Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
lsosa54
Grade 1

Bread & Butter Race

These are the ones that don't take a long time to handicap but they present great betting opportunities and help keep you in the black. I think it took me about 5 mins. to cap this.

This is a G3 6.5f poly sprint for older horses. The avg. winner of this race puts up a BRIS speed fig of 101.

In looking at the field, I eliminate the #3 and #8 as not being fast enough on the poly to compete here. The #3 just ran a 99 but in a turf mile, a completely different animal.

The 5 horses left have all come close to running the par speed fig. The #5 won a G2 race @ 7f as a 3yo and the #7 has shown in 2 G1 races, one as a 4yo and one as a 5yo, again at 7f. I consider 7f to be a pretty specialized distance.

Pacelines used: Last race on the #'s 2,4,7, the 6f tandem. 3 back on the #6. For the #5, I decided to use his last, as going back to that 98 as a 2 yo was a bit too far for me. This horse must have some soundness issues as he hasn't run much as a 2 through 4 yo.

Equalize distances with no adjustments needed as total energies are within range.

6.5 f @ SAX is winning off the SP screen so I look at that first. I see Mona on the wire, with Hallelujah & Free trailing. The EXDC shows Hallelujah just nosing out Mona & Free.

I wasn't 100% comfortable that Hallelujah might not hold on and that Mona would get up in time. I was getting 10-1 on Mona and 8-1 on hallelujah, with Free @ 7/2. I decided to bet Mona and Hallelujah to win and put them both on top of Free in the exacta. I then reversed the exacta with Free on top. As you'll notice, I added the #6 on top in the exacta. I will confess a paranoia of sorts with both Mike Mitchell and Jeff Mullins on this circuit. I did not like the favorite Alpha, esp. at 5/2, at all.

Hallelujah had the lead through the stretch, gave it up, and Mona got up by a hd to pay $22.20 for every $2. Free held place over the favorite and the 2-7 exacta paid $54.10 for every buck.

Here's my NJBETS record for the race. I xxxx the amounts as I'd rather not post them in public forums for obvious reasons:

Date Type Description (Win/Lose) Location Debit Credit
04/04/2010 Bet Race 8 SANTA ANIT $xxxx Exacta 2,4/ 7 NET $xxxx $xxxx
04/04/2010 Bet Race 8 SANTA ANIT $xxxx Exacta 6,7/ 2,4 NET $xxxx
04/04/2010 Bet Race 8 SANTA ANIT $xxxx Win 2,4 NET $xxxx $xxxx

There wasn't much uncertainty in the paceline selections here and this is a race where a nice profit could be had with only 5 contenders and literally 5 mins. of capping. These occur more often than you think.

Hope this is useful. Good capping to all.

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf sax040408.pdf (107.0 KB, 440 views)
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote