Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Modeling Sheets problem

When setting up my sheets for different distances, only the first distance has the Master Template headings, all the rest are blank. Apparently I'm missing a step in copying and pasting. I'm using Open Office and don't know if that is what the problem may be or not. I right click on the Master Template tab and choose copy, however there is no box to check "Create Copy". Could be the problem, I guess, as copy and paste doesn't work.

Just as when using the Paste Special tab, there is no "values" tab to click on but must use "all" as all other tabs are greyed out. Everything imports just fine and looks great. I just can't seem to figure out what step I'm missing to bring the template headings along for the ride. I'm already missing my hair, teeth, nads and memory, so what's new eh??

Best of Luck to ALL.
John
Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
barb craven
Grade 1

John, when you right click on the master tab do you see `move or copy`. Click on that and in the dialogue that comes up,there should be check box in the bottom left hand corner that says create a copy. If you do, check that and that will give you your new tab which you then can rename. It will have all the headings on it. I was doing it wrong too. Couldn`t figure it out until I reread Ted`s Release notes, right at the bottom of `What`s Provided`.

I hope this will do it for you.

Barb
Old 07-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

John, thanks for the heads up re the slightly different Paste Special settings in OpenOffice (which is an open-source/free workalike to MS Excel)!

If you don't have a 'create duplicate' menu item in OO, you can just highlight the entire worksheet with Ctrl-A, copy it with Ctrl-C, switch to your newly created worksheet, then Paste with Ctrl-V. All Headers and formulas should copy fine. Rename worksheet Tabs, repeat as needed...

For Excel users, Barb's advice using the built-in Excel duplicate tools works great!

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Thanks so much Barb for trying to help me out, I kept reading that over and over but to no avail, and now we know why it wouldn't work.

Ted, all went well, and I had a my sheets recreated, and then I posted an entry. All the data went in perfectly, but it looked not quite right. Each sheet for each distance had lost the Vertical line and all the formulas.

I'll scrap it and do another later, I need a nap, too many hours, too many sheets, too many, I say, LOL

Thanks for coming to my rescue.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

John,

The 'vertical line' is (I think) simply the splitbar, which is a bar (at least in Excel) which you can position anywhere to be able to scroll different (perhaps remote) parts of the sheet. In Excel, it's found initially along the right hand edge of the screen, and you can grab it and drag it anywhere you want. It's probably still there.

Re missing formulas: is it possible you forgot to highlight that part of the sheet when you copied and pasted the initial sheet into your newly created worksheet Tabs? No matter - you can just copy those formula rows again from the initial worksheet and paste them into your other tabs (at least you can in Excel, so it should also work in OO).

Let us know!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Ted, just to let you know the formulas were not missing after all. The split bar is gone, but I can live with that. I checked to see if it was stuck on the end or anywhere else, but not around. Thanks for all your help. Nice added tool for everyone.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Ted Craven
Grade 1

OK John, thanks for the clarification. I hear you saying that OpenOffice (spreadsheet) has no vertical splitbar, like Excel does. Does it have a horizontal splitbar.

If you (or anyone else using OO) could post a screenshot of the blank MasterTemplate.xls, that would be cool.

Ted

R
DSS -