, etc, etc and there are many betting references available as you moved forward.

I recommend the 55% Solution Manual to Exotic wagering in the Sartin Library.

In summary, consider moving forward with the modern tools you have at your disposal (e.g. RDSS) rather than trying to only emulate the advice from the Yellow Manual, timeless (and sometimes baffling) as it is.

Hope this helps, and I hope that the good advice from the posts in this Welcome Forum provide further food for study.

Let us know how it's going, and who the li'l Capper likes in the Derby this year!

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote