Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Breeders' Cup > 2011
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

2011 Discussion and Selections

Old 11-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Exclamation Bad RDSS Race Data for several Euro Horses

As has been mentioned by Bill Lyster in this thread (http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7855), incorrect race-related data appears for several horses in several races. This is the fault of RDSS and not of TrackMaster.

The short answer is: there is no way to correct this data this year, and RDSS (both V 0.99.2 and V2.0 Beta) will show this incorrect data. To at least get correct Past Performance data for these races, please refer to the free PDF PPs provided by Equibase, here:

http://www.equibase.com/breederscuplanding.cfm

Following is a more detailed account, duplicated from the above noted thread started by Bill Lyster.

-----

As noted much of the race info for Euro horses on Arc day (and perhaps a few other days) are wrong, and this is not TrackMaster's fault (per se) but the fault of RDSS. Here's why (FWIW):

TrackMaster does not supply a Race ID # for each race to individually identify a race (e.g. Santa Anita Nov 3 Race 1 = ID# 12345678). So RDSS makes up an ID# for its internal database the first time it encounters that race, for future retrieval - an ID# based on Date, Track, Race # since those are all unique (i.e. there are not multiple Race #2's on any given day, given track). It then uses that internal race ID to retrieve the race-related data to compose PPs (same for horse IDs, jockey IDs, Trainer IDs, paceline IDs, etc) - that's how a relational database works.

However, data supplied for many (all?) of these bad races for these Euro horses are missing the Race# info (or they are specified as Race 0), so RDSS dutifully (and incorrectly) files the first encountered Race 0 on any day with the distance, surface final time, field size, etc info for that race - which will be correct for the first horse encountered (since all that info from TrackMaster is presumably correct) - but will not necessarily be correct for subsequent horses who raced on the same day, same track - but also apparently (though incorrectly) in Race 0. Of course they may have raced in different races, different distances, different final times, different other race info - but when I don't have a Race #, or a unique race ID - currently RDSS does not know how to differentiate those different races on the same day.

I am not saying it is Trackmaster's (Equibase's) fault - possibly they likely don't get the race # info to publish. But I would have to use other means to distinguish between different races (in the absence of a unique Race #) - namely a combination of final time, field size, race description - in order to come up with an internal Race ID#. And there is no way I can do this for this year's Breeders' Cup races. I am very sorry!

I will certainly study it further (as I have done over the past day) to come up with a good method to work around this for future Euro horses (and the particular problem when so many of them are coming from races on the same day - e.g. Arc day at Longchamps) - for the next release of RDSS 2.0 Beta. And I will bring this to TrackMaster's attention to see if we can get foreign Race #s in the data files.

RDSS will not do a very good job of analysing races where the horses don't have internal fractions in their pacelines. But at least you can view the correct Past Performances for these horses by using the free PPs provided by Equibase, here:

http://www.equibase.com/breederscuplanding.cfm

Very sorry about this problem . I am also checking now to see what happened in previous years BC races for Euros.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Thanks but not sure, does this mean that any race with Euor's running we skip it using RDSS, what does that leave us to play, do we know.

Also I been on the road lately , has there been an update to the beta version since Saratoga, would love to get those lines I saw showing the moves within the pacelines, that was stunnilingly (that a word) beautiful , showing power moves and such with the color that makes RDSS so refreshing to use, just asking.

It looks like I plan to possible stop and play in Presque Ilse Downs, Eria, Pa on Saturday, stop by and lunch on me, gotta run a 1000 miles to drive till Saturday.

God bless all, best of luck this weekend
patrick
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Patrick,

Not all Euro horses' PPs are incorrect. Please refer to some of Bill Lyster's posts in this BC Forum to see some of the incorrect info he has identified, or you can do it yourself for any Euro horse entered in a race - just bring up the PPs for that race and horse from the Equibase link provided and double check if (usually) the last line is the correct distance and final time.

If you are not making betting decisions in such races based on raw time and running line info only (i.e. you rely on velocities and the normal Sartin Methodology compounded ratings to analyse these races) - then you will likely be skipping races with very many well regarded foreign horses, and inaccuracies in their RDSS PPs will not be so relevant to you. But if you do want to make such judgements, then update the incorrect RDSS info (again, usually for the last race only, and see Bill Lyster's compilations) and have at it, and best wishes!

I have not yet released the 2nd RDSS 2.0 Beta. You're in the Testing group, so you'll get the notice along with everyone when it is ready. Still working on a bunch of things (and now, one more thing ... )

Stay safe on the road - good luck in your wagering while at PID!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-03-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote