Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Latekick
Grade 1

Good to be back

I need a job that allows me to handicap and be around racing every single day of my life
Latekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I can relate to that cry! I think I must have have said it at heart over and over again for 25+ years from the late '80s - sometimes meaning it more, sometimes less. After all those years, it gradually happened - my paying job is to be around handicapping and horse-racing and its people all the time!

Time is a funny thing - sometimes it passes so slowly, sometimes too quickly (just ask Smarty Jones trying to hold off Birdstone for a 2004 Triple Crown ...). But always a component of the passing of time - is NOW.

Can you say why you feel the need at this point in your life to be around racing and to work races every day? Is it that you seek financial security? Do you love the challenge of solving a highly complex puzzle, or the satisfaction of being able to do something few others can do (make money betting horses)?

Are you seeking refuge (or 'greener pastures') from an unsatisfactory former work situation, or accumulated debt?

Just playing with scenarios here, not presuming that anything in particular is your actual story. It always captivates me to compare my story with that of others! I guess that's why I ask

One thing I am absolutely sure about - whatever you say is true about yourself NOW - is your current reality. If you see yourself as 'not worthy' to command the knowledge and finesse in handicapping/wagering which perhaps you think you observe in some posters here (or in our illustrious Methodology forebears) - that is your reality NOW.

If you hold that while perhaps temporarily out of your grasp (i.e. beyond your accumulated knowledge, so far) - a profitable approach to analysis and wagering, and a thrill from watching horses compete and your opinions about them be validated frequently - is something you KNOW you can and DESERVE to be able to do - then all the 'cursed details' standing between where you are now and that imagined future will surely sort themselves out, step by step, as you persistently aim and take direction toward the goal you live in your imagination for yourself NOW, day by day. (Don't professional bettors, or concert pianists, or brain surgeons - see themselves TODAY and every NOW as successful at what they do ALREADY, not just in at some fuzzy future maybe-one-day mental scenario?)

I really believe this is how change happens for a person. The effect of what you BELIEVE to be possible is what makes ANYTHING possible.

How much money do you need? To support yourself, your family, pay off debts? Will a $10 an hour at Taco Bell , or as a security guard () do the job, BUT give you the free time to pursue your dreams? If you already have a Masters degree and utilize it (or under-utilize it, or hate that job), do you then have 20 hours a week which you now don't have to spend on getting that Masters to instead spend on getting a Masters in horse racing investment?

Just random thoughts! I do hope you are eventually able to find a job which gives you sufficient security, and sufficient free time to work on your dreams. And THEN, that you find the bravery to respond to the challenge to accumulate the knowledge and experience to gradually apply that to horse racing - likely as a significant, perhaps profitable hobby, but perhaps as a passionately held and even profitable livelihood.

Realistically, very few people should rely on horse race betting for their livelihood, but the sweetness of life has to come from somewhere, and what finer endeavour is there than this game to practice self-improvement, self-discipline, helping others, feeling excitement and motivation - feeling ALIVE, I guess!

End of rant (Probably another one brewing ...)

All good things!

yours,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
ignacio todoberto bernal
Grade 1

Send a message via Yahoo to ignacio todoberto bernal
Boss...! You'r getting better with age and life!

Salutations to you....

Yours truly ignacio....
ignacio todoberto bernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
barb craven
Grade 1

I can't let that go, you speak the truth my son. Well said. Bravo!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Ted, great post...the key words here are "after all those years, it gradually happened"
same for me....working jobs and staying close to racing along with focusing on my goal of being a "pro" at this tough endeavor. Years go by quickly, keeping working at it, keep records, and as "DOC" used to say...practice, practice, practice. My time came when I retired in 2010 and started with RDSS. If there is one important thing that I can pass along to everyone...it is this. While those years are passing by and you are working toward your goal...KEEP BUILDING A BANKROLL. SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. Don't spend that money on anything. The large bankroll is what keeps you in business..and it is a business, if you will treat it as such. Good skills to all on the upcoming Belmont day....
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
wilbur porter
AlwNW3X

Great post, Ted. One of the things I like most about Rdss and "Pace and Cap" is that you apply psychological and humanistic constructions to handicapping techniques. There is an element of self growth that occurs with handicapping, a sense of self discovery. It seems to me that to win consistently at handicapping, there has to be a transformation not only of one's handicapping skills, but of one's inner attitude as well. So much depends on "THOUGHT!"
Old 05-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
Bill V.
The egg man

Proud

Security is a big industry here in the USA since 911

I applaud Akinssr Bravo to you too,
Doc told me face to face in his office to do other things besides horse racing.
Don't dwell on it but to work hard and keep records and try to win! Not impress people.
Live a full happy life and love and believe in YOU the man in the mirror

I am very proud to be in the security field. The building I watch part time
and the people I protect give me great pride.

I am a professional handicapper and a part time security guard

Name:  IMAG0051.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  32.6 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
mowens33
Grade 1

Bill, well said! I hope to get there some day!!

Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote