Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

** RDSS Update --> V 0.99.2

There is an unfortunate bug in the recent versions of RDSS (those released in 2010), including the one I just released: Version 0.99.1 and must be updated to Version 0.99.2 to work on 2011 cards.

When I went to check the new PRX (Philadelphia) card for January 1, 2011, although I was able to successfully Download and Convert it - I discovered that the software does not work on any 2011 cards (including the other published one, Portland Meadows for Jan 3, 2011). When you open that 2011 dated card, you get a message saying the software has expired on Dec 31, 2010.

This is an old, old (in 2010) bit of code I put in only for testing at one point (February?) and neglected to remove, with the consequence that all 2010 cards have worked so far, but no 2011 cards will work. I am very sorry about this bug.

This note is just a heads up to let you all know about it, and to let you know that I have fixed it and have released a temporary update patch to the software (please see post #2 below).

Just in passing, aside from visiting family at Christmas, this Holiday Season has not been exactly merry for me...my main development computer has been crashing regularly for the past 2 weeks (though everything was backed up many different ways), and finally died yesterday, along with my email system. I moved my work over to another computer which has most, but not all, RDSS software development and business stuff up and running (though email, install package maker, RDSS user account info are still inaccessible) and it looks like some mail from my temporary online email account is not getting through to people or is being filtered into people's SPAM folders.

If you wrote me an email in the past week, or signed up for RDSS, or registered at PaceandCap and sent an email to me or to the website and have not yet received a reply - I did write you back, but perhaps check in your SPAM folder...

For the time being, instead of email, perhaps the best way to communicate with me is here on PaceandCap via Private Message, or in a public forum, if you wish.

I am working on getting the above mentioned update ready today, though it may initially have to be delivered in a ZIP file instead of a familiar Install Package.

Again, I apologize for my mistake in the 2010 software expiry bug and am very sorry for any inconvenience it will cause to get it updated on your computers.

Please stay tuned.

Ted

P.S. On a happier note, while waiting to defrag a hard drive, I did catch that $66 horse in the 2nd at TP yesterday Nice post-Xmas gift.

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 12-31-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added info about update patch
Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I have published a temporary patch to RDSS in the RDSS Download Area here (for registered RDSS users). Please read post #1 above for an explanation of the problem.

www.PaceandCap.com/rdssdownload

Download the ZIP file mentioned on the Download page and copy the updated file inside the ZIP into your RDSS folder. This results in Version 0.99.2, which can indeed process 2011 cards (i.e. PRX and PM available as of today).

If you are already running V 0.99.1, you don't need to install that whole package again, just the ZIP file patch update. If you have not yet updated to V 0.99.1, please download and install that first, then apply the V0.99.2 patch.

Unfortunately, due to computer problems, I cannot create a proper Install Package just at the moment. When I can, I will simply publish a Version 0.99.2 update and there won't be any bother with the temporary ZIP patch.

If you feel uncomfortable working with ZIP files, feel free to post your questions here. Most Windows versions treat compressed ZIP files just like Folders, and you should be able to copy files from ZIPs just like copying between any other folders using your Windows Explorer to work with files.

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 12-29-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
RichieP
Grade 1

Worked like a charm Ted. Looking at Parx 2nd race now for 1/1

all good
Old 12-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Thanks Rich! If anyone is having any problems updating their software to Version 0.99.2 or working with 2011 race cards, please post it here and we'll get you going.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 12-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
seattlesnake
Grade 1

Thnks for the heads up Ted

Thanks again Ted...
I renamed the oldfile RDSSold.pbd... that should not cause any issues i hope...

Jess
Old 12-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlesnake View Post
Thanks again Ted...
I renamed the oldfile RDSSold.pbd... that should not cause any issues i hope...

Jess
Jess, No that will not be a problem. After you've determined that everything is working normally for you with the update, you could delete that old file, just for good housekeeping.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Chazz
Chazz

Problem with installing zip file

Hi Ted,
I screwed something up trying to install this zip file. Now I can't even open
rdss.
Here's what I get when I try to open rdss

System Error

error #2
error text=null object reference at line 7 in pfc_postopen event of object
w_rdss_frame.
windows/menu/object=w_rdss_frame.
error object/control=w_rdss_frame.
script=pfc_postopen.
line in script=7

Chazz
Old 12-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Chazz,

Is it possible that you deleted or renamed your RDSS.INI (Configuration type) file. The error seems to indicate that (specifically, trouble connecting to your RDSS database, which info is found within your RDSS.INI file)?

If you don't have that file any longer, you need to download and install the full V0.99.1 install package (which will reinstate a missing RDSS.INI file).

If the above seems to be not the issue, check your files on the RDSS folder. You need to have the current update file: RDSS.PBD with today's datestamp on it (i.e. indicating today's update), and you also need to have a RDSS.INI file. All other PBD type files will have earlier dates, and the executable file (RDSS.EXE) will also have an earlier date.

Let me know if that helps. Within a day, I hope I can have a full Install Package for this Version 0.99.2, so you won't have to muck with copying anything from the ZIP file.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 12-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Chazz
Chazz

Ted,

I reinstalled rdss and it is working OK. so I will wait on trying to install the zip file and
install the full version 0.99.2 when you have it ready.
Thanks for your help.

Chazz
Old 12-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Just a progress report on getting the full Install Package created for Version 0.99.2:

Initially just my one, main computer crashed (and is now having its hard drive replaced and everything reinstalled, next week). Then, my older replacement computer also crashed, though I have resurrected it twice, but have not yet been able to reinstall my InstallShield install package maker. I will be working further on that today, right after (hopefully) finally getting MS Office and my email database reinstalled on this backup computer so I can send and receive emails properly. Probably more than you wanted to know...

I will send all registered RDSS users an email when I get my email working again, and continue to post progress here - especially, advise when the proper install package is available for those of you who have trouble copying from the ZIP file.

The short story is, you all will have to update RDSS to V 0.99.2 by simply downloading and copying from the ZIP file described above, and found in the RDSS Download Forum.

I do sincerely apologize for the problem this causes - this is not my preferred way of starting the New Year . But I do thank all of you for the notes you have emailed to me, and for your support and stories of success using RDSS and the Methodology over 2010.

Very best wishes to everyone - it is shaping up to be an exciting and eventful time!

best,

Ted

R
DSS -