Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

RDSS Online Group - Live Play

OK, here's a thread to figure out the optimal way to do a multi-party Skype group, sharing voice and screens (do we need video, don't think so, plus it eats bandwidth and I'd have to brush my hair ;-)

I have a Skype Premium subscription. I understand I can connect 10 different Skype accounts at the same time - just add them to a Contact Group. I have a Contact Group named Sartin Methodology.

When I happen to be online in Skype (which is only when I need to, not by default) I can connect 9 others to the same audio and screen discussion. Just the same as we can using TeamViewer only with fewer presentation controls and fewer people (15 using TeamViewer).

When I am not online in Skype, how do people connect to the Skype Group? Do I need to have a separate Skype account, with Premium subscription (for multi-party screen/voice sharing), for example loaded and always running on an unattended server (I have one)? I can't always have Skype going and always be part of a Skype group discussion.

And Chat (SMS) - what is the purpose of doing this via Skype - isn't that just what the P&C bulletin board is?

These are some of the logistics I don't yet understand of using a Skype Group to facilitate group live play. Anyone who has done this before, or understands this better, please feel free to share ideas here.

Right now, 1:15pm Eastern, I am online Skype and happy to talk this through with anyone. Also do some live play of perhaps Philly or Beulah?

My Skype ID is ted.craven (Huntsville, Ontario, Canada)

I suspect TeamViewer (free) is a better tool for doing live play, sharing screens and audio, and perhaps we could run some tests of that soon too (not today though, for me).

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 12-17-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Awesome Ted, and for TeamViewer that is what you use to hook up with us and have the freedom to use each other's computer's is it not? We were talking about how to do that just a few days ago, and wanted to talk to you about it, but getting you is difficult, so I will use others to ask you,( as your time is filled with many more important things than me), as Skype goes I am a member of 2 HSH groups, and 1 is for live play, and the other more for HSH stuff, but both are "Type Only" format's, and yes it could be done in a forum, only thing is no one wishes to. Which is sad kinda, playing live races ffor me anyway is always a way for the other guy to shine and show what he has done and how he/she has done it. And it gives you a chance to see if you are close to what they are doing, or even weirder, you both have the same horse but took way different paths to get there, that is always a natural learning experience.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA9...irstPage=false

I got that from Skype support in forming Groups, right now I am a registered user of Skype, same name as here, andd talk now to others but talking only to one at a time, yet able to type to many others also. I am unaware of what the true capabilities of Skype are, but heard many people can talk in a group call, as I have had 4 people once, but I was added in from the other end, sorry.

As for the forum being able to do Live Play, sure it could, but limited to typing only, which works too. Now one thing I learned about Live Play, it is best to handicap the night before and be ready to bet when it comes around, as sometimes we get carried away and miss post times and such, as we watch the odds and go back and forth, as most people live playing do watch for odds to decide whether to pass or not. This is very good way to learn how to pass, by passing with others and seeing it is okay to watch and say I would have had it, but it did not pay enough for me, always sweet when done when others to see it too. I know it sounds crazy, but it works that way, kinda like Doc's might say, Group Therapy session's work best , becaause it is harder to fool many than it is to fool one, or something nutty like that.

I am getting off on a tangent, that the right word ? I think any of these venues would help us, IF ONLY WE USED THEM AND PARTICIPATED , that is the only way to prove what you do and also do it in an enviroment other than a contest, so you get choose what races to play and handicap, also a great learning experience, seeing what others plays and why, instead of like on PA contest's you play what they tell you, tougher , yeah maybe, but always great for learning what not to play, lol

Okay more later

Patrick

Last edited by pktruckdriver; 12-17-2012 at 02:39 PM.
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Funny stuff Ted.
I would be into live play, but i don't see the advantage of using Skype. If you have to type in Skype, you might as well just post in the selections section with screenshots and your opinion, or am i missing something?

Maybe set-up a date in advance and anyone can join in if they are into it. I'm taking a few weeks off but i would be interested in doing this in the new year.
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hoof,

I was kind of hoping someone or several would join me on Skype over the past 2 hours to test this concept, prove or disprove the efficiency of that tool as group sharing medium (voice and screen). But alas, I must sign off now and focus on a the finishing touches of this RDSS udpate.

I thought to try Skype as probably many more people use Skype than TeamViewer, though TV is a snap to download and install and it does provide more tools for control and moderation. Both provide the means to share live computer screens and share audio and video and text, but I don't know of any way to 'moderate' Skype sessions (mute audio, take control of another computer, hand off control to another session member and exit the session), whereas TV does all these and a lot more.

I've done lots of multi-party TV sessions, but no multi-party Skype sessions which is why I wanted to try, to compare.

FWIW, I will hold an open Live Skype session tomorrow (Tuesday Dec 18) at 1pm Eastern for about an hour. Anyone who wants to join then, just Skype me: ted.craven and I'll add you to the group. We can rotate showing our RDSS screens and process for working some races. We can work whatever is running then.

Then another day, we can do a trial of a multi-party TeamViewer live session, perhaps an evening. To prepare for this, folks could download and install TeamViewer 8 (www.teamviewer.com). It will be a test for me to work out logistical issues for January's online live RDSS clinics (including recording the session on a separate computer for posting here).

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Patrick,

Thanks for that Skype FAQ link - I had seen those instructions for setting up a Skype Group, and it seems normal - I have half a dozen folks in a group and could invite them all, if they were online ...

Anyway, perhaps a good test of the group Skype platform meeting facilities would be to try it tomorrow (my suggested 1pm time above). Let's see what the pros and cons are. Like Hoof mentioned, I can't see the benefits of only using text. It will be dynamite to have live screens, live audio, folks can join and leave as they will, and to have it recorded for replay by others. That's what I am shooting for (though as I mentioned, perhaps with TeamViewer). That will be a great learning resource.

Are you available tomorrow at 1pm to try this further, hopefully with a group of us? I hope so, as you have some experience here.

As for your comment earlier that I seem hard to get a hold of - that's news to me, FWIW. Every time someone calls me I pick up the phone, and when they email or PM, I do my best to get back ASAP, especially if the issue is time sensitive.

Call or write me any time! Have folks in your HSH Skype groups call or write any time (Dave does, from time to time).

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Sounds good, i'm free tomorrow so i can test this out with you. I have a Skype account but only on my iPhone, i will install it on my computer tonight. I have TeamViewer already so i'm good to go.

Tuesday at 1 pm it is.
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

I workout each day, from 11:30 am , but will definetly finish by 1245, instead of 130, and will join in too.

Now for all the stuff you want to do , TeamViewer may be the way to go, as we have had minor issues in the HSH group, nothing serious, just slow posting updates of previous posts when you signed out, and sometimes with current posts being slow to also, but for the most part it works great.

As for having all of us talking at once, this I've only did thru GOTOMEETING.com.

Agreed , when I really need you , you have been there, just never mind, see ya 1pm EST, right?

patrick
Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Okay my 1st 3 picks are at PRX and in my selection's for a 20 race dec cycle.

This is because the postimes are before 1pm, if any one is iterested.

patrick
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Folks,

Running just a little behind - setting up to record this experiment from a separate computer than the one running RDSS, so to get smoothest experience

Should be back up in 10 minutes (~1:15pm EST). Call my Skype ID: ted.craven and we'll gather up to 9 of us and see how this works for group activity.

(I suspect we'll have to establish some 'talking' rules if 9 separate people are in the 'room' at once )

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

OK, that was a short but sweet failure, using Skype. We had 5 people in a conference with audio and screen sharing. Connection cut out almost immediately and repeatedly. My early diagnosis = Skype is not best Live Conference facility for what we want to do.

Rescheduled this for tomorrow Wednesday December 19 at 1pm using TeamViewer (www.teamviewer.com) - free software. Download it, install it - I will publish a Meeting ID here tomorrow for folks to join. We can do audio via TeamViewer as well. I will put up a few screenshots here to help instruct new users how to do that.

Ted

R
DSS -